Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Anyone need a custom static mesh or two made?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, it is of course up to BigJim to decide, but although 1700-something polys isn't a problem in itself, these things have to be placed quite a few times.

I don't know if you've UV mapped yet, but if not, you may want to consider trimming down the polys a bit, starting at the fins you mentioned.
    Also, perhaps make it a bit slimmer. This would require a lot of work, but by making the rocket thinner, you could use less polys for your basic cylinder shape, which lower poly count considerably, without getting rid of detail.

Comment

Originally posted by SolaceEternal
      Lol ^^

The only other thing I'd ask you to put in the readme is that there are a few textures from HourIndusX_2004 and that new G-pack texture pack. :3

///

As for text on the side of it, I was also refering to perhaps putting the name of whatever you wanted the base to be called on the side.

///

Third... does it really look that good? O.o Crap, I've only been doing this for about a week now... this is essentially the third model I've ever made. ^^;
      Ah, hourences textures? I've been looking for an excuse to use that pack myself, no worries.

I get what you mean about the name down the side, I was just trying to say it's as much up to you as the base texture is, since I was planning on two or three missile variations, each with a different tex, I'd rather let you come up with the texture you want to do, rather than to try & dictate what I think would work based off a screenshot.

Also, I'm just as likley to prefer your ideas over my own, I'd never pass up the chance to get an outside opinion or take on it.

BTW, it's certainly good looking from here, I'm surprised it's only your 3rd model (the previous two I'm sure being your intial experiments into Maya), I certainly wouldn't have the confidence to produce a mesh for someone at that stage, hats off to ya'.

I honestly can't tell you about the ideal polycount, ooh, hang on.. *opens up UED & checks stock meshes..*

Well, the Bulldog mesh is 2352 polys, the Anubis statues are 2100, 2400 and 800 polys (roughly), so although I doubt the missiles will be a major system-killer, the large number of triangles may well cause you problems (well, annoyances shall we say) during UV mapping.
      The more triangles, the more you need to fiddle about with laying them down.

Personally I'd say let you decide. You've got the working copy, so if you personally think it would look as good with a reduced polycount, then by all means reduce it as much as you see fit.

I'm led to believe (that is, I've never done it myself), that balancing up the appearance vs performance of your mesh is all part of the learning process, but then again what do I know, I'm just being cheeky now.

Thanks again, ps; I've just built my new computer, so now I should be able to work in UED for more than an hour at a time without it dying on me, yay!

Comment

I think the texture should be like the Nexus missiles from UT2004 :3 I like those colors, but like just that olive drab and make your own spray-painted text and **** making HUGE white letters on the side might make it look like a show-rocket though :P maybe a radioactive sign?

Comment

Yeah, UV mapping it took most of yesterday and this morning. (Literally. >.>)

As of right now I'm screwing with the textures... and I'm havin' a bit of a problem with them. Not so much applying textures, but picking the RIGHT textures, lol. You'll probably get the "finished" version sometime today, weither it be in an hour or sometime tonight.

And I wasn't counting the maya tutorials when I said I had made three models; the first was a model of the Inflator from Turok: Rage Wars, and the seccond was my variation on it. :3

Meh.... I could not for the life of me do a decent texturing job on it. >.< At least I got it uv mapped, though. ^^;

Comment

Actually i went through the engine and there were a couple times I saw models with over 3000 triangles. So your model may actually be pretty decent with what your trying to do. Doesn't work for my model unfortunatly....

The only weapon that comes close to 1000 triangles is the reedemer
            everything else is under 500

Comment

...Tadaa?

Yeah, so... after going through numorous different textures, I essentially just put some on there that didn't make it look like complete and total crapshaith. With BigJim going to be customizing the textures for it anyway, hopefully it won't matter. ^^;

..come to think of it, how do you want me to send this to you?

Comment

Blaah. Please make the missile more GREEN

Comment

hey, can you make me a custom mesh, a rectangular glass or Hologram control panel that is about 512 long and 256 thick? i can't use maya or 3ds max and I'll draw you a concept if you will work with me :x my map needs more custom staticmeshes, btw. wanna help?

