Need help with collison please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with collison please.

I am using a stock mesh ( again) its the one from the Arborea Hardware package and it has no collision model. I am using the K-Dop tool to fit a collsion model, and for once its has shaped to the mesh rather well using the k-Dop option. Now, its properties are set to "user simple karma collision" to true but it dont block a dead player. I am reading the UDN tut very carefully and cant figure where I am going wrong. Is the the best way to use cthe K-Dop tool, or is there another way? I do not want to use blokcing volumes as they are very slow to render but if I continue to fail with this thing its all I got left. Please can anyone help?

Blocking volumes slow to render? I don't think so. Blocking volumes are used extensively for mesh collision because it yields a slight performance increase not having to perform complex collision on a per triangle basis.

Comment

Thanks for the reply DarkSabre. I understand that blokcing volumes are basically invisble BSP and are created as such. They are not part of the way meshes get rendered and therefore slower to render. Yes they work but they are more expensive to use than a mesh with its own collision model. If I amk wrong then please guys tell me. I dont think I am though I did the whole level with blokcing volumes and did the whole level in K-Dop collision and the ones with the K-Dop was much faster.
      THe tool is there to use and I am using it but it doesnt seem to want to work properly. Like I say I got a collsion hull shaped around the mesh pretty accurate but it is doing no good at all if it isnt blocking karma.

Comment

That's all a KDOP does, block karma. Blocking volumes block players and karma, so you can remove collision from the mesh totally and let the volume handle it, therefore giving better performance. When I use KDOP's though, I don't change any properties at all, they work as they are, by default. So try removing the current kdop and add it again, then try it at the default values

edit: incidentally, which mesh is it you're trying to use? I'd like to experiment with it myself

Comment

Thats just it though , the K-Dop does not block my Karma, and I left it alon as I changed none of the properties when I added it. Another thing that concerns me is that if I add the KDOP that I need to save it, now that means as its a standard mesh I need to save the package, though that will alter the default mesh to my spec for all maps it is used in and I dont want to do that. All I want to do is add the collison volume to block Karma and have it apply in my level only.
          THe mesh I am using is this one:
          StaticMesh'ArboreaHardware.WallPanels.Wall2Straigh tUpper01AR'

Please help me if you can, I dont want to use blocking vols unless absoloutely necessary

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
            That's all a KDOP does, block karma.
            Negative. If you set UseSimpleBoxCollision to true in the mesh browser, the K-DOP's are used for player collision as well.
            Originally posted by Wolv34ine
            Another thing that concerns me is that if I add the KDOP that I need to save it, now that means as its a standard mesh I need to save the package.
            Mesh Browser >> Edit >> Rename >> mylevel package, then mess with the properties. Just don't save AlleriaHardware when you close the level and you're good to go.

Comment

Take note everyone!! There is an easy fix.

Convert the static mesh into MyLevel and then turn that (Use Simple Karma Collision) to False.
              No more RagDolls falling through the mesh.

Comment

^but thats a BAD thing if you have a complex mesh

some meshes... like terrain or rocks can be difficult to make a simplified collision mesh for.

but most things should have a simplified collision for both karma and for player collision

Comment

willhaven:
                  No!!!! That is not a bad thing as most of the meshes that came with the game already have complex karma collision info. Some of them need the Karma Collision fixed like the way I said.
                  How many deadbodies are going to be checked on the one mesh at any one given time anyway? Just remember that Karma Collsion is only for dead bodies.

Comment

no. the problem was that some meshes didnt have karma colliding meshes set to simple box collision also.

so you'd get stuck on a small bolt or some other insignificant piece of geometry. and when you died, you were inside the karma collision, which caused problems

2K3 had some problem meshes. but simplified karma AND box collision is the best way to go.

Comment

Whoa, just checked out all the usefull responses, very good of you all to take the time to hlep out. Many thanks indeed.
                      One thing bothers me though, to do with the renaming of the package. SInce I havent used all of the meshes in the package, i dont want to needlessly add to the size od the dl by having a lot of unused stuff in the myLevel package. SO if I rename the Arborea hardware package I assume that it will swell the size of the map ( with usnused stuf) anfd I will have to re-place all of the meshes used with the my level ones? Or can I just click use in the display properties of the mesh to the myLevel mesh. I did this once but nothing happened, cept for all the meshes concerned disappearing:bulb:

Comment

I was worrying unnecessarily guys. I only saves the one mesh to the myLevel package. Aslo the collison works a treat. Its a reasonably low poly mesh (10 in all ) so I dont think over the top collsion calculations will be a big prob. Thanks to all.

Heres to saving my FPS:up:

BTW I am right in aying that blocking volumes ( while usefull) are slow to render yes?

Comment

Yeah, you can just rename one mesh over to the mylevel package, and also remember that anything in MyLevel that isn't used gets tossed out when you save the level.
                          Originally posted by Wolv34ine
                          BTW I am right in aying that blocking volumes ( while usefull) are slow to render yes?
                          Blocking volumes are invisible. If you mean "render" as in "calculate collision for", you think it would be easier for the engine to calculate a 6 sided cube or a 200 poly mesh?

Comment

I suppose so yes, but not 200 polies, just a few, like the one above. And yes I meant for it to calculate, not render

Comment

Working...
                            X