hollow cylinder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hollow cylinder question

ok, i made a hollow cylinder with the idea of making it so you could go through the hole in the center, but i quickly realized that this wasn't possible.

how would i be able to make it so that players could go through the central core?

I assume there are ends to it. If it's BSP, Subtract out the ends with a Brush.

Comment

i tried that and the problem is, there's a wall between the rooms on the end and the core

Comment

whodoesthewhatnow?

Comment

wtf!?

Comment

elaborate more, from what i can tell sand already told ya the answer

Comment

when i did what sand said to, there was still a wall seperating the ends from the subtracted areas. how do i get rid of those walls?

Comment

Sounds like you didn't quite subtract out the whole wall, leaving a small sliver of it behind. Try redoing it with a slightly larger(thicker) Brush.

Comment

To make a hollow cylinder, you could just make a cylinder, with an add operation, then lower the radius, and then intersect>subtract a new cylinder.

Comment

When converting brushes to static meshes (a technique that gives bad results...), you cant use subtraction brushes, only addition brushes. For a cylinder, just use the hollow cylinder. You can make these with a *single brush* by right clicking the cylinder button, rather than adding a solid cylinder, and then subtracting from the inside. Most of the volume buttons let you right click them for more options. If you want it to look good though, and since you aren’t using maya/3dsmax, try browsing through the static meshes that came with UT. Any of them can be reskinned, and the lighting/smoothed corners are better than anything you will be able to make within UnrealEd.

Comment

no, i think u guys don't undertsand my delema

i made a hollow cylinder. when u make a hollow cylinder, the central core isn't subtracted it's empty space meaning u can't put anything in it and when u put things at the end of it, it's treated like empty therefore, a wall is put there.

my question is, how do i get the hollow central core to act like subtracted space when it isn't. i can't subtract it cause then it won't be there, it'll blend into the rest of the cylinder

also, how od i make water?

Comment

Make a hollow cylinder like I said, then add two non-hollow cylinders at both openings to block the hole. Either make the cylinders that block the ends the same radius as the inner radius of the hollow cylinder, or make them have the same radius as the outer radius and sandwich them togther. Of course, all 3 will have the same number of sides and the every vertex should be perfect (just snap them to the grid). Like I said though, you will have better results if you find a mesh thats already created and skin it with your texture. The shape you are making will have no way to enter it...

Water is made 3 ways and you use any combination you want depending on how you want the water to look.
                        1) A water surface (it ripples etc)
                        2) A static mesh (makes a good waterfall)
                        3) emitters (gives a real 3D mist effect but doesnt actually look like water)
                        You can find out how to create water or emitters using the wiki or by searching this forum. Examples of static mesh waterfalls can be found in the standard UT2k4 Maps.

Comment

well then would u happen to know what class i would find static meshes of hollow pipes, preferably no smaller than 128 diameter or much larger than that either?

Comment

i made a hollow cylinder. when u make a hollow cylinder, the central core isn't subtracted it's empty space meaning u can't put anything in it and when u put things at the end of it, it's treated like empty therefore, a wall is put there.

my question is, how do i get the hollow central core to act like subtracted space when it isn't. i can't subtract it cause then it won't be there, it'll blend into the rest of the cylinder
                            Sounds to me like you're creating a hollow cylinder brush, but are subtracting it out, almost like you were making it into a tube-shaped room, rather than adding it into your main worldspace as a solid item.

Subtract a big ole' cube or room or something, create your hollow tube brush inside it & add it in, rather than subbing it out.
                            Sounds silly but I've made dafter mistakes before..

Comment

could u point me to the pipe class before i try that?

Comment

Working...
                              X