Static Mesh package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static Mesh package

I am building a level with custom textures and static meshes. When i import my mesh into UEd and then save my map and close the ap it asks if i want to save one of the Original game packages because it's been changed. So my question is two part: first, can I simply embed all static meshes in the map file to make a single file for distribution; second, how do i make a new package with just my meshes, textures, etc. in it?

I know this is a nube question, but I couldnt' find any info in the search. Thanks.

I've never figured out why the editor will say that some of the Unreal Packages have been changed, when you've only examined some of their properties. I just always say "no" to saving the game packages.

As to your second question, you can save your own textures and mesh's to a file, just import them, then go to the file menu and click Save. Give your save file a name and then it will be a package like any other. However most people prefer you to keep your mesh and textures in the myLevel package, which embeds them into your map.

Comment

Ok, so when I import the mesh as a static mesh, is it automatically put in myLevel package or in the game's packages?

Comment

the Editor assumes you want to import the static mesh into whatever package is open in the browser, so that package & group name will show up in the import dialog. if one of the Epic packages is open and you just click OK, the import will go into that package -- possibly why it asked you if it should be saved.

change the package to myLevel (group to whatever you want) to embed the SM in your map. the import will be saved with the map.

for an external package, use a package name different from any other package already in use -- it must differ in more than the file extension (e.g., don't use names like myPackage.usx and myPackage.utx -- myStatMeshes.usx and myTextures.utx is better).

btw never alter the packages shipped with the game.

Comment

Thinker, are you the thinker I know? From A/D? This is Kilter.

Comment

I recommend ALWAYS putting custom stuff in the MyLevel package, less files to keep track of. I usually don't install maps with stuff in separate packages. I learned that lesson from UT99 when I ended up looking through a lot of the stuff I had downloaded and most of the custom packages only had about 3 textures in them.

Comment

i agree Angel, though with a lot of custom content, making separate packages for the development stages can be more efficient 'cause you don't have to have an instance of everything in your map for it to be saved. this requires an "embedding session" after the map's done, though, which can be a bit gnarly for some types of resource.

Comment

Yeah, this is A/D[Thinker2501]. Ok I got the mesh in myLevel, but now the instert into level button won't insert the mesh. I can see it in the browser, it looks fine, i have the texture applied to it. All i want to do is put it in the level. It shouldn't be that hard argggghhhhh...**** you Ued, **** yoouuuuuu!!!!!

Comment

Don't use that button, just right click in one of the viewports and hit Add Static Mesh Here.

Comment

I must be inept, when i do right click to insert it is i flash of an actor, then nothing is there. Is there some sort of step on importing i'm not doing right. Does anyone know of a tutorial on importing meshes?

Comment

Working...
                    X