Static Mesh invisable one side, not the other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think you might have misunderstood. ALL of your brushes are like this, you'll have to realign them all to the grid. And make sure you're in vertex edit mode otherwise it will just snap the whole brush and not the individual vertices.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    try going into build options and changing the two sliders a little see if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    None of your brushes are aligned to the grid, it's a bsp error causing that. Select a brush, then using the vertex editing tool (the button next to the camera), select each vertex of the brush and right click it to snap it to the grid. And make sure the grid is always set to snap (the grid button on the left here):

Also, your fluid surfaces are killing your framerate, I'd recommend lowering the FluidXSize and FluidYSize, and increasing the FluidGridSpacing instead.
    I tried aligning the grid unfortunately that didn't seem to accomplish what I needed, rather it forced the wall out on the settings of 32 or 64, higher versions just made it jut out.

The fluid i'll just remove as I'm trying to optomize the map, I still don't know how that happened to the shelf as I didn't modify it before.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    None of your brushes are aligned to the grid, it's a bsp error causing that. Select a brush, then using the vertex editing tool (the button next to the camera), select each vertex of the brush and right click it to snap it to the grid. And make sure the grid is always set to snap (the grid button on the left here):

Also, your fluid surfaces are killing your framerate, I'd recommend lowering the FluidXSize and FluidYSize, and increasing the FluidGridSpacing instead.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    Broken antiportal?
    I checked the actors and can't see any broken ones or out of place, however it seems to act like a mirror effect when I removed the static meshes as this screenshot showed... You can see people inside, it's like they're walking on air.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9...seshelfiy2.jpg This shows once i removed it a huge mirror effect.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1...eshelf2dd8.jpg This is from looking outside of it.

Very odd and I have no idea of what could be causing it.

http://shifta.net/ONS-MasterBathv2-Edit.rar Is the map in question

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Broken antiportal?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
    I can't tell from the screenshots, but do the mesh objects actually have faces on all sides?
    In a mesh, only one side of a polygon is actually rendered (the surface normal side), the other side is "invisible" (nothing rendered). So if you are inside of a cube, you actually don't see the sides of the cube.
    So to make a sheet visible from both sides you either have to put faces on both sides with normals pointing each direction, or use a two-sided material...

When you insert StaticMeshes and other certain objects, they snap to the current grid setting.
    So if your CSG Brushes or Terrain are not lined up on the grid (which it is normal for Terrain to be off-grid), then the inserted object will snap to the nearest grid location.
    This is completely normal.
    You can decrease your grid spacing size (eg: from 16 to 8 or 4) if you wish to move a staticmesh more closely to its base. However, it is recommended to never turn grid snap off.
    And to make inserting objects onto CSG Brush surfaces easier, you should always work with CSG Brushes that are on grid multiples of 16 or larger. CSG Brushes should rarely be created on grid spacings smaller than 16, except in the case of fine trim etc.
    They would yes. I just noticed something as well, as soon as I enabled Dynamic lighting they vanish from sight.

Any ideas? Everything seems right and I don't remember modifying anything there.

Ti sum it up, it's almost like something is blocking anything from seeing the planks, players are visable when on it from a distance, it just looks like they're walking on air, when you enter it, you can then see inside. I'm baffled. Even more so then when dynamic light is enabled, the planks vanish.

Perhaps the map itself could help more? If so I could link you to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can't tell from the screenshots, but do the mesh objects actually have faces on all sides?
    In a mesh, only one side of a polygon is actually rendered (the surface normal side), the other side is "invisible" (nothing rendered). So if you are inside of a cube, you actually don't see the sides of the cube.
    So to make a sheet visible from both sides you either have to put faces on both sides with normals pointing each direction, or use a two-sided material...

When you insert StaticMeshes and other certain objects, they snap to the current grid setting.
    So if your CSG Brushes or Terrain are not lined up on the grid (which it is normal for Terrain to be off-grid), then the inserted object will snap to the nearest grid location.
    This is completely normal.
    You can decrease your grid spacing size (eg: from 16 to 8 or 4) if you wish to move a staticmesh more closely to its base. However, it is recommended to never turn grid snap off.
    And to make inserting objects onto CSG Brush surfaces easier, you should always work with CSG Brushes that are on grid multiples of 16 or larger. CSG Brushes should rarely be created on grid spacings smaller than 16, except in the case of fine trim etc.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Static Mesh invisable one side, not the other

Static Mesh invisable one side, not the other

Hello, I've been having some difficulty while modifying a map, basically everything else has been working out nicely thus far except two things. I'm still fairly new to this but caught on to some of it.

In the images below I have a shelf, from the player viewed side it's invisible entirely until you are inside it, then you can see the shelves and the node. I have no anti portals or brushes that I know of occluding it. Does anyone have any ideas?

http://shifta.net/Buggy1.jpg - Front view where it's invisible

http://shifta.net/buggy2.jpg - Rear view outside map you can plainly see them.

What gives? I'm at a loss here.

The second piece which is the most embarrassing is, whenever I place objects, I cannot for the life of me get them to line up onto the ground, veichles, pickups anything. Any advice so they end up on the ground, not merged into it?

Thanks!
Working...
X