Lessons learned from Phase Shift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lessons learned from Phase Shift.

Well, thought I'd pass on the lessons I learned in the process of making Phase Shift, so that other mappers don't fall into the same problems.

1) Bots suck. Apparently they don't like it if the map is divided into two completely isolated sections and those sections are too far apart. The original version of the map has the bases offset 60,000 UU apart, and you can see what happened with that. Huddling them closer together (20,000 UU) is what ended up fixing the bots. If you are building a map with two completely isolated bases (only accessible by teleporters etc), keep them close together.

2) Multiple skies. I will update the tutorial soon, but I'll post it here first. If you make the MultiSkyZoneInfo a subclass of ZoneInfo instead of SkyZoneInfo, you can use separate sunlights in the different areas. Just put them in the actual level part, not the skyboxes. Putting the skyboxes at opposite ends of the level, with both of the level parts between them, you will avoid the problem I note in the tutorial where it will flicker between the two if you look at certain angles.

3) Open collision. The engine doesn't like it. For some of the meshes I made, I originally imported a lower poly version, did a Convert To Brush, then Use Brush As Collision. Since some of these weren't completely solid, the game froze when trying to load the map. Collision for meshes must be a solid structure. The way I worked around it, I turned off all the collision for the visible higher poly mesh, then just left the collision mesh as an actual mesh in the level and set bHidden=True and bShadowCast=False.

I learned #1 the hard way.

On my WarpedX map, I had the map divided in two but while
    doing that I had warps positioned so It would give the Illusion
    of walking up the walls and on the ceiling.

The Bots kinda just stood in the same room...
    But super bots if you dont even have the nodes configured
    they will do, almost fine in a map.

Comment

open collision is an EVIL EVIL thing.

we had some problems with line traces from weapons and realized it was because of a mesh that had open collision.

its also a good idea to seperate your convex shapes and leave tiny gaps between them for collision.

when you make a shape, think about how to get the collision you want with as few boxes/cylinders as possible and then make them from brushes that are seperated by 1 unit. then the engine should cut the brushes up very little and give you an extremely simple collision.

i took a turret base that had an open/semi-simple collision made in MAX... it ended up being 32 primitives. 32!

in about 20 minutes i vertex edited brushes and simplified it to be 7 collision primitives. :up:

MUCH faster.

its also a good idea to use these simplified collisions for physical collision as well as karma.

and i know you know most of this AM... just posting it for others who dont know as much

being onsite has its benefits. i've learned more in 4 months of being here than i knew about this tech in over a year of working with it on my own.

Comment

Yeah, I'm learning a lot about the engine from trying to make a PS2 game with it here. :haha: Like, never knew what a lightmap looked like. Having programmers that are nice enough to help you get stuff working online is always good too.

Comment

Working...
        X