Need help with glass on my map.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with glass on my map.

Is there anyone that can help me with this. I have been trying everything everyone says for weeks now, I need someone who knows how to make a glass floor to take a look at my map and see whats wrong.

huh? its easy, mind you I spent alot of time trying to figure out how to do "glass" right in ued. want me to look at it? If so just send your map over to ctfx1@ut2003archive.net and i'd be happy to check it out for you.

Comment

I sent you the link for dl. Let me know. Thank you.

Comment

ok, I didnt make the glass floor on your map because of all the misaligned brushes, your brushes arnt even on the grid on 1 units :bulb: you need to turn the snap to grid thing on and change your grid view to 16 units per square. Also vertex editing is a very important skill in level design espeacially in fps level design. well anyways I made a small level design to show you how its done. basicly two glass sheets, blocking volume to support walking on the glass with colision property blocknonzeroextent set to true so ammo will collide with the blocking volume. Look at it and you should be able to figure out how I did it.

download here
        glassdemo

oh and also pls let me know when you've finished downloading it so I can delete it from unrealplayground.

Comment

k. Ty. i have it. also, could you explain a little bit more about the vertex editing? im not sure I understand. I am fairly new at maping. what did I do wrong, or what do i need to do?

Comment

k.. the only thing im confused about then is the edge of the glass. If you used two glass sheets and put them back to back. how did you make the edges so they blocked?? surround the whole thing with a blocking volume?

Comment

oh, well you can subtract from sheets, but you cant subtract blocking volume space, unfortunately. so there are actually 8 blocking volumes in there I think.They are vertex edited to the shape of the hole out to the walls. Oh and the vertex editing, your vertexes are not aligned to the grid, I HIGHLY recomend you align everything to the grid it will make your life SOO much easier, avoiding weird hom's and bugs and stuff. Also it will make mapping much easier for measurement etc. check out these mastering unreal videos, these will get you up to speed mighty quick. once your on the page click on level editing 101
              register its completely free and totally worth it, download the huge videos download the codecs to play it, play it and do what they do on the video at the same time in the editor.

Comment

Do you have msn or icq? im really confused about this. and im not going anywhere on it. im on now, can you hit me up at one of these. i would love to find out what you mean.

MSN: nexcite@hotmail.com

Comment

funny thing is I dont know how to use icq

Comment

instead of using a sheet (what is the better way of course) you can also use a 1 unit cube, like 64x64x1, units for the window. Just put it into the frame but make it slightly smaller so it doesn't touch the frame. If it touches the frame you will be able to look through the frame into nirvana.

It's not a good way to build the glass though. You should really go through some tutorials. Another way to find out how things work is to look at a map in the editor that uses the same situation that you want to build up.

Comment

Yeah, I've used that method before, using a solid bsp brush and giving it the glass texture but I prefer my glass to be able to touch the walls without looking into infinity. but thats just my preference,

Comment

Why not use a mesh then? That way it wont interfere with the bsp

Comment

Originally posted by S-Dot
                          instead of using a sheet (what is the better way of course) you can also use a 1 unit cube, like 64x64x1, units for the window. Just put it into the frame but make it slightly smaller so it doesn't touch the frame. If it touches the frame you will be able to look through the frame into nirvana.

It's not a good way to build the glass though. You should really go through some tutorials. Another way to find out how things work is to look at a map in the editor that uses the same situation that you want to build up.
                          make it either a mesh, or simply turn the glass brush into a semi solid. then that method is a perfectly good way to build glass. you will no longer see into "nirvana" if it touches the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by [ND] neoduck
                            make it either a mesh, or simply turn the glass brush into a semi solid. then that method is a perfectly good way to build glass. you will no longer see into "nirvana" if it touches the frame.
                            whoa, never thought of that before, only prob is you cant subtract from a semisolid but you can intersect de intersect what you need and then turn it into a semisolid, that'd be cool! thanks for the suggestion neo duck i'll keep it in mind for my next map or something.

Comment

Working...
                            X