Comment

Originally posted by Doomfest
                    hey, can you make me a custom mesh, a rectangular glass or Hologram control panel that is about 512 long and 256 thick? i can't use maya or 3ds max and I'll draw you a concept if you will work with me :x my map needs more custom staticmeshes, btw. wanna help?
                    absolutely. :3

Comment

...Tadaa?

Yeah, so... after going through numorous different textures, I essentially just put some on there that didn't make it look like complete and total crapshaith. With BigJim going to be customizing the textures for it anyway, hopefully it won't matter. ^^;

..come to think of it, how do you want me to send this to you?
                      You've just knocked that up? That's fantastic, even more so when you realise you were working from the vaguest of breifs, have not seen the level where it sits, & pulled it together in less than 2 days. Nice one.

@Doomfest: Don't worry matie, if you reads Eternal's post he says that he was running into fun with the texturing, so I'm going to be using some other tex's too.
                      Ps: I'm already using the Nexus missile meshes from Convoy somewhere else in the map, so I might see if I can tie them in together, or whatever.

@Eternal: Seriously, cheers a bunch for that, it's a lovely model, & I'll be proud to use it in my level.
                      Well, depending on size you could email it to me (TheBigJimmage at Gmail Dot Com), or even host it somewhere temporarily if the file is a bit large for emailing.

BTW, if you'd like I'd be happy to host the mesh file permanently on my Filefront page (where I keep my beta versions, & my downloadable maps) so that if you ever wanted to point someone towards the mesh for thier own use, it's there.

Ps: Just a quickie question, what does :3 mean? Is it a Zoidberg smiley?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim
                        You've just knocked that up? That's fantastic, even more so when you realise you were working from the vaguest of breifs, have not seen the level where it sits, & pulled it together in less than 2 days. Nice one.

Seriously, cheers a bunch for that, it's a lovely model, & I'll be proud to use it in my level.
                        Well, depending on size you could email it to me (TheBigJimmage at Gmail Dot Com), or even host it somewhere temporarily if the file is a bit large for emailing.

BTW, if you'd like I'd be happy to host the mesh file permanently on my Filefront page (where I keep my beta versions, & my downloadable maps) so that if you ever wanted to point someone towards the mesh for thier own use, it's there.

Ps: Just a quickie question, what does :3 mean? Is it a Zoidberg smiley?

Glad I could help. :3 If you find UV problems or anything, just tell me, an' I'll try to fix it. Included in the file I'll be sending is a pic of the UV map layout, to help with the texturing and all.

LMFAO... no, ":3" is not a zoidberg smiley; it's more of an anime-esque cat-like grin thingy I'm so used to using, but having a hard time explaining, lol. (And of course I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing because it WOULD work as a Zoidberg smiley... that's friggin' ingenious XD)

Comment

Ah, just checked my email, thanks Slash! *guitar solo*

I don't mean to go on but thank you one last time for that - I'm really impressed, both at the fact it's such a nice gesture to offer yer' services, but also as to how nice the model came out.

I'm definately going to use it for the map, & you can bet your bum I'm going to use it for plenty of stuff after that too. You'll also get my undying praise in the readme of course.

Ps: I'm hardly leet-skillz0r or anything, but if you need any texing done in photoshop, or say, a demo map (to show off some element you've designed) knocking up, then just let me know & I'd be happy to help.
                          Cheers & have fun!

Ps: I'll drop you a pm when the first beta comes out if you'd like.

PsII: Ah, a kitty, damn it's obvious now you mention it. Zoidberg? What was I thinking? Gah, in my defence it was something crazy like 7am, approached from the wrong direction.. :haha:

Comment

Ah, just checked my email, thanks Slash! *guitar solo*

I don't mean to go on but thank you one last time for that - I'm really impressed, both at the fact it's such a nice gesture to offer yer' services, but also as to how nice the model came out.

I'm definately going to use it for the map, & you can bet your bum I'm going to use it for plenty of stuff after that too. You'll also get my undying praise in the readme of course.

Ps: I'm hardly leet-skillz0r or anything, but if you need any texing done in photoshop, or say, a demo map (to show off some element you've designed) knocking up, then just let me know & I'd be happy to help.
                            Cheers & have fun!

Ps: I'll drop you a pm when the first beta comes out if you'd like.

