Creating ONS-Urban-like road meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating ONS-Urban-like road meshes

I'm puting a turn in a road like ons-urban...the mesh is too small for my level so I need to make my own...I figured it was a box with a bunch of segments and bent with a modeling tool...upon importing into my level that is not the case...none of the ends line up on the grid making it impossible to line up with the rest of the road...upon further inspection it looks like they made the road by opening up the 2d shape editor...then revolving a 1024 cube with 12 sides and the revolving point 384 units away...this makes the two ends line up perfectly on the grid and makes the underneath subtraction brush (so the bsp lines up with the edges) easier to make...I created one...exported to max and fixed it up...but the lighting looks like **** because there's no vertical segments...here's a pic of my model:

is there any way to revolve a cube in max like you can in the 2d shape editor? or is there a way to slice the road in half?

never mind...just found the tube primitive works wonders

Comment

When making Meshes like this, it's a good idea to make all the parts in one Scene. That way you can fit them altogether before Export.

Comment

yeah I exported my level and made the mesh around the level...when I used the bend modifier I still had to do some vertex moving to make it fit...but with the tube it just snaps into place perfectly giving me that "holy **** it worked" feeling

Comment

Another thing you might want to do is UV map first- then apply the Bend modifier. that way when you put the pieces together in the map the textures will line up nicely.

Comment

see how the line markers line up? That's two static meshes

first I make the stright piece of road
            uv map it
            then cut the mesh a regular intervals
            then bend

Comment

Sweeet, I assume that's with 3DSMax?

Comment

One thing I never got about bending that I never got: how do you get it to line up on the grid? Cause that's the only reason I find myself constantly using the tube primitive, with less than fun UV mapping results.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryandar
                  One thing I never got about bending that I never got: how do you get it to line up on the grid? Cause that's the only reason I find myself constantly using the tube primitive, with less than fun UV mapping results.
                  yeah that's what I would like to know too...I guess I could just move the verticies around at the end but that would probably screw up the uv mapping

Comment

As well as screwing up your shape.

A true pain, I know.

Comment

*cough*

Comment

I usually start with a profile that gets extruded and place it on the grid above 0,0,0. I then add my circle with it's center at 0,0,0, and take the outside of the circle through the center of my profile. When I extrude to path I have extrude either 22.5, 45 or 90 degrees, usually 45 degrees. That keeps me on the grid on both ends.

Comment

Yes, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that has the same advantages as using the bend modifier. The great thing about "bending", is that you UV-map a cylinder, which is pretty **** easy, and then bend it to get a perfectly UV-mapped bent pipe. However, I've never managed to figure out how to get the bent end of the cylinder to align to grid.

Comment

It has been ages since I used max so forgive me if I'm wrong but if you do the uvw mapping before applying/adding the bend modifier, doesn't the uvw follow along just like as if you were using the bend modifier? the least you could do is try it.

Comment

Here is how I do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X