Layering textures in UEd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layering textures in UEd

Can someone tell me how to create a texture in UEd that will let me put the clear texture with my clan's log I made on top of the stock manta's skin without the team color overlay tinting it green or brown?

um.....edit the manta's origional skin to have your clan logo already on it?

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeFabian
      um.....edit the manta's origional skin to have your clan logo already on it?
      I tried that already. When the team colors are applied the logo is tinted green or brown.

Comment

That's because there is only one main texture skin (neutral), then that is colored using a shadered texture for the teams. You can see this when you look at the skin package.

You would have to create individual neutral and team colored versions with your logo and subclass the vehicle code to use your skins instead.
        Or create your logo with colors that are not changed with the colored texture method (subtract? -- I would have to look at the package again).

Comment

Re: Layering textures in UEd

Originally posted by q03
          Can someone tell me how to create a texture in UEd that will let me put the clear texture with my clan's log I made on top of the stock manta's skin without the team color overlay tinting it green or brown?
          Shader.Specular

Use a TexScaler on the logo to give it the right size and position, then make a Shader which uses it as the Specular. (Duplicate HoverBikeChassisFinalRED and HoverBikeChassisFinalBLUE, and change the Specular.)

This way it is possible to put the logo on different vehicle skins with only one new texture (the logo itself) and a bunch of Shaders and other texture modifiers.

If the logo is already the right size and position, don't bother with the TexScaler. I did it with a normal team symbol, so it wasn't the right size or position.

Here's an example (using a white team symbol on a Raptor.) I defined these in code, which is probably not much use to you, but it shows which properties need to be changed. (This example is for the Raptor.)
          Code:
          // rotate the symbol so it looks right on the Raptor
          Begin Object class=TexRotator name=TeamSymbol_cw90
              Rotation=(Yaw=-16384)
              Material=Texture'TeamSymbols_UT2004.Team.newbloodfist'
              UOffset=128    // half the size of the logo (256/2 = 128)
              VOffset=128
          End Object
          // change the scale and offset to make it look right
          Begin Object class=TexScaler name=Raptor_TeamSymbol
              UScale=0.15
              VScale=0.15
              UOffset=-570
              VOffset=-320
              Material=TeamSymbol_cw90
          End Object
          // Black Raptor with white team symbol
          Begin Object class=Shader name=Raptor_Black
              Diffuse=Texture'VMVehicles-TX.AttackCraftGroup.AttackCraftNoColor'
              Specular=Raptor_TeamSymbol
              FallbackMaterial=Texture'VMVehicles-TX.AttackCraftGroup.AttackCraftNoColor'
          End Object

In this example I created a Shader from scratch, but you could just duplicate the existing Manta skin Shaders and use those. All you should need to change is the Specular.

The complete thing (Black Raptor) has a Combiner and FadeColor to make the symbol red/blue and fade in and out. I haven't done one for the Manta yet. I also have the mutator update the team symbol textures used. i.e.:
          Code:
          TexRotator'TeamSymbol_cw90_0'.Material = TeamSymbols[Teamnum];
          (Must have one copy of the material for each team, as this change affects all instances of this texture.) I'm guessing you won't need anything like this, though.

Comment

Working...
          X