PsII: Ah, a kitty, damn it's obvious now you mention it. Zoidberg? What was I thinking? Gah, in my defence it was something crazy like 7am, approached from the wrong direction.. :haha:
                            lmao... haven't gone by slash in quite a while; yet I'm still too lazy to change my email X3

Thanks for the offer, I'lll keep it in mind; and yes, of course I'd like to see the beta of the map.

and... I appreciate the praise, I'm just... totally confused as to how to reply to it ^^;

Have anything else you want modeled? I can't do organics apparently (rocks, trees, plants, caves, etc.) but man-made crap I seem to do okay with. :3

Comment

Have anything else you want modeled? I can't do organics apparently (rocks, trees, plants, caves, etc.) but man-made crap I seem to do okay with. :3
                              Aha, well as it happens, yeah I've got a couple of ideas than might be fun, but it might be more fair to others, and to you, to let someone else make a request first.

By all means, it would be massively appreciated, especially considering the stirling work you've already done, and if you're still at a loss as to what to build, I've outlinted a quickie idea below.

But, if somone else is more desperately in need of your services than it might seem a bit selfish of me to *hog* them as it were.

**** APC Missile Loader ****

Basically, I'm thinking of something almost identical to the APC from Aliens in shape (close enough so you recognise the military shape & reference);

- but instead of being a combat vehicle, it has a recessed loading mechanism on the top for the ICBMs (which the existing missile meshes - scaled down - can sit on), kind of like a wide, fat, heavily armoured transport truck.

(this is just an example of real-world versions. Anything you come up with doesn't have to look like this at all)

The reason I'm after a chassis very similar to the APC is because it's a classic design, and it's the perfect shape for fighting and jumping over & around, and in a vctf map I'm not trying to fill all the spaces with awkward, snaggable meshes.

I could go into much more detail, echnical drawing, etc.., but I won't right now, since it's just the basic outline & you might very well decide you'd rather build summat else for somebody else's project.

Anywhoo, just a thought if you're interested.

*EDIT* Yay! Just thought I'd add this, here's how the new missile mesh sits in the map.
                              Check out the first pics I posted in the thread & compare to see how uggerly they were before.

Ok, so I still need to work on the wall textures & lighting of course, but it looks 100 times better already.

Comment

Aha, well as it happens, yeah I've got a couple of ideas than might be fun, but it might be more fair to others, and to you, to let someone else make a request first.

By all means, it would be massively appreciated, especially considering the stirling work you've already done, and if you're still at a loss as to what to build, I've outlinted a quickie idea below.

But, if somone else is more desperately in need of your services than it might seem a bit selfish of me to *hog* them as it were.

**** APC Missile Loader ****

Basically, I'm thinking of something almost identical to the APC from Aliens in shape (close enough so you recognise the military shape & reference);

- but instead of being a combat vehicle, it has a recessed loading mechanism on the top for the ICBMs (which the existing missile meshes - scaled down - can sit on), kind of like a wide, fat, heavily armoured transport truck.

(this is just an example of real-world versions. Anything you come up with doesn't have to look like this at all)

The reason I'm after a chassis very similar to the APC is because it's a classic design, and it's the perfect shape for fighting and jumping over & around, and in a vctf map I'm not trying to fill all the spaces with awkward, snaggable meshes.

I could go into much more detail, echnical drawing, etc.., but I won't right now, since it's just the basic outline & you might very well decide you'd rather build summat else for somebody else's project.

Anywhoo, just a thought if you're interested.

*EDIT* Yay! Just thought I'd add this, here's how the new missile mesh sits in the map.
                                Check out the first pics I posted in the thread & compare to see how uggerly they were before.

Ok, so I still need to work on the wall textures & lighting of course, but it looks 100 times better already.

Haaa, lookin' good ^^

Okay, so... nobody else has responded yet to me makin' another custom mesh, so I'm gonna get started on that APC. :3

The APC will be static, yes? As in, scenery? As in, players won't actually be using it for anything aside the possibility of standing on it to get to a powerup or whatever?

Editorial sidenote.... wouldn't this be considered an AMC, and not an APC? "Armored Missile Carrier" vs "Armored Personel Carrier"? :3

Comment

Working...
                                X