Using multiple materials on static mesh's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using multiple materials on static mesh's

I'm having trouble finding where you go about adding more than 1 material to a static mesh as shown here.

Can someone point out to me how you do this?

Heh i just did this for the first time like 5 minutes ago on a mesh from max.

I was importing a mesh from max 5, what i did was uvw unwrap it with 2 materials then i skinned it and imported them into max and applied them to the mesh. Then exported it as ase and imported it into ued. I dont think you really need to use your skins just as long as you have diffrent materials on it (now that i think about it a gun i made a while back had like 12 skin spots heh because of that).

If your making a mesh in ued i think you just use how many textures you want before you convert it into a mesh.

If its a premade mesh your trying to change i did that too, just convert the mesh into a bruch, add it then readd whatever textures to it and remake it into a mesh.

Or something like that hehe

Comment

In max's material browser, select an empty material slot and then below the material spheres there is a dialogue that by default reads 'standard'..click on this and a window opens, in this window select 'multi/subobject', on doing so a dialogue appears asking if you want to keep the old material (it doesnt matter what you select, frankly).

Having done this you will see 10 materials below, copy all the materials you want to use on your mesh into those slots (and set the number of materials you wish to use if you like, but when exporting your staticmesh it only sets it up for the materials on the mesh in ued, so its no biggie).

Now go back to your mesh, select 'editmesh' modifier and select all the polygons you want in your first material, then drag&drop that material onto them, repeat this process with all the materials you want to use and then export as .ASE, et voila: multiple materials quick and easy Once you've done this like twice it becomes second nature.

Comment

Interesting... So this is determined by the way the mesh is created?

Er to explain a little more, I just realized I could use materials from UnrealEd to apply to my mesh’s' I've created. Not that I mind skinning them myself, but textures are big, and it would be nice to avoid having people have to download massive texture packs, if I can get the look I want with the Unreal materials. But obviously, I'd need to apply base textures to different parts of my mesh to get more complicated skin look.

For example, here is a Brazier I created. I've already unwrapped its UVW's, and could skin it myself. But what I've done to try and simplify things is set the upper bowl part to ID 02, and the lower part to 01. Ideally, I'd like to use a brass or shiny metal material to decorate the upper bowl, and some kind of decorative metal material to do the lower stand. However I have only the one material I can assign to.

So again, I'm not sure if I was following you guys correctly. I'll try loading into Max and futzing with the material browser there, but I just didn't think that would have any affect on what you see here in UnrealEd.

**EDIT** Nope, I tried adding a material to the object with multiple difuses to the different ID's. Didn't change anything when I reimported it into the Static Mesh browser. :/

Comment

It is the settings on the imported object that make the difference. I use Lightwave, so I can't advise you specifically on Max, but I get one material for each surface on the Lightwave object.

However, this only works as long as UEd can find all the relevant textures when you import. As soon as it hits a material slot which it can't match to a texture, it stops assigning slots. So if your materials aren't set up with valid texture names, that would explain why you only ever get one slot.

Of course, you can change them to whatever you like once the object is imported correctly. So you can always just have a dummy texture pack with names like 'material1', 'material2' and so on (or better still, whatever Max uses as the defaults), just to get the import working.

Comment

Ued will still import a model with all texture slots, even if it can't find the specific textures, it just assigns the default bubble texture instead.

Ok, follow the pictures

You'll see I've got 2 material slots set up with textures. Now select whatever faces of your model you want to apply the first tex to:

Drag the tex from the material slot straight onto the selected faces. Do the same for the remaining faces with the second texture:

And give it a UVMap or UnwrapUV's, whatever you want to do:

Now export that as an .ase as usual and you'll have multiple materials assigned in Ued:

That's pretty much the easiest way to do it if you don't need to make an actual skin rather than simple tileable materials

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
              Ued will still import a model with all texture slots
              Not in my experience. But that may be a difference in the way it handles ASE vs LWO.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
                Ued will still import a model with all texture slots, even if it can't find the specific textures, it just assigns the default bubble texture instead.

Ok, follow the pictures

That's pretty much the easiest way to do it if you don't need to make an actual skin rather than simple tileable materials
                Sweet man! I don't know why, but dragging the material to the mesh in Max wasn't working. However when I used the "apply to selected" button from the material browser, it sucessfully applied the material to only the polies I had selected. Then It worked just fine in UnrealEd's SM Browser.

Thanks man!!

Comment

No problem

Doctor7: I haven't used Lightwave for modelling so yeah, I guess it's probably slightly different to the .ase format I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor7
                    However, this only works as long as UEd can find all the relevant textures when you import. As soon as it hits a material slot which it can't match to a texture, it stops assigning slots. So if your materials aren't set up with valid texture names, that would explain why you only ever get one slot.
                    Nope, if they are set up correctly the slots will always be there in UED regardless of the names of the skins.
                    And I mean Max, LW or Maya.

Originally posted by AkumuX
                    Sweet man! I don't know why, but dragging the material to the mesh in Max wasn't working. However when I used the "apply to selected" button from the material browser, it sucessfully applied the material to only the polies I had selected. Then It worked just fine in UnrealEd's SM Browser.

I dont know why drag drop wouldnt work, but you can just select the polys you want then double click the material, no need to drag them at all.

Comment

somethign to remember. ifyoure like me, and youre just throwing a texture on there with a box align or something from max, you usually wont even bother importing the material into max and setting it up. just assign the material id, and pretend its there. well, theres a problem with that. when you export, it will only export those material ids that actually HAVE a material in them. and that material has to be a bitmap of some sort, be it a jpg picture, or a dds texture, or whatever. the prodcedural materials wont export.

Comment

Yep, there must be a texture of some sort in the material slot.

Comment

I used some nice bikini girl pics for the temp texture. :haha:

I was going to create my own texture, but then I figured if I can use the ones that come with UT and they look good enough, why make anyone have to download a huge texture map I created when it might not add "THAT" much to the overall look I'm going for.

Comment

DarkSaber:

Your method is almost exactly like how I used to do things in Max, but now it no longer works that way, and I'm wondering why. Here's a thread with the details:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...95#post4472695

Any ideas man?
                            - Deathbliss

Comment

Working...
                            X