Anti-portal issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-portal issues

I'm working on a CTF map and it's looking pretty good....
    i wanted to put anti-portals in and at first i put them in un-subtracted space ... that didn't work... and then i heard they had to be in subtracted space so i made a room that would just fit around the Anti-portal I wanted to put in.... subtracted the room... added the anti-portal... and rebuilt all.... the portal still didn't obclude any of the static meshes when i went to the wireframe view.... any ideas? if you need further info please ask ... i'll do my best to explain more if needed

i don't think it would be necessary to put them in... i had a fps of around 135 on the high end... averaged around 100 and on occasion would hit 55 fps (just for a brief period) I just think that if i coud get the anti-portal to work it would keep the fps higher...

AP's alot of times arent that nessicary on high end machines. its the low end gf3/p3 users who really feel them. they will thank you for it.

also, AP only need to be inside geometry by 1 unit, so just putting a corner of it in, or just putting it one unit in will work. also note that AP wont "work" in the editor. youll need to use rmode 1 in the game, if you arent already.

Comment

ok... i'll try putting it 1 unit into the big central room and see how that works...

as for AP's not working in the editor.... ? i've never had a problem with them not working in the editor before... in my map CTF-ZarkXtreme and in DM-Grims-Keep (linked in my sig) i used AP's and they worked (ocluded static meshes) while i was in the editor.

I'll try the rmode 1 in the game... and just a n00b question but to return to normal mode what would you type?

Comment

rmode 5

Comment

ok... Thanks Bonehed

Comment

very noob eys
            but what are anti-portals

Comment

anti-portals are brushes (usually a sheet) that is added into the level.... what an Anit-portal does is it stops the engine from rendering static meshes that are on the other side from the viewer.... they are used if you have a lot of static meshes in your level to speed things up.

That's probably a simple answer... i'm sure others could answer it in more detail or better than i could... but that's generally the idea.

Comment

from my understanding, AP shouldnt be sheets. they also occlude bsp nodes, which is probably their best function. they wont work online, though.

Comment

Re: Anti-portal issues

Originally posted by drwhojm
                  ... and then i heard they had to be in subtracted space so i made a room that would just fit around the Anti-portal I wanted to put in.... subtracted the room... added the anti-portal... and rebuilt all.... the portal still didn't obclude any of the static meshes when i went to the wireframe view....
                  I also tried this originally, but antiportals are also zone-specific, so an AP that's in an enclosed room (i.e. in its own zone) will never be in the same zone as the player, so will never be considered. Have them sticking a unit or two out of the BSP, but also sink them a unit or two into the floor, this helps to make them relevant to all zones that they might be seen in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehed316
                    from my understanding, AP shouldnt be sheets. they also occlude bsp nodes, which is probably their best function. they wont work online, though.
                    not to nag... but the AP can be any shape as long as it's not cresent shaped... meaning that as long as you can draw a line from any given point to any other given point on it... it'll work.
                    (my reference )

but reading Angelmapper's tutorials and the tuts at leveldesigner.com i have to ask a question.... does zone optimizing also do this? when i zone a map... does it render static meshes in another zone (providing the mesh isn't sticking into this zone)? Angel_Mapper..... can you shed some light?

Comment

Zoning is the main source of optimization for indoor maps. If you can't see a zone portal, nothing in the other zone is rendered (even if you're standing up against a wall looking directly toward the zone). If you CAN see a zone portal, only the objects you can see through that zone portal are rendered. Most of the maps I've looked at that use antiportals use them completely incorrect.

Comment

Great! that's just what i was hoping you'd say Angel_Mapper.... So the way it stands i don't need anti-portals in my level since i've zonded it.... perfect! well that made my day a whole lot easier i'm almost done my map.. i'll have to post some screen shots as soon as i can

Comment

any good tut's on zone portal's ?

Comment

Working...
                          X