more terrain ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more terrain ?'s

When using the smooting tool. if you look at my path between the walls. if you use the smoothing tool on the left side of the path it drops the terrian down but on the right side it raises it up Why is this?I just want to smooth the path out the same way on both sides.

I don't know why, and try smoothing it manually using the vertex editing tool.

Comment

looking at the pic, your map is doomed. why on earth do you have a 512x512 heightmap? that is adding 522,242 polys to your map. that is a TON! before you get any farther, i would recommend dropping it down to 256 or 128 if possible. that way people will be able to play your map, lol. 512 is WAY too much..

Comment

512 isn't too much if it uses proper optimization techniques.

Comment

looking at his grid setting of 1, his bsp which is all off the grid, and that jumble of a mesh, he isnt.

Comment

dxtremefx, nice looking house: ) About the terrain tools, NONE of them will exactly what you want automatically. There always comes a point where you have to vertex edit( never used it) or better still use the paint tool with a very small setting. For you sidewalk running up the hill I would get the general slope correct and then use the flatten tool with a setting of 1 to place the vertices to the right and left the same as the center. It takes a while, but it comes out perfect. ( I vote for the 128x128 or 256x256 heightmap : ) ).

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehed316
              looking at his grid setting of 1, his bsp which is all off the grid, and that jumble of a mesh, he isnt.
              Yeah, I'm paying attention. :bulb:

dxtremefx, I highly recommend you read these three tutorials of mine to get more understanding of the editor before you continue. It will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

http://www.unrealops.com/modules.php...wcontent&id=22
              http://www.unrealops.com/modules.php...t&id=84&page=1
              http://www.unrealops.com/modules.php...wcontent&id=37

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehed316
                First of all you can not even see all of the grid so how can you tell its off the grid? and what is the jumble of a mesh, you refering to my static mesh swimming pool? all my stuff lines up perfect.
                Well I prefer a grid setting of 1, I have built 20-30 maps in UT with a grid setting of 1, and have built 10- or more maps for UT 2k3, and they were all built on a grid setting of 1. and they all seem to run just fine with no BSP holes or H.O.M. problems.

you can check some of my 2k3 maps right here. I would recomend
                3 of them.
                DM-PPP-LivingRoom-Dx-fix
                DM-PPP-BachelorPad][-Dx
                CTF-KingsChamber-Dx-LTVR
                http://www.unrealplayground.com/mapper.php?id=3275

Comment

I recomend using a grid setting of 16, and then jumping down to lower settings when needed. btw fps regardless that house is looking very impressive.

Comment

Trust me, if the grid is less than 16, it's off the grid. You're just getting lucky because the maps you made don't have that complicated of geometry.

One other thing I would mention, try not to use meshes downloaded from 3d Max sites. The engine isn't quite ready for that level of detail. That living room map of yours has a 9000 poly staircase and an ├╝ber-chair with god knows how many (says 0 in the mesh browser, that's a bug).

Comment

It's unbelievable how much polys UED can handle......

Abuse the the editor......freely create!

Comment

Originally posted by Gusher
                        It's unbelievable how much polys UED can handle......

Abuse the the editor......freely create!

lol for the love of god no! or at least not until the hardware can take it.

Comment

Hey the static meshes from the 3-dsmax sights work fine if you optimize them correctly. and that stair case is about 9000 polys. but thats because I did it. the rest of the meshes like the bed are prefect and the maps run great unless you have a E-machine. and i know you dont.
                          Well all i wanted was some tips on how to smooth out my terrain just little better. and mostly what i received was raked over the coal's on how my maps suck and are going to run poorly. thats fine i can handel the criticism. and I have to tell you i have played some maps made buy the Experts and lets just say they dont perform well. but thats because I run a Min requires machine. so If my maps run well on my puter they will run well on most. but thanks all for your help and your Criticism. The map wil be played out side the house anyway not inside. not sure if that will matter. but I do plan to place Anti-port's in the needed locations a bit of fog, and collision hulls where needed. My next map I will turn down the grid size and maybe turn out some decent work. So I will be thankful that I am a lucky mapper.

Comment

I like what I see....... You go Dxtremefx!

With the style you have there you do what best fits your needs.............Design like an architect.....

For terrain smoothing..did you see the 3dBuzz video on terrain creation?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusher

For terrain smoothing..did you see the 3dBuzz video on terrain creation?
                              yeah.. .the Buzz videos rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X