Vertex editor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertex editor question

Been ages since I made anything in this editor, but now I'm back, and have a simple question. How do you snap selected vertexes to the vertexes of another brush (for perfect fits.) For instance, I want to attach an angular brush to a brush that forms a right angle. Angular brushes don't like to snap directly to the grid, so I need to do this to force it to.

Also, while I'm at it, is there any possible way to add "glow" to an environment? Not like fog per-say... the best way to describe it is the ambient glowing in Halo's buildings and like in World of Warcraft in Darnassus city.

Don't know about the brushes... they should always snap, and if they don't, then there would be errors if they did.

For the glow, do you mean this?

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/HDRGlow.jpg

Not yet. I tried doing some stuff similar, looked alright, but it was pretty limited.

Comment

Yeah kinda like that. It's a really cool effect, wish there was a way to do it.

And I know there's gotta be a way to snap vertexes of one object to another because I recently did it by accident... but I can't recreate it =( You'd think it'd at least crash the editor, but it won't even try to do it again.

What I'm saying is, suppose you have a perfectly normal beam that forms a 45 degree angle with the horizon. Alot of beams would look like this. But since its angled, the vertices on the ends will probably not be on the grid, because of the formation of it. Just take a cube and rotate it a bit and see what I mean. I basically want to attach the vertices on the end actually on the grid.

Comment

if the brush that you want to snap to is on the grid, you can select vertices on the other brush (that is maybe off the grid) and right click. this will cause the selected vertices to snap to the grid and then you can pull them to any other brush that is on the grid.

if you wanted to make a singular object glow bright like that, you could set the mesh to special lit and then just make the lights the shine on it very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Chaos
          Yeah kinda like that. It's a really cool effect, wish there was a way to do it.

And I know there's gotta be a way to snap vertexes of one object to another because I recently did it by accident... but I can't recreate it =( You'd think it'd at least crash the editor, but it won't even try to do it again.

What I'm saying is, suppose you have a perfectly normal beam that forms a 45 degree angle with the horizon. Alot of beams would look like this. But since its angled, the vertices on the ends will probably not be on the grid, because of the formation of it. Just take a cube and rotate it a bit and see what I mean. I basically want to attach the vertices on the end actually on the grid.

What exactly do you meen? (sorry im a bit slow but i like to try and help) do you mean you have a beam with a cross- section in the shape of a right/ angled triangle? and what exactly are you trying to do with it? tell me what you have done to it so that the corners don't gridsnap. Thanx and sorry if it turns out that i really have no idea about what im talking about but its worth a try.:noob:

Comment

you could try using coronas or emitters to create the glow effect, wont be as pretty as proper HDR though :P

and yeah just select one or more vertices and right click them to make them snap to the grid.

Comment

I think if you have a beam that you want at 45 degrees to the horizon, that you shouldn't rotate it, because that *might* make the corners not allign; isntead try selecting one entire side of the brush in vertex mode and then raising it up. Count the slope so that it's one-to-one, or whatever slope you want.

/edit that's not what you asked tho, sorry lol

Comment

Thanks guys, I got it now, right clicking didn't seem to work but I simply recreated the brush and it worked fine then. Apparently I corrupted the brush... or something.

I also learned after all this time how useful the vertex editor tool is. Sad, I've mapped so long and never appreciated it. But now I know its power when understood.

Comment

Working...
                X