Unreal Ed Crashes when I try making a large terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Ed Crashes when I try making a large terrain

I've tried a few times to create a large Terrain (the skybox would be around 16000, so my terrain is like 250x250), but I always get an error (see below). Is this a common problem which can be fixed, or am I trying to create too large of a terrain?

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 900 MHz with 319MB RAM
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (Microsoft Corporation) (5673)

General protection fault!

History: FStaticTexture::GetTextureData <- myLevel.keithter.Terrain <- FD3DTexture::Cache <- FD3DRenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3DRenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- FCanvasUtil::Flush <- UCanvas:rawTile <- UCanvas::WrappedPrint <- (Terrain) <- UCanvas::WrappedPrintf <- DrawTerrainHeightmap <- REN_TerrainHeightmap <- UUnrealEdEngine:raw <- (Cam=TerrainHeightmap,Flags=640 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- WPageToolsTerrains::RefreshViewport <- WPageToolsTerrains::OnTerrainsSelectionChange <- WPageToolsTerrains::RefreshTerrains <- WPageToolsTerrains::Refresh <- WPageToolsTerrains::OnNewTerrain <- WButton::InterceptControlCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

terrain must follow the same rule as textures...because you're creating a heightmap which basically is a texture...they must be a power of 2...so like 64x64...128x128 or 256x256 are all common and acceptable sizes for terrain...I don't recommend sizes higher than that though

Comment

Pointless I think this guys talking terrain scale and he has adjusted the terraininfo props terrainscale to 250X250x? or whatever? His 900 mhz processor is below the requirements to run UT2004 and im suprized he can even load the editor let alone build a terrain map of any size so? Some terrain scales are way bigger like 1000x1000x? Like ONS-Torlan is 350x350x52 but of course to build that is going to tax your system during every build so you need a bit more CPU there guy! Plus that MX card I would say is pretty low end too.

Terrain scale can be just about what ever you want after you make the initial heightmap. It will just stretch the textures on layer then you can re adjust your texture layers in the terraininfo props ect. Usually Your terrain scale will be like for a normal/medium sized terrain 100x100x64.

But when you first use the terrain builder to make the first terraininfo its going to give you I believe a default 128x128 heightmap in the mylevel textures browser and that is not the terrain scale!

Anyway good luck! :mdr1:

Comment

My computer is terribly old, but it runs UT2004 fine for some reason. So I guess it was my processer, eh?

Comment

I would say so my friend cause the editor will really tax your system CPU and memory and graphics card when trying to use it and sometimes way more than just playing the game.

Not saying you cant use it by tweek but I suspect the problems you are having do not have anything to do with what your trying to build but with your lack of system requirements to play the game or use the editor. Look in the manual.pfd file in the UT2004/system/manual folder and it shows you the system requirements there says 1.0 GHZ amd or faster so if your using the 900 MHZ it should not even run unless you make setting all performance or ??

But bottom line is you are way low so using the editor is going to be tough! :grrrrr:

Comment

Its not even that bad... its a little slow to start up, but all the functions work at what i'd say is a good speed... and as for the game, I have most of the settings on low, 800x600 reso. and it runs fine.

Comment

Yes well I wish you luck and hope that we have helped you with your original terrain building problem!

Sometimes you can just delete what you got and start over on it then next try it might be ok. :hitting-self:

Comment

What resolution is your actual Heightmap?
                You mention a 16000 Skybox, I assume that you are using this to create terrain in a skybox for fake backdrop. So in that case you should be able to get by with a low resolution Heightmap, which may fix your problem.

Comment

Working...
                X