Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

lots and lots of trees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lots and lots of trees

well im am now learning the hard way why there are so ferw forest maps out there.

in my map i have roughly 3429 trees (381 antalus trees groups) of coarse now i get a bout 20 FPSD on my Radeaon 9200

so what i need to know is how to fix this without going in and giving each and every single 3429 trees a simplified collision with blocking volumes. there must be some way to get the FPS up without sacrificing too many trees however i will get rid of a few ifd nessisary

The problem I think is the overlay of the leaves: the leaves are semi transparent, so when leaves are in front of leaves are in front of leaves, things get rather tricky to calculate. The only option you have is, I think to ditch a whole load of trees.

Comment

maybe u could use distance fog..

Comment

im a noob so i dont really know what im talking about but couldnt you use a skybox with like, trees everywhere on the bottom half like grendel has mountians? and yea use a fog :noob: i was gona make a forrest map but thought it would be too hard. you could always set it in a vally so you dont have to include as many trees.

Comment

For skybox trees, check out Rankin's skybox.

Comment

Make sure the tree foliage uses a MASKED texture instead of an ALPHA texture. That should make it significantly faster.

Comment

DistanceFog at around 8000 units + CullDistance if neccessary. Rigidized skeletal meshes with low poly LOD meshes also can be fast, but they render extremely slowly in editor 2D wireframe viewports.

Comment

ad zone portals so much u can it will unload trees if u arent looking at that side u can test and see if it works by typing (only ofline) in console

rmode1

Comment

Re: lots and lots of trees

Originally posted by inventor209
                  simplified collision with blocking volumes. there must be some way to get the FPS up
                  Collision only lowers the FPS when a player touches it. And it isn't even that much considering the antalus trees are pretty lowpoly.

Comment

You say on your 'Tree-B-Gone' thread that you have solved the tree FPS issue.

I also have made a map; VCTF-PaintBall http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=494097 that has a lot of trees on it, could you please explain how you solved the problem, as I may be able to incorporate it into my map.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X