Max to Unreal mapping coordinates problem. Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max to Unreal mapping coordinates problem. Help

I am having problem with texture mapping coordinates, when exporting model with max 7, to unrealED-ut2004

I text my mesh within max 7 with 6 different textures, then exported them out to unreal ED, the textures are all messed up id have 3 of the same texture on 3sides, when in max the textures are different. Or some times it just appears as one texture. I looked in the mesh properties to try and texture it myself but the texture still don’t work correctly.

I have followed all of the VTM training on 3d max to unreal but still i am having problems, any help would be grateful.

Max:
    Are you using a multi/sub-object material?
    Are you assigning the material sub-object ID's to the specific mesh faces?
    Are you collapsing the stack on the mesh(es)?
    Are you attaching all individual meshes to one EditableMesh object before exporting?

UnrealEd:
    Are you assigning the appropriate textures (if required) into the StaticMesh browser area for that mesh's Materials?

Comment

Slow down and thanks for you replay.

I am a super noob when it comes to max. All I do is use the Material editor and drag and drop the textures onto the geometry.

I even just made a box with each side with a different texture in max but unreal picks it up as 3 sides being the same texture.

All I did was lay a cube turn it to poly highlight one surface drop the texture from the material editor and repeat that process until the cube was textured. Then I exported it out to the desktop and imported it into unreal editor.

Could it be unreal?

Comment

Dont know if this is it, I know jack **** about Max, but I was getting into texturing in Maya this week, having a similar problem.

What it might be is textures need to be flipped somewhere along the line....maybe when you mimport to Unreal.....custommmm textures??

Comment

Originally posted by Richyb
          Slow down and thanks for you replay.

I am a super noob when it comes to max. All I do is use the Material editor and drag and drop the textures onto the geometry.

I even just made a box with each side with a different texture in max but unreal picks it up as 3 sides being the same texture.

All I did was lay a cube turn it to poly highlight one surface drop the texture from the material editor and repeat that process until the cube was textured. Then I exported it out to the desktop and imported it into unreal editor.

Could it be unreal?
          If you are dropping multiple Standard Materials from the Material Editor, then that is your problem.
          You must create a single Multi/Sub-Object Material and assign all of your desired textures to it as effectively sub-materials (Max lets you specify how many sub-materials you want). Then that single Multi/Sub-Object Material is assigned to your mesh(es).

You can find information on the Multi/Sub-Object material type in your Max owner's manual (oh, wait, you are using a legal copy aren't you? I know that I am, so it helps to have all of the books).

See the UDN or UnrealWiki doing a search for creating staticmeshes or check out Fordy's tutorial (some things can be done easier and quicker than what he explains here, but otherwise this is an ok tutorial).

Comment

It's also necessary to put actual textures into the slots, instead of using any native Max materials. Not sure if you are doing that, but I wanted to clarify that.

You might also want to make sure you have uv mapped the model correctly. If you are putting three textures on a box but you're only seeing one, it's because the uvs are overlapped. (default uvs for a box primitive have each face uv laid on top of the other face uvs).

Comment

Originally posted by ShredPrince2
              Dont know if this is it, I know jack **** about Max, but I was getting into texturing in Maya this week, having a similar problem.

What it might be is textures need to be flipped somewhere along the line....maybe when you mimport to Unreal.....custommmm textures??
              Well buy max and burn Maya. I used to use Maya and i had lighten issues all over my meshes in max i can hardly find one. Max owns.:up:

Comment

Thanks DGUnreal and Thinkingfeller I will try again to texture my mesh. Also thanks for Fordys Tuts they will help no end no doubt.

Oh and Bios I use imported Unreal textures to max and I do use the slots to. Any way I hope I can get it to work, thank you for the help.:up:

Comment

Working...
                X