• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

error involving projectors... WTF?

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2403 MHz with 2046MB RAM
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (9371)

Assertion failed: ProjectorInfo->Projector [File:.\UnRenderVisibility.cpp] [Line: 1642]

History: RenderLevel <- newmap3.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine:raw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
    Other than my PC's EXACT specs, what does this error actually MEAN? I only get it in maps where I have several projectors set up, but this is not the first time I've received it. Some help would be great, and I can post screenies from Ued if needed.

You can always try with disabling projectors from being rendered. You find an option for that in Settings menu: "Projectors" with a checkbox.

Comment

bump for the sake of this problem persisting to the point of unplayability.

Comment

I have isolated the problem to enabling the bLevelStatic to being False. (or true, I would have to check again) but either way, this simply will not do. I am unable to have a map with projectors on true blevelstatic, this causes my maps to crash and I would like to find a way to fix this error.

Comment

it is very hard to tell what is causing problems by looking at these error-messages. They give normally only a "hint" where the problem is located and what caused it.

Apparently UT2004 has got trouble to check if the projector is visible.
          Perhaps some optimization-problem (anti-portals), driver-problems or so.
          But I can't exactly tell what might cause this error...

Comment

Are you using your own custom projector Textures?
            Are they correctly set up with TC_Clamp (which is better to use than the Projector Clip property)?
            Are they using proper Border Pixel when DXT compressing them (requires third party software as UnrealEd can't do this).

Are you setting the projector properties correctly for things such as FOV, the type of world geometry etc. that it is projected onto, the projector distance, etc.?

Without knowing more about or seeing the map, the projector could be set up incorrectly, and issues are occuring when the engine attempts to render it.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
              Are they using proper Border Pixel when DXT compressing them (requires third party software as UnrealEd can't do this).
              umm please elaborate, what is proper border pixel? I use GIMP to make my textures btw

Comment

Originally posted by [s§s]Bison_Boy View Post
                umm please elaborate, what is proper border pixel? I use GIMP to make my textures btw
                If the Projector Texture has any alpha'ed style edge, for example if you were projecting graffiti text, blast marks, splotches, then you must create a DXT texture with what is called Border Pixel.

Otherwise when the texture is projected using any of the smaller Mip levels, you will see a smearing occur on the texture, which will usually get worse as you get further away from the projected texture.

To fix this, each MipMap must have a 0-value (transparent) pixel border.
                You can use tools like the NVidia NDXT tools to create DXT3/5 textures that include the Border Pixel.

Note that this should also always be used on Emitter textures that include transparent/alpha edges.

The only other "hack fix" is to use an excessively large amount of blank border around the texture.
                ie. if it were a corona halo dot, you could make the dot only about 1/4 to 1/2 of the texture size, but then all of that extra blank border area will decrease rendering performance as it causes what is called Pixel Overshoot.

Comment

Working...
                X