Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to make a tunnel through a water volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to make a tunnel through a water volume?

I am trying to make a tunnel (one that a player can walk through)that goes through a water volume. I am trying to avoid building several water volume brushes around my tunnel, but the only other ways that I tried doesnt lock the "water" out of the tunner (it still has water volume properties inside of it). Is there any way to cut a hole through a volume?

I doubt it.. you could try a blockingvolume where your tunnel is, but I still doubt that would work.. Water is water, you can't just cut through it..

Comment

Unless its frozen :O

hehe

Comment

It will be fine however you do it, you can't get bsp holes with physics volumes. It doesn't matter if you have lots of water volumes around the tunnel - its not really going to slow anything down in this day and age - our processors can handle it. And, its not like they have to be that complex with a character being about 128 uu in height. Just plonk them in and be done with it.

Comment

I never tried it - but UDN doesn't say anything that a volume can't have a tunnel left out inside. So you could try to make a cube somewhere outside of the map with the size of the watervolume and substract another cube with the size of the tunnel out of it. Now intersect both of them and add your volume where it belongs.

But I never tried this.

Comment

Can't you just put another normal cylindrical physics volume where you want the tunnel to be, set to a higher priority than the water volume?

Comment

Ok, say you've got a room filled with water (basic cube with a volume). Now add a cylinder brush going from one wall to another for the tunnel. Obviously, as you've said, the tunnel will have the properties of the volume because it's within the volume. So, delete the volume and make the builder brush the right size for the cube again, then hit the de-intersect button (underneath the Subtract button). Voila, it should give you a cube shaped brush with a tunnel shaped hole through it. Then just add your volume and you've got a tunnel through water

Like this:

Comment

OH HELL NO.

Do like Mr. Evil said, put a big cube/cylinder/whatever for the water volume, then put a normal PhysicsVolume inside of it for the tunnel. In the Volume properties there's an entry called Priority, volumes with a higher Priority override any volume that surrounds them.

Comment

So you like making more work for yourself then? It's a volume, it's not as though the funky shape is going to cause BSP errors.

Comment

Same amount of work as what you just described.

And that uber-ugly volume actually will cause other problems, for one it will take longer for the game to figure out if you're in it because of the complicated shape, not to mention it's just fugly and would clutter your screen.

Comment

No it wouldn't - I hide volumes unless I'm working with them

Comment

I'm thinking either way will work, but Angel_Mapper's is more elegant.

Making a brush shape and then turning it into a physics volume probably won't be as efficient as setting the priorities up right, but it looks like it'll be used in a confined area, with low rendering needs anyway.

Try both, let us know how it work/ fails

Comment

I agree with the "2 volume+priority setting" method. The other way defeats the reason for volumes to exist , in the first place.

Make cube volume....make cylinder volume....adjust properties....done.

Comment

Working...
                          X