slowwwwwww

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slowwwwwww

well I just made a map using nothing but lots and lots of simple static meshes and even with a bunch of antiportals frame rate is terrible (eg 6fps when playing with 8 bots. OK my computer isn't the fastest thing but still I don't see how we are going to do it in U3 because one simple bsp wall with a fancy texture sure plays faster (albeit with a bigger file size) than a dozen static meshes.

So I must remake the stupid map - I was trying to be modular using thin rectangles 4x128x256 overlain with a slightly smaller rectangle, for decoration, assembling walls by stacking these pieces. Fooey, all that work wasted! To get the same effect I'll be able to use simple rectangle static meshes with dimensions multiplied but I'll have to make a texsizemodifier for every U,V multiple I use. So much simpler using BSP. Is there another way to do this?

Pic of the map?

Comment

Originally posted by [s§s]Bison_Boy View Post
      I just made a map using nothing but lots and lots of simple static meshes

I don't see how we are going to do it in U3

because one simple bsp wall with a fancy texture sure plays faster
      There is nothing wrong with maps using lots of staticmeshes.
      How did you create the StaticMeshes?
      Did you use Max/Maya and export a properly constructed (welded and UVW Mapped) StaticMesh?
      If you just did a Convert to StaticMesh, well don't do that, it results in StaticMeshes rendering as slow as BSP.
      Use "stat render" and see how many StaticMesh triangles you are rendering in the frustum, you should easily get 100,000 properly constructed on current hardware.

U3 (I assume UE3) uses a different culling system than UT2004, so handling large numbers of staticmeshes is much easier.

If one simple CSG brush is much faster, than you are most likely doing something wrong or not understanding the technique of optimized modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
        There is nothing wrong with maps using lots of staticmeshes.
        How did you create the StaticMeshes?
        Did you use Max/Maya and export a properly constructed (welded and UVW Mapped) StaticMesh?
        If you just did a Convert to StaticMesh, well don't do that, it results in StaticMeshes rendering as slow as BSP.
        Use "stat render" and see how many StaticMesh triangles you are rendering in the frustum, you should easily get 100,000 properly constructed on current hardware.

U3 (I assume UE3) uses a different culling system than UT2004, so handling large numbers of staticmeshes is much easier.

If one simple CSG brush is much faster, than you are most likely doing something wrong or not understanding the technique of optimized modeling.

No I didn't use Maya - LOL this was the last map before learning it. All I did was make the rectangular and triangular polys, select and convert to static mesh. I figured that this was so simple, 12 triangle each, that nothing could go wrong, ohhhh boy.

Using Antiportals, my triangles are down to at most 60-80,000. I still don't understand why its so slow but adding bots is what grinds me to a stop. (60FPS without any bots) Part of the problem, I think, is that I have several walls and floors where I leave a 16-32 unit space around each rectangle so that you can nip at the folks in the rooms from outside. A couple of rooms like that and I can see how the calculations are going to go way up, sigh, was a fun play that way. So much for building walls like using sheetrock.

I'll get a pic up soon, thanks

Comment

BSP brushes converted to static meshes is never a good idea, but simple box meshes should not be a problem. I suspect that one of your anti-portals is peeking out. Anti-portals must be completely enclosed by a static mesh or BSP, if it sticks out into 'game space' even a hair, your FPS will drop like a rock! Review your map and look at the APs. Also, do all your meshes have simple collision hulls? Open the mesh browser, and look at the name of the mesh, (in the display window), if the mesh name has an * in front of the name it has a collision hull. If not, add a simple DOP collision hull.

Tranz

Comment

Do a "stat all" and look at the collision time when you move to proximity of the walls.
            For high detailed wall structures, they are best created as a large tileable unit (ie. 1024 wide by 256 high by 16 thick) with a single large MCDCX Type 1 Simplified Collision (or K-DOP 6).
            Chances are the bots are eating up a lot of frame time in collision checks.
            Without seeing a screenshot I'm only guessing.

Comment

Working...
            X