Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by sandorski
    He's already tried making the cylinder that way, but wants to be able to walk into it. Someone previously suggested a better way of making it, that is to make a Solid Cylinder, then Subracting out a smaller Cylinder inside of it. Unfortunetly that can't be made into a SMesh though.
    Well yes IT can.

Create the cylinder
    Subtract a hole throught it.
    Place a sqaure red cube around the cyclinder and intersect the red brush, presto a hollow builder brush you can then convert to static mesh and walk through,,,, exactly the same method as I mentioned above. But more complex.

But I think I understand what he wants, a cyclinder without thickness. You won't do that using BSP, you will need maya or max so you can remove the ends of the cyclinder, then use a FinalBlend texture with TwoSided=True. But using that type of mesh will cause problems with the karma engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Between two "rooms" you have a window. This window will be rectangular. Make the red brush a sheet (the button that looks like a square, not a cube, choose the "Regular Brush" setting, solid) and turn the sheet so that it is a rectangle where you want the window glass to be. Then pick a texture for it, either class, or mirror, or whatever you want it to look like, and subtract it.
    It will then appear as a two sided sheet. If you convert that to a mesh, it will only appear as once sided, as you want. If it is clear on the wrong side, just rotate the mesh.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    um, could u put that into ued newb terms plz

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Killer909
    you can make a mesh that has once face clear and the other not clear. I think if you convert a mirror sheet to a static mesh it will only display one side.

Use sheets.

Sheets have NO collsion applied to them by default.

What you'd probably wanna do is subtract out a cube for your window.I usually go ahead and put in the blocking volume, cause you have the builder brush in place and everything , so go ahaead and add a Blocking volume.Then make a sheet of the same size(heiget and width) with the galss texture of your choice, and add it in at the front edge of your cube.*Changing the Axis field builds it along the axises you wil use the most.

Then behind it do the same sheet but with whatever other texture your wanting to use.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sandorski
    He's already tried making the cylinder that way, but wants to be able to walk into it. Someone previously suggested a better way of making it, that is to make a Solid Cylinder, then Subracting out a smaller Cylinder inside of it. Unfortunetly that can't be made into a SMesh though.
    It can be made into StaticMesh, if you make bigger builder brush and Intersect it... But it's not a good idea to do so, and it should be done only if there is no other possible way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you can make a mesh that has once face clear and the other not clear. I think if you convert a mirror sheet to a static mesh it will only display one side.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok, thx, another question, how do i make a wall so that it'll work like a one-way window

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well try making the hollow part with and additon a subtraction rather than a hollow brush.

Say your doing 512 with 384 inner radius.

Just make a 512 Cylinder and add it in, then make a 384 cylinder and center it up, then subtract.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    and wut would i do if i didn't have maya?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by pcmods
    Well if you install Maya PLE you can create a cyclinder (tube as it's called), skin it, then export to UED. This shouldn't be difficult if you can use UED.

But if you want to use UED....

1) Create your cyclinder, set it to be Hollow
    2) Set the inner and outer radius
    3) Add the brush.
    4) texture it.
    5) Right click convert to static mesh.
    6) Apply texture to static mesh.
    7) Done.

If you want multiple textures, you'd be better off using Maya or Max.

Using Maya would certainly be a good idea. It would make it much easier to add Alpha to spots and would just make a better SMesh overall. Just note though that SMesh Faces only appear in 1 direction, so you'd need to either use a 2-Sided Texture(not hard) or make an Outside and Inside Cylinder(Reverse the Normals).

I'd think though that for simplicity sake a 2-Sided Texture with Alpha is the way to go for the beginner. With that said, you'll want to make some kind of Ends on the Cylinder, kind of like a Doorframe. The reason for that is to give the Cylinder the Illusion of thickness. Otherwise your Cylinder is going to appear paperthin from the ends. You should be able to do this with BSP if you need to, but a SMesh would likely look better.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well if you install Maya PLE you can create a cyclinder (tube as it's called), skin it, then export to UED. This shouldn't be difficult if you can use UED.

But if you want to use UED....

1) Create your cyclinder, set it to be Hollow
    2) Set the inner and outer radius
    3) Add the brush.
    4) texture it.
    5) Right click convert to static mesh.
    6) Apply texture to static mesh.
    7) Done.

If you want multiple textures, you'd be better off using Maya or Max.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i'm making a cyndrilical mesh out of a brush, but i need it to be hollow like a pipe, and i need to skin it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    just tell me what you are making and Ill explain what you need to do with your cylinder.
    Custom meshes work the same as the meshes that came with UT. Save your meshes in your myLevel and you can add your custom textures, from within myLevel hopefully, and it will work the same. If you are making meshes from scratch, you shouldnt have to reskin them, since the mesh will automatically have a skin of your choosing. Making meshes clear requires a little planning... a cube with one face clear will not be realistic since you will be able to see out of the sides that are not clear.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok, but what if it's custom and i want it to have just one mesh that happens to be partially transparent

also, how can i make it hollow with opennings at the 2 ends(still dealing with a cylinder here)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    place the mesh on your map, click its properties, and then go to display, then look at the item called "skins"
    Depending on the standard ut mesh you are reskinning, it may have 1,2,3 or more skins, you you will have to add the textures you want in the right slots. Each are preset and the order matters. One trick is to set slot 0 to a bright color, see if it changes what you want, if it does, change it to the texutre you want, if not, clear 0 and set slot 1 the same way. I have actually been doing that with pipes, doors, and lights the entire day today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X