Physics volume dissapears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physics volume dissapears

I'm tagging areas of my map for TAM using Default Physics Volumes. When I rebuild they dissapear in the editor. I have the View > Volumes on but they still dont appear. I'd like to keep seeing them so whats up?

Also they dont appear in wireframe mode... why would they dissapear?

For simply adding location names use a regular "Volume", not one of the others.

Plus, you normally do not insert DefaultPhysicsVolume actors into your map, you essentially only want one DefaultPhysicsVolume in a map (otherwise it isn't a "default" anymore, is it...), and one is instantiated by the engine automatically.

Comment

Thanks DG.. so I'd click on the add volume button, but then it gives u a choice of what kind you'd like to add... is physics volume the one i'd choose?

Comment

You want just "Volume" on the popup list.

In UnrealEd3 you have the choices in the popup menu of:

BlockingVolume
        Volume <- you want this one for simply adding location names to a map
        LadderVolume
        PhysicsVolume
        DefaultPhysicsVolume
        PressureVolume
        WaterVolume
        LeavingBattleFieldVolume

Comment

Mahalos! bradabradakine

Another note.. Im using cube builder brush as blocking volumes and those volumes are doing their job. I tried using sheet brush to make a flat blocking volume but its not workin out... everything is getting thru it.. sheet brush cant be used as blocking volume ig..

Comment

All volumes must be a "volume". A sheet has no volume to it. You can make it a thin cube though, such as 8 or 16 UUs thick.

Comment

Ya the ones im doing in the power room are 4 thick so as Valk suggested players can fight with back to the wall and keep on rollin

Comment

You *could* just start with a cube and vertex-edit it; the volumes don't actually need to be flat. What if you somehow got stuck inside one--like if you were playing lowgrav and could jump that high?

Comment

Originally posted by IceCreamYou View Post
                  You *could* just start with a cube and vertex-edit it; the volumes don't actually need to be flat. What if you somehow got stuck inside one--like if you were playing lowgrav and could jump that high?
                  Negative, Ice Cream, the volumes are pretty tight against the wall.. good catch tho, but too close to get stuck behind.

Comment

Instead of using 3 "sheets" of volumes, use a cube that is pulled into a trapezoid column shape.

This will prevent players from being able to jump into the crawlspace you created or throwing a projectile into it. Additionally, you should make those volumes as tall as you can (ceiling to floor), spanning several levels since they are blocking the collision of that column that sticks out in the same place ... this will also prevent players from being able to jump ON TOP of your volume and using it as a camp position etc. You can block the entire volume and not just use blocking volumes to block access to the edge of the volume.
                    Use Blocking volumes for this purpose. If you block the entire static mesh you can turn the static mesh's collision off (except when outdoors).

Comment

sweet thanx I'll give it the switcheroo

Comment

Working...
                      X