Scaling terrain or skybox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling terrain or skybox?

I'm building my first map and am still learning the ropes. I'm a good way into it and have a skybox which has terrain in it, mainly just for mountains that run along the walls. The problem is now I feel like the mountains look too far off in the distance in my map so that I feel like I'm playing on a big plateau in the middle of a huge plain which is surrounded by mountains (from the skybox).

I'd like to bring those mountains in my skybox in closer to the middle so they won't feel so far off in the distance in my map.

I'm guessing this is not easy if at all possible but does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, The idea of making the skybox seem closer is a bit difficult to do, because the closer you bring certain items to the skyzoneinfo, the bigger they seem, not closer. The perspective parallax (the ratio of closer things moving more or less inversely as the viewing party traverses) is what makes things seem so far off. My guess? to perform what you are asking, just scale the terrain with the terrain properties: double click on your skybox's terrain actor (the 2D sprite, not the 3D terrain) and find the terrainInfo section, find Terrain scale and adjust the three dimensions as you will.

This seems like a complex point-of-veiw problem that cant be solved with numbers: if this does not solve your problem, a picture would help. Post a picture of your map that exemplifies your problem, if you cant post one, contact me on AIM and send a picture VIA AIM's file sharing process.

Comment

Hey thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess it's not that hard to scale terrain! I actually went ahead and just edited and modified my skybox terrain to have more mountains everywhere, but this is good to know for the future.

Comment

Working...
      X