chaning map scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chaning map scale

this is my first post, so go easy on me, erm how do i change the scale in the editor, so that its in meters, you see i have a plan dranw up, and i made it in meters, so how do i make it come up in meters.

Not possible I think.

What you need is to rescale your drawing or whatever into Unreal units....

The avereage character is about 96 tall and uh 48 wide.

Thats the best was that I know of to scale a map.

I'd like to know of a better one if it's out there.

Comment

yea iv been a bad boy and havnt done anything on the 8unit scale thing :P

why couldnt they just use 10 and not 8?

where dues the 8 come from O.o

Comment

powers of 2 as grid lines are quite common in map editors. i'm sure it has something to do with the coding of the game itself (the render logarithm) and how it renders scenes.

Comment

It's binary... power of two stuff.
          2,4,8,16,32,64, etc.
          If you program in Assembler for many years like me, it becomes second-nature.

1 meter is 52.5UUs (Unreal Units), but due to the UE rendering system, maps should be made at 1.5x to 2x real-world scale.
          The closest UUs to 1 meter would be 64. But I would recommend bumping that up to probably 96 to have it look proper in first-person.

Comment

god you ppl make me feel young :/

and the 2 makes sence

so is 512 a ok terrain size?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge-David
              god you ppl make me feel young :/
              I'm 43...
              I'm sure that I am considerably older than most people in these forums. I've been a professional programmer since '81.

Originally posted by Sarge-David
              so is 512 a ok terrain size?
              I would only use a 512x512 if the map main-sub size was 256k (262144) or larger (larger than maps like Dria), or if it was a special requirement of the map design.
              Otherwise 256x256 is the largest that I usually go with.

Terrain does render very fast, much quicker than CSG, and usually as quick as SMesh.
              If you use lots of texture layers you will take a speed hit for the blending, or if you use lots of deco layers especially plants that use alpha instead of mask, you'll take an even bigger speed hit.

If you go with a larger terrain (or smaller terrain) and find that you either need to decrease or increase the heightmap size, with care and special software you can export and re-import and rebuild the terrain without losing anything.

Comment

Working...
              X