Mod viability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod viability

Sorry if this is a bunch of newbie questions. I just need some feedback on how modable UT 2k4 is.

1. Does the game support bump mapping or normal mapping?

2. Does the game support multi texturing?

3. Can you do animating textures? e.g. tank tracks?

4. How tweekable are weapon/vehicle physics?

5. Whats the most anoying thing/ best thing about modding for UT?

Cheers to anyone who can provide any useful feedback.

1) No.
    2) Uh....?
    3) You have at least played the game, right?
    4) Anything you want you can do.
    5) a) White Viewport questions. b) It's easy.

Comment

Yeah, multi texturing as in using more than one texture on a mesh. Like I said, newbie question.

I have played it, but not for a fair while. I've been looking at a few games with fairly mature mod tools. I just wanted to grab a few opinions before I go out and shell out a bunch of cash on several games that may end up not being what I need.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do, but honestly, having tried out other editors I haven't found better mod tools than the Unreal engine ones.

Comment

Re: Mod viability

1. Does the game support bump mapping or normal mapping?
          Out of the box no, but people have written hardware shading implimentations for UE2/2.5, so it is possible.

2. Does the game support multi texturing?
          Through combiners and alpha blending

3. Can you do animating textures? e.g. tank tracks?
          Yep

4. How tweekable are weapon/vehicle physics?
          Uhh yes.

5. Whats the most anoying thing/ best thing about modding for UT?
          Not too many bad or annoying things i can think of. On the good side, compared to some of the recently released "SDKs" (BF2 and FEAR come immediately to mind), Epic still is king in the tools market by an extremely wide margin. Also, the tools have been around for ever, so regardless of what you want to do you can probably find someone who's done it or knows how its done.

Comment

Re: Re: Mod viability

Originally posted by djtomservo
            Through combiners and alpha blending
            Not even. We all know without a doubt that static meshes are able to use more than a single texture. Player models can too; all of them use at least two different textures, I think Xan uses three.

As for bumpmapping, somebody created a sort of workaround to get the same effect, but if I recall corerectly, it's not actual true bumpmapping. Although, if you have the game's source code you could certainly implement it yourself, but we as users don't get that kind of access.

Comment

by multitexturing i thought he meant layering textures.

Comment

Yeah, sorry. I meant using multiple textures on one model, not texture layering, tho that does answer a different quiery. I've gone ahead and started learning the tools now. I figure given the tools seem to progress from one version to the next then UTx will be less of a bind to swap too.
                The mod tools from BF42 to BF2 are almost completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyphonic

The mod tools from BF42 to BF2 are almost completely different.
                  If you're looking to just mod stuff in general, i would definitely say stay with the Epic toolset. BF2 and the recently released FEAR "SDK" just aren't on par. Learn what you can now, because alot of the skills and concepts you do with the current gen will transfer to UE3, not perfectly, but it will give you a good enough grasp that you can hit the ground running.

Comment

Originally posted by djtomservo
                    by multitexturing i thought he meant layering textures.
                    somewhat...you can do it though combiners but if you're looking for something like what the serious sam editor has it doesn't offer that ease of use...you could probably get the same effect but it might take a little longer to get it...

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS
                      somewhat...you can do it though combiners but if you're looking for something like what the serious sam editor has it doesn't offer that ease of use...you could probably get the same effect but it might take a little longer to get it...
                      I've never really found combiners to be that difficult to work with, it's really just a matter of learning the options and making good maps and masks.

Comment

Working...
                      X