Max terrain size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max terrain size?

Alright, did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for...

Let's say I'm gonna make a 4x4km map (a town), and it needs to have one meter details on it, what's a good size for it (128x128 too small?)?

Unless this town has very low poly detail buildings, or lots of very steep hills between each city block with Antiportals in them, you'll never pull this off without killing the framerate on most systems.

4km sq is about 2.4sq miles or about 229,376 (224k) UUs. 16UUs = 1UE foot. 1 meter = 52.5 UUs. We'll use 64 UUs as your desired goal here for simplicity. See Wiki UE Measurements

Feel free to double-check my values here:
    A 128x128 terrain within a 256k UU sub gives you quads that are about 2048 UUs (UE feet) I believe.
    A 256x256 terrain within a 256k UU sub should have quads at about 1024 UUs (UE feet) I believe.
    A 512x512 terrain within a 256k UU sub should have quads at about 512 UUs (UE feet) I believe.

So to get a ~1 meter (64 UU) terrain quad on a 4km sq map will require a terrain heightmap at 4096x4096 which is not possible (33.5 million triangles).

You don't want to go above 512x512 for a terrain, and preferably you don't even want to go above 256x256 for most map designs.
    The number of terrain polys within the frustum is going to be very high, and eat up a good 50% of the possible renderable polys on the video system.

Tribes:Vengeance used a lot of 512x512 terrain maps, and the framerate takes a bit of a hit. They did use 2048x2048 Terrain Macros also to improve detail which added a rendering penalty.

Comment

so....is 512 an ok size?

i just find 256 so...SMALL

but now i know of making the squares bigger
      so..... yea >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge-David
        so....is 512 an ok size?

i just find 256 so...SMALL

but now i know of making the squares bigger
        so..... yea >.>
        A 512x512 Heightmap is a nice size for a large map, but you have to be sure to design the map in accordance with the size of your terrain (lots of large steep hills for antiportals) since a 512x512 terrain is 524000 triangles. So if you attempt to put even 1/4 of those polys into the frustum you've eaten up all of your rendering speed just on the terrain -- no more power for any CSG or Smeshes.

The other concern with 512x512 heightmaps is that the amount of collision data is so large, that steep hills become collision holes and your player will constantly fall through the terrain in those areas.

If you wish to see a bunch of maps with working 512x512 heightmap data, go pick up a copy of Tribes:Vengeance and look at their maps.

-EDIT-
        Just a final note on this...

Most UT2004 medium to large map designs only require a 128x128 (think of ONS maps like Dria etc.) or at max a 256x256 Heightmap. People with lower end video will take a hit if maps have heightmaps at 256x256 or 512x512.

The smaller you can get away with, the faster your map will play.
        I generally go by the rule-of-thumb that subs of up to 65536 can usually get by with 64x64 heightmaps. Subs of 65536-to-262144 can usually get by with 128x128. Only under special design circumstances will you require the next size larger (and there are some special circumstances that require this), or even 512x512. And use them carefully.
        Just like other UT actors such as FluidInfos, TerrainInfos allow you to scale the XY to fill up the main sub -- use it.

Comment

OKay, I'll try 512x512. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X