Programs for creating models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programs for creating models?

I want to make a Vehicle to use on a map I want to create. To me its a model with a little bit of code.

I'm new around UT2004... but I used UED for a long time, mapping. Modelling is new to me.

Unless you want me to get a pirated copy of 3DS Max whatever version it is meant to be (my tutorial I found isn't clear on what version it is... I only just worked out it was 3DS) there seems to be no way I can make a dream.

Is there any alternate free programs to use to make Vehicles?

try out maya ple...it's free and can import/export stuff fine

Comment

I sense a trial. Pretty much useless if its a small trial.

EDIT: Oh well, I found the Personal use one...

Comment

Trial? No, it's the special version that comes with the game and even has it's own exporter plugin for unreal formats. Downloading v7 from their site is a better plan though as the key for the one that comes with the game no longer works, so I hear.

Comment

OK... the trouble is almost over... the problem is with Maya, how the hell do I make a Mesh node?

Comment

Mesh Node? That sounds like a 3dsMax term, what are you trying to do in English.

Comment

Error: MayaUnrealEd: Mesh node not found under |nurbsCylinder1

Either trying to figure that out with no hope, or one object "vehicles".

Comment

Convert the Nurbs cylinder to Polygon. Only Polygons can be used in UEd.

Comment

Try blender, it's great, it's free and it can import some stuff into unrealed.
                  www.blender3D.org
                  I've worked with 3D max in the past, got some stuff working in unreal, and some stuff not.
                  I make things with blender nowadays, can make better things in it than I could in max.
                  It can make static meshes and brushes but there is no actorX for it afaik. So I haven't gotten any player models in it yet.
                  For anything else, you can't loose with it. And the price is great.

Comment

Working well with Maya, but now the final problem I know stands - I cant make a Vehicle out of a Static Mesh (Wrong kind of file), and I don't know what a Character set is (To make it Skeletal)...

Comment

Originally posted by RedlineM203
                      Working well with Maya, but now the final problem I know stands - I cant make a Vehicle out of a Static Mesh (Wrong kind of file), and I don't know what a Character set is (To make it Skeletal)...
                      Before you make a Character Set, make a Skeletal system. After that you need to Skin the Mesh to the Bones of the Skeletal System. The Character Set needs to be associated with the Skeletal Systems Root Bone.

Comment

... I have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

Comment

I don't know maya, but i think he means this,
                          1. use bones to make a skeleton (use the same names and number of bones if you want to use default unreal anims),
                          2. skin the mesh to the skeleton you formed with the bones (make the bocymesh follow the skeleton)
                          3. dump it in a folder/function/group whatever the hell a "character set" is, that defines it within maya as a character? as in "link" the first bone in the hierarchy (humanwise: the pelvis) to the character set?

Comment

I dont know any of that either. Im gonna wait for the other guy.

Comment

Originally posted by FreakyDude
                              Try blender, it's great, it's free and it can import some stuff into unrealed.
                              www.blender3D.org
                              I've worked with 3D max in the past, got some stuff working in unreal, and some stuff not.
                              I make things with blender nowadays, can make better things in it than I could in max.
                              It can make static meshes and brushes but there is no actorX for it afaik. So I haven't gotten any player models in it yet.
                              For anything else, you can't loose with it. And the price is great.
                              how can you import blender made meshes into UED ?

Comment

Working...
                              X