Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make textures masked, scroll, transparent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Ballistic Bliss View Post
    UDN seemed like more of an overview and didn't really document step-by-step instructions pertaining to any single task in particular, so I just figured it out on my own.

The only time you see the author's name is single player mode during the selection screen. Online players never see it at all.

Can you tell us anything else new about the UT2007 editor? Will it be called UEd4?

Are they planning to offer any method or utility for converting current maps to the next platform?
    Yes UDN is more of a reference than a tutorial site.

You can also add your name to the LevelEnterText property in the Level Properties.LevelInfo, I believe that is shown to all online players who enter a map.

I don't believe Epic is calling it UnrealEd4 directly, that is no longer on the startup splash screen, but I'm sure many people in the community will. UT2007 Editor will most likely be the proper name.
    The new editor does look similar in some ways to UnrealEd3, but is considerably different in many areas. Unreal Engine 3's procedures to create most assets is also different, as is much of the actual map creation process.

No conversion method that I know of.
    You won't be able to copy/paste CSG Brushes across either (I tried and it crashes the Editor).
    So any CSG will have to be manually reconstructed (although CSG is now minimized in use due to no Zones etc.).
    StaticMeshes can still be imported but will usually require some modifications in Max/Maya to support the new per-pixel lightmaps and changes to the culling/optimization system.
    Textures can be imported, but you can no longer assign a texture directly to surfaces, it must be made into a Material first.
    Most part-time mappers will have a steep learning curve.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks again Dave.

UDN seemed like more of an overview and didn't really document step-by-step instructions pertaining to any single task in particular, so I just figured it out on my own.

One other thing I hope UT2007 does is return to displaying the author's name of the current map (F1) like Unreal used to. I think it would encourage more mappers if they got at least a smidgeon of credit for the maps they make. The only time you see the author's name is single player mode during the selection screen. Online players never see it at all.

Can you tell us anything else new about the UT2007 editor? Will it be called UEd4?

Are they planning to offer any method or utility for converting current maps to the next platform?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by prograham View Post
    Icecream- your webpage is hilariously dated looking. I dl'd your level (it just looked too ugly to pass up, haha <half kidding>) and will give you feedback if you want.
    I know. Isn't it great?
    I just got it up like 2-3 months ago and I've been packed with work so I've had no time to update it at all. I actually have a bunch of it redone but my computer's not letting me upload the updates for some reason.
    Sure, I'll take feedback. It's an old, terrible map, but hey, feedback's always good. Maybe at some point I'll even redo it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The wiki needs serious help but there is a lot of good info in there. Like DG said, not knowing which engine a page is talking about is one of the biggest problems with it right now.

UDN looks like the treasure trove of answers. I'm just getting back into design and had forgotten about it. Thanks again DG.

Icecream- your webpage is hilariously dated looking. I dl'd your level (it just looked too ugly to pass up, haha <half kidding>) and will give you feedback if you want.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
    No such thing as a dumb question...
    Except one that's dumb purposely...
    Also look at the other Materials, such as TexOsc and TexRot, they are fun.
    Fun. what a novel word.

Glad I could contribute to this discussion.
    I usually go to UDN first, then Wiki. Wiki is too much of a mess and contains mixed info on pages that is not separated for each engine which can get too confusing.
    The wiki is best for quick information, for example what the properties of a given actor do. Some tutorials written by specific people (only) are also good. Beyond that, the wiki doesn't have a lot of use--but I've found myself linking people to the wiki a lot lately simply because they don't know what actors are supposed to do.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No such thing as a dumb question...

In UT2004 you create a TexPanner Material. See UDN.
    Also look at the other Materials, such as TexOsc and TexRot, they are fun.

bMask and bAlpha are located in the Texture's properties under Surface. See UDN.
    bAlpha requires the texture to have an alpha channel of course.
    You can also mess around with these settings on Shader and FinalBlend materials.

I usually go to UDN first, then Wiki. Wiki is too much of a mess and contains mixed info on pages that is not separated for each engine which can get too confusing.

Leave a comment:

• How to make textures masked, scroll, transparent?

Dumb question, but how do I set the vpan or upan speed of a texture, say if I want clouds or a water texture to scroll.

When I click on the texture's properties, I see 4 tabs, none of which contain the vpan or upan check boxes like in Ued2.

Also, how do you check on/off a texture's color masking? I noticed I can set it while importing a new texture, but can't I check-on color masking of an already saved texture?

Same for transparent textures?

I looked in Unreal.Wiki but they didn't say exactly how to do it.

Is there a better tutorial for ut2004?

Thanks.
Working...
X