Skating Character in game. How to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skating Character in game. How to fix?

I have a newly modelled character, I used MercMaleA rig, it has a 30 frame walk-loop anim, all in the Ued(itor) and textured.

After placing him into the map he skates (his feet slide as he walks) so he's moving too fast for the animated walk cycle. He should be strolling along, not zipping along.

How do you control the speed, he's going twice as fast as his feet.

[Gawd, creating a new UT2k3 character, animation and getting it in a game is just one hurtle after another. I see now why there arn't just zillions of people doing this - ha]

I'm sorry to say it, but you'll have to rig it again and use the other mercmale rig (Torch/Wraith). There's some problem with the other one that causes the effect you've got there, I've had it myself as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
      I'm sorry to say it, but you'll have to rig it again and use the other mercmale rig (Torch/Wraith). There's some problem with the other one that causes the effect you've got there, I've had it myself as well.

I tried this and the MercMaleB definately links differently than the MercMaleA rig. However it did not appreciatively change the skating effect. (His body is moving forward faster than his walk and gate should be moving him.)

I have tried changing the Rate settings under the sequence tab in the Animation browser and that seems to be the immediate fix. His animated steps move faster, therefore appearing to keep up with his forward movement. But he is still moving faster than I want him to move. I need him to be slowly strolling along, not trucking to some point at full gate.

Question: Is the character forward travel speed hard coded in the UC script code somewhere?

:bulb:

Comment

Depends what you mean by forward speed: If you mean the actual running speed of a character in-game, then yes it's a set number in the xPawn class (it's around 440 or so), and you'd have to either create a mutator or a subclass of xPawn to change that. A mutator is easy enough to do, you'd simply use the ModifyPlayer function to give it different speed values. Subclassing xPawn on the other hand would basically require you to either create a custom gametype that uses your new pawn class, or a total conversion/ Mod that uses custom pawns anyway.

On the other hand, if you mean the rate the animations play in-game, then no I don't think those are hardcoded as such, but I could be wrong. I once changed the mercmale running animations for the mercfemale ones to see if it looked better, and I had the problem of the character running waaaaay too slow - he was moving at the correct speed, but the animations were about 50% slower than they should've been. I tried changing the rate in Ued, from 15 (which it imported as) to 30, and it looked right. But it didn't keep the new rate in-game for some reason.

Ued throws up some weird errors and problems doesn't it?

Comment

Whoa, DarkSaber dude!!!

The xPawn was it I modified an extension to the groundspeed and presto NO skating. woohoo!

Many thanks!

Comment

Glad I could help

Comment

Working...
            X