UED Why so many textures in memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UED Why so many textures in memory?

I was wondering why Ued also loads so many textures, models and sounds to memory.

I would like to have only those textures being used by me in memory but even on a normal start up there are 200 mb of stuff I mostly dont use loaded to ram and not swapped out.

Anyone know how to get rid of the unwanted memory resident stuff ?

Otherwise when building a large map it lags on swaps to disk.

Thanks!

Mcshlong
    http://marsmod.com

mcshlong, many of those are used by the Unreal engine, however they aren't all really loaded in the way you may think. It actually is quicker for some content to load at startup, the editor doesn't have to constantly decide what to load. You have more loaded in your level than loaded by default, I have 250 meg used right now, plus two web pages loaded. With nothing but services running, I have 85 meg used; so 250 minus 85 equals 165 meg. Also, I don't think all that is actually "full", some is being held by Windows. There is now way to "unload" these default packages. BTW, open Maya PLE with a few models and Ued3 and see how much memory is used; I have had over 1200 meg before.

Comment

You'll actually find that most of those packages that load at runtime are .u files in the System folder, that have had textures and other resources imported through scripts instead of manually through the editor. XEffects is one example. And since these scripts all run when you open the editor, therefore the associated resources are also loaded.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

In my opinion its really poor programming style to load 150 mb of stuff into ram that we most likely dont need.

UED is great. But memory management is one area I think it could be improved.

If anyone knows a way to get it to load up without the resources in ram let me know. Thanks.

:>

Comment

mcshlong, I don't think you realise what you are asking. Even the free Unreal Runtime uses 65 meg, and it loads very little compared to UT2003. This is a very complex game engine, to accomplish all we expect it to as a game requires it to push all the components of our computers to their limits. As DarkSaber explained, most of what loads is absolutely required for the editor to work with textures, static meshes, emitters and particles, weapons and pickups and so on. These aren't just static items, everything in the game interacts with about everything else, and those interactions require code, .u files, textures, meshes and so on. If you open Maya PLE WITHOUT the unreal editor and without loading anything, Maya consumes 126 meg of memory.

Comment

Yeah, all of that stuff is just things the editor needs to be able to let you make your level. For example, you want weapons in your level right? Well, the editor will have to open all the weapon scripts, meshes, animations and textures. BUT... the weapon scripts also have references to the muzzle flashes, projectiles, scorch marks, blood spurts etc, so it has to load those too. All those subclasses under xEmitter? That's what those are, and that's why they're loaded. Things are so interconnected in the engine that we just have to deal with certain things such as this.

Comment

Ued is as good as it gets so I shouldnt complain too much.

Ill go get some more ram I guess. I think Ill end up with a gig. Do other people have a gig?

Right now I have 500 mb.

Comment

I have a gig of DDR. I had 512 of SD before though, never had any problems. I was running UEd, 3DMax, Photoshop and Winamp at the same time too. :bulb:

Comment

never had any problems. I was running UEd, 3DMax, Photoshop and Winamp at the same time too
                  Add to that a few folders, numerous notepad windows, command prompt, Explorer, and jumping into the game to test stuff at the same time Lots of RAM is a good thing

Comment

Next Tuesday I am going to go get 2 sticks of 256 mb Rdram 1066 mhz to go with my 2 sticks of 256 mb Rdram 800 mhz. So Ill go from 500 mb to 1 gig ram. That ought to jazz up things.

:>

Comment

Working...
                    X