Hover Scorp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hover Scorp

Ever seen a S.H.I.E.L.D flying car? Or "Back to the Future"?

I propose replacing the tires on the Scorp with mini-jet engines instead of tires like the above mentioned vehicles, allowing the relatively useless Scorp to hover and jump not unlike the Manta.

Thoughts?

C'mon, the Scorp is by far the lamest vehicle in ONS land, giving it the ability to crab and jump would legitimize it, no?

Can I get a helll yeah?!

Comment

Originally posted by Throttlebottom
      C'mon, the Scorp is by far the lamest vehicle in ONS land, giving it the ability to crab and jump would legitimize it, no?

Can I get a helll yeah?!
      I don't think the scorp is THAT bad but cool idea
      :up: :up:

Comment

Wouldn't be hard to do if I'd know where to find a static mesh of it. (The editor placeable meshes don't have weapons in them)

Comment

Actualy... i made a this for my map im working on its called the mantascorp

screenshot:

want me to turn this into a mutator?

(map wont be publicly released )

Comment

Comment

model it and its done

Comment

Originally posted by CaTdAeMoN
                Actualy... i made a this for my map im working on its called the mantascorp

screenshot:

want me to turn this into a mutator?

(map wont be publicly released )
                It still has wheels, but its still cool if it moves like a Manta. I know nothing about modeling, but it would be really cool to have a model with the tires folded down and jet exhaust coming out of each.

Or better yet, a normal Scorp model that you hit a key to make the wheels fold down and it can hover like a Scorp for a period of time. That would balance it a bit, as its such a good Manta killer, and if it could move like a Manta, it would make them almost useless.

Comment

just make chitty chitty bang bang

you know you want to!

Comment

Originally posted by Throttlebottom
                    Or better yet, a normal Scorp model that you hit a key to make the wheels fold down and it can hover like a Scorp for a period of time. That would balance it a bit, as its such a good Manta killer, and if it could move like a Manta, it would make them almost useless.
                    I agree. It'd be a bit silly to make the Manta redundant to make the Scorpion useful. If the Scorp would clearly outperform the Manta, the Manta would need to be "fixed". In the interest of balance, every advantage needs a disadvantage.

How 'bout...

Pressing Duck puts the Scorp into low altitude hover mode, causing the wheels to face the ground and emit exhaust blasts like a combination of the Back to the Future Delorean and the Manta. Pressing Duck again puts the Scorp back in drive mode.

Hover mode is a little slower than drive mode, but has limited jump, decent turning and excellent strafing capabilities. While hovering, the Scorp ignores those annoying bumps in terrain and can pwn with the blade arms.

Variation:

Instead of transforming when Duck is pressed, the Scorp transforms when altfire is pressed. The blade arms are disabled in drive mode (in which they're useless anyway) but enabled on primary fire in hover mode. The bolas are disabled in hover mode, because the Scorp needs to rerout almost all its power to its exhausts. This makes the Scorp in drive mode the Scorp we all know and "love", but allows it to enter a completely different mode that takes on some, but not all, of the Manta's characteristics.

There's only one potential problem with this... I'm not sure it's possible to have a vehicle switch between drive mode and hover mode. Anyone know the answer to that?

Comment

Its perfectly possible to switch between drive and hover mode.

This would probably involve some clever vehicle spawning stuff, but it could be done with some hard code.

As for the transforming etc, this would again need someone to model it

Comment

Could you expand on the "clever vehicle spawning stuff"? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Comment

*Sigh* you guys haven't seen the movie like I have... The Jet Exhausts enable it to FLY Like a RAPTOR. Not HOVER.

Comment

I know, but wouldn't that be a bit unbalanced? Don't forget that these things lie strewn around maps by the handful because they're the least useful vehicle.

Comment

Yeah, I know the examples I used really fly, but I was just referring to the way their wheels fold down to produce thrust. A flying scorp would mess up the vehicle balance to much, a hovering scorp--especially with a limiited amount of hovering time--wouldn't be overpowered, and would make a weak vehicle a little more effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X