• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i create my own map?

I looked in help and i could not find anything

Originally posted by jstaffen View Post
    Join 3D Buzz. You will find an extensive forum there as well as the downloads for all their video tutorials, very informative.

Duca

Comment

how do i create my own map?
      An impossibly short question with no simple answer, but I would start with "Having a bucket load of free time and a copy of UED running".

The rest is a long process of learning and building, there is plenty of info on the internet though (google).

Good Luck!

Comment

I think that you should start from this site:
        http://architectonic.planetunreal.ga...rst_level.html

Comment

more help

Another very good way to become familiar with anything is to see how it was made, reverse engineer it, etc.

Open existing maps in the editor and see what components are there.

aK

Comment

Unreal Wiki is the most complete informative website on Mapping, modding and mutators I have ever seen.

Check it out here.

Comment

you`v just been tricked by a bot :P

Comment

I'm familiar with bots, because Unreal Playground gets thousands of them, but what would be the point of bot without links?

Comment

http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259

Comment

use unreal ed and watch tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by jstaffen View Post
                      Uh.
                      Well, see, there's this program called UnrealEd. Depending on what game you bought, you will have a certain version of it; the most recent is UnrealEd 4, which was released with the recent puzzle-solver Roboblitz. If you bought Unreal 2004, you have UEd 3.

Open UnrealEd. See the 3D shapes on the left side of the screen? Click one. Click on the red outline of the shape you see now in any of the viewports. Hit [ctrl] + [s]. Right-click inside the new world you've created and choose "Add Playerstart here." Click Build>Rebuild from the menu at the top, and your map is ready to play (click the button that looks like a joystick at the top all the way on the right).

Yeah.

I strongly suggest you buy the book Mastering Unreal Technology to get started. It will walk you through the theory and the basics you need to know to make a map that's more complex than the box/cube/cone/sphere you've just made. Once you've done that, if there's anything you don't understand, research it first on the UnrealWiki, UDN (Unreal Developers' Network), or Architectonic, and if all else fails, Google. If you still don't understand something, feel free to post a question here at the Epic Forums, at BUF (BeyondUnreal Forums) or at 3D Buzz.

Before you start, know that it's extremely difficult to make something that looks good, and I'm not just saying that. It's a long road to success and there aren't very many of us that understand more than 50% of how the engine/editor works. It's also a steep learning curve, and there's a ton of information you have to digest and understand before you'll begin to see the results of your work. To truly make a nice-looking map in UEd2.5 or later, you'll also have to learn to use 3D modelling programs like Blender, 3DSMax, Maya, Milkshape, etc. as well as texture-creation programs like GIMP or Photoshop. These programs range from free to $3500.

Good luck on your quest! Also note that, with the release of UT2007, the learning curve will be even steeper with many more utilities to learn. Also, other peoples' maps will look increasingly stunning.

Another thing: for good mappers working full- or part-time, maps can take two to eight weeks. For those of us who only have a few hours to spare each weekend, they can take months.

Comment

I would start with the Editors Choice DVD version of UT2004.

It has hours and hours of training videos for ya !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IceCreamYou View Post

Another thing: for good mappers working full- or part-time, maps can take two to eight weeks. For those of us who only have a few hours to spare each weekend, they can take months.
                          Hmmm, Im barely starting in all this map making business. Is there any online groups dedicated in map making that I could join? any non-online groups that you guys know of? any networking groups?

Comment

Originally posted by popeyito2001 View Post
                            Hmmm, Im barely starting in all this map making business. Is there any online groups dedicated in map making that I could join? any non-online groups that you guys know of? any networking groups?
                            Uh... like this one? BeyondUnreal? 3DBuzz?
                            You could always join/start a clan I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                            X