MayaPLE scale problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MayaPLE scale problem

Hey I am working with maya PLE for some time now and it works fine, exept that with every mesh I export the scale I enter in the Attribute editor doesnt seem to have any effect. All the meshes end up in UnrealEd being really small. I tried some things and found out that 1 unit in Maya equals 1 unit in Unrealed, so all the meshes are really very small. Not such a big problem because it's easy to fix by changing the drawscale of the Static Mesh, but a little weird.

Anyone knows why or how it should be fixed?

I can't get scale on export to work for some reason either.. so my workaround ->

1. add to level
    2.change to desired drawscale
    3.rightclick static, click convert to static mesh
    4.done, now it is in mylevel(or whatever other package) and is the correct scale

this saves you the trouble of giving its set in maya any attributes because you can just assign them in ued after you change its scale ^__^

have fun mapping ^_^

Comment

hmm... interesting.

And I will have some fun mapping, dont worry ^_^

Comment

Re: MayaPLE scale problem

Originally posted by DJJD
        All the meshes end up in UnrealEd being really small.
        Do you restore the scales before exporting?
        I think UED reads all scales only as the size 1 on meshes imported from MayaPLE, if your model has sizes like X=300 Y=150 Z=50, UED will anyway read them as X=1 Y=1 Z=1.
        Select your model and choose Modify - Freeze Transformations, that restores all scales to size 1 without changing the model's size.

Comment

Salem78's right -- always Freeze Transformations before exporting, including transforms and rotations, or your models may not export exactly as they are seen in Maya.

if you find yourself setting the DrawScale3D values, you can just use that value (assuming it's equal on all axes) as a multiplier for the Scale property of your set in Maya and re-export the mesh. i've used Scale values from 0.5 to 256 with no hassles. make sure you set it as a float when adding the Scale attribute.

the default Maya workspace is rather small compared to that of UEd, but a 1 to 1 unit ratio is a good thing, saves conversion calcs. you can zoom out for a larger workspace and enlarge the grid so it's useful over the larger area.

Comment

If you use the default grid scale in MayaPLE then I believe that 1 unit in Maya will equal 1 unit on the grid in UnrealEd. This will make your models really small in UnrealEd. You will need to scale them up to match the size you desire.

Comment

where do I have to apply freeze transformations to?
              When I select the mesh and then do freeze transformations it says it works, but after transporting the mesh is still very small.
              It does move the object from the center if I did that in Maya, that will come in handy though. It just doesnt change the size.

When I select the set name in the Outliner window and then do freeze transformations I get the same error as when I havent got anything selected:

Error: Insufficient arguments. Expected 1, found 0.

Comment

Freeze Transformation works on objects, not sets. you can select the objects in the set and freeze them, but not the set itself, it's really just sort of a container for the objects.

if your model is 5x5x5 units in Maya after Freeze Transformations (be sure to include Scale in the freeze options) it will be 5x5x5 units in UEd unless you set the Scale property of your exported set to a value other than 1.0

when you create the additional attributes for your set (package, group and scale), are you making Scale a float? if so, then enter a value of 10 for Scale and try an export -- it should be 10x larger in UEd than if the Scale was 1.0. so your 5x5x5 object in Maya should be 50x50x50 in UEd. it's always worked that way for me.

Comment

Well Chip, thats the whole problem. Scale is included in the freeze options, Scale is set to Float, and a value > 1 is entered. But this doesnt seem to have any effect as the scale stays the same (wich is very small, still 5x5x5 in your example).

Comment

just to be clear that i understand your prob, i'll list the steps you're taking as i understand them. please correct if i've described anything wrong.

1) setting the Scale in the Maya Channel Box enlarges your object in Maya, then you Freeze Transformations for that object, including Scale. Scale values in the Channel Box are reset to 1.

2) in the Attributes for the set you've created for your object, you set the additional attribute Scale (originally created as type Float) to >1 (let's say 10).

3) you export the object using unEditor.mll, but the object is the same size in UEd as when you export it with the set's Scale attribute = 1.0?

if this is the procedure you're doing, i'm stumped, 'cause it's never failed when i've used the same steps.

Comment

yup.

Oh, and you're not really stupid, let's just blame it on a combination of Microsoft, Digital Extremes and Alias software-bugs

Comment

I experienced the same thing, and from my research it had something to do with upgrading to latest uneditor.mll, which no longer takes the scale into account for whatever reason. And I couldn't use the other tool out there (forgot the name) because there's no version that runs with the PLE version.

I said to hell with it and switched to 3dms. It's easier to use anyway. Haven't had any issues since.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Kismet
                          I experienced the same thing, and from my research it had something to do with upgrading to latest uneditor.mll, which no longer takes the scale into account for whatever reason. And I couldn't use the other tool out there (forgot the name) because there's no version that runs with the PLE version.

I said to hell with it and switched to 3dms. It's easier to use anyway. Haven't had any issues since.
                          ok, to clarify, i'm talking about using Maya 4.0.1 PLE from the UT2003 CD#3, and the plugin version that shipped with it. can't say anything about 4.5. which version are you using, DJJD?

btw, didn't say "stupid," said "stumped." big diff, 'specially if all the info isn't at hand.

Comment

Im using all the original CD3 material, so Maya 4 PLE with the plugin shipped with it.

btw, sorry, never been that good in English reading

Comment

not sure i can help, but if you want to send me the problem file i'd be happy to take a look at it. send me a PM if interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X