Lightsource Shadows on StaticMeshes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightsource Shadows on StaticMeshes.

A long time ago someone(cant remember the author) created a mod for UT2003/4 where you could actually have your characters shadow stretch and react to the real world lights around them.
    Here's a short clip I made showing off a map I designed using the mod.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snb0uJSzPQ4

It works perfectly. The reason I started this thread though is to know if it'd be possible to cast such shadows on static meshes to, I figured if it could be done on moving character meshes, why not world static meshes also?
    If this could be done I could see a huge gain in level detail in UT2 maps designed with it in mind.

Character shadows: there is a real-time shadows mutator for UT2k4, no mod required.

StaticMesh shadows: ie. using lightmaps instead of the standard per-vertex staticmesh lighting, you don't want to do this with real-time lighting since it will kill the performance, you bake lightmaps into the staticmesh skin or create a UV2 lightmap for the mesh. It's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it, I've done a bit of it in some of my already released community maps, my next (and final) UT2k4 map is using lightmaps on most of the larger staticmeshes for much better visual quality.
    See Fordy's tutorial on baking and skinning. I actually do some things easier and quicker than his tutorial, but it will get you going in the right direction.
    The down-side to it with UT2k4 is the time spent simulating the map scene in Max/Maya to get the baked lightmap, whereas in UE3 this will be done directly by the engine lighting build to the staticmesh's lightmap UV channel.

Comment

Thanks man

Comment

Working...
      X