more terrain ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    for a good grass texture go to a college football field, also try flatening a small area of grass, that tends to bring good results. depends more on your skill with a camera though

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks everyone for the good words. I have my Digital camera everyday at work looking for a great grass texture. I spend alot of time at Golf courses so it should not be a problem. i hate the grass also. still have a ton of work to do before it is completed.
    the maps i build are mainly for GMC style of play. Giant maps clan.
    we like to run around like mini me's and use the insta-gib it will include reg weapons also! but it should be played with Low-G. and a super zoom.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Map looks like a work of art so far.

The only suggestion I have is to change the scale of the textures that you are using on the grass terrain. Seems like it is scaled a little small to my eye.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Elegant looking ! Mt house looks like that......

Leave a comment:

• replied
    rotate the trees randomly, scale them a bit differently in different axis, make them look a tad different than the one next to it. and scale that grass texture up some, it looks awful when it tiles every 2 inches. and im not too crazy about the white water rapids in the front, lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like this map. If your making the house non enterable then put some furniture or boxes like ppl just moved in, so players can see through the windows and say to themselves "**** I wish I could go in there" but make sure you dont give anything inside it colission. also would be a good idea to make the collision of the house a simple box since ppl cant go in it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You should vary the height of those trees to give them some variance, right now they're all the same height so it's pretty obvious it's the same mesh. Also, be careful with that one, it's 1100 polys.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    cool, I get the urge to skateboard in that pool tho lol
    the area around the house looks boring to me tho, : /
    also how is the layout going to work?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Up dated pics with grid at 16 and everything rebuilt. pics with no ambient light, just sunlight overcast clouds. **** map is killing my computer lmao but it looks kick ***! still lot of work to do

Leave a comment:

• replied
    right. im not bashing your map, i dont think im good enough to be a **** yet, lol. but im telling you from experience. and like angel, my map scarred me for life, lol. viridian has some of the worst bsp you can imagine, and i was lucky that the final build is pretty good. there are actually 2 small holes that no one probably notices, but i know theyre there. that is why i tell people to do their bsp right, because it serverly limited me towards the end of the process where i wanted to do some different things with the architecture, but couldnt because i couldnt edit the bsp. actually, the bsp was built on the grid and scaled up a bit. i wanted it to be close to UT.

since ive completed it, ive done a few other maps that i havent released, and none of which are finished anyway. ive also gone back and fixed all of the bsp in viridian and aligned it on the grid, and may do a 2004 re-remake with the new content and some custom stuff ive been working on as well. ive also modified the architecture, some of it, to make it less UT-ish (low flat cielings, boring walls, etc). i feel better about it, and have been meaning to update the one online, but im lazy.

so anyway, when i say put it on a 16 grid, damnit put it on a 16 grid and shut up, lol. its REALLY easy to fix, if you have the patience to do it. and no one will notice your wall is 12 units farther away, lol. also, this will avoid problems where small slivers of bsp get occluded and removed during the build process, producing small annoying bsp holes. dont say you dont have any, you may very well and just not know it.

and also, to critic your house there...fix the roof, lol. the white part there that connects the brown walls to the blue-gray roof are WAY too big, and make it look like the castle in mario 64.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dxtremefx
    Well all i wanted was some tips on how to smooth out my terrain just little better. and mostly what i received was raked over the coal's on how my maps suck and are going to run poorly. thats fine i can handel the criticism. and I have to tell you i have played some maps made buy the Experts and lets just say they dont perform well. but thats because I run a Min requires machine. so If my maps run well on my puter they will run well on most. but thanks all for your help and your Criticism. The map wil be played out side the house anyway not inside. not sure if that will matter. but I do plan to place Anti-port's in the needed locations a bit of fog, and collision hulls where needed. My next map I will turn down the grid size and maybe turn out some decent work. So I will be thankful that I am a lucky mapper.
    Not saying your maps suck, just giving you some advice to help them run as fast as they can, which is really important seeing as you're starting to get into the really detailed stuff. btw you never said wether you read the tutorials of mine that I linked.

Never made a map that didn't run fast, Elven Dreams being the obvious expception since it's just a remake of an already crappy running level. I did cut the poly count by over 100,000 by optimizing the UEd static meshes he made with 3d Max though. Scarred me for life, and is the reason I wrote the anti-UEd-mesh tutorial and **** it out so much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks every one for the Positive and the Neg feed back. I have seen some of Buzzes videos I will check out the Terrain one!
    I just went through all the terrain tutorials this morning top notch (as usual)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks every one for the Positive and the Neg feed back. I have seen some of Buzzes videos I will check out the Terrain one!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: more terrain ?'s

When using the smooting tool. if you look at my path between the walls. if you use the smoothing tool on the left side of the path it drops the terrian down but on the right side it raises it up Why is this?I just want to smooth the path out the same way on both sides.
    Yeah. Thats true. In that case use paint toll to make your hills instead of smooth tool (ctrl+right mouse button for lowering the terrain, ctrl+LMB for heighten the terrain). Try with 15 to 25 strenght setting and adjust the tool radius. After that you can use the smooth tool to smooth the areas that are to spike - strenght setting 1 to 2 with small radius.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Gusher

For terrain smoothing..did you see the 3dBuzz video on terrain creation?
    yeah.. .the Buzz videos rock!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X