Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOD REQUEST: Anti-Flag camping mod (details inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOD REQUEST: Anti-Flag camping mod (details inside)

This seems like it'd be easily doable and I know several servers that would LOVE to implement something like this

Basically it's a mod that extends spawn protection to when a flag is taken.

So essentially, when you grab the flag, for xx seconds, you are invulnerable to being shot/killed. This can be set in a section in the .ini and that's about all it would take to make it work.

I imagine since taking the flag is already an event (as it spams a message to all players), it'd be easy to tie that event to spawn protection or something like it?

I think this would be a great idea. I don't follow these forums a lot, so just in case you guys are wondering, a lot of us play zark and PIG (pyscho instagib). Both of these mods lend themselves to campers flag camping the flags and getting easy kills from people trying to take their flag. So a mod like this would be extremely useful. I know that for 2k3 a mod was floated around that if you stood still for xx seconds you would be killed. Unfortunately, that mod is not very practical considering you can flag camp aka flag shoot without having to stand still completely. So come on you mod making freaks! Help some brothers out!

Comment

This mod would be awsome, and bring enjoyment back to the game!
      Especially in PIG where one shot kills you, way too many people just constantly rapid fire at their flag.
      This would level the playing field and force new players to learn strategy in gaming!
      Great idea Gin!!!

Comment

Absolutely! This mod would really help revive our little piece of the UT online world. It just becomes no fun when you have guys just constanlty shooting the flag. Even some of our best runners can't get to it with the Zark/PIG mods we use.

Comment

hi ZF and all others!
          i´ve been waiting for this kinda mut for a long time! i´m really happy if this mut came through!

either a few seconds spawnprotection or make ppl who shoots a flag die or both or whatever... anythign that stops flagshooting!
          :heart:

http://msf.webhop.net
          http://msfclan.proboards20.com/

Comment

I agree, something needs made. I don't know if the invuln would work, unless it as less than 2 seconds, but if something could be made that killed the person if his beam passed through the flag area, that'd be superb.

Or, at the very least make a mod that keeps track at how many "flag shoots" a person makes, then admins and stuff can ban whoever makes a habit of it. Like how you see how many flag touches, deaths, etc you have at the end of the game, having this be part of it would atleast help a little.

Anyways... something needs done!

Comment

That's be a nice feature darwin, but I don't want to kill the mut before it's made

Really the only thing that would be NEEDED is no hit momentum or boosting. Otherwise a flag carrier could be knocked back several yards and the protection would run out before he even made it back to where he started

I think invulnerabilty, just like the one for spawn protection, would be perfect. Give it for a small fraction of time, but tweakable by the admins (so they could adjust it as they feel is needed - some games may require more than others).

Another question would be whether or not the flag carrier could shoot their flag. Imagine flying into your base and seeing your flag go, you'll want to help keep it there. But then again, this could possibly be a setting.

The instant kill thing may be a little difficult to work. This isn't so much about penalizing flag campers, but more about giving campers less incentive to camp as a whole. Sometimes a shot will hit near the flag that wasn't intended for the flag (in IG the beam will spam until it hits a wall for example), so that may open a can of worms.

At this point though, I'd just see a mut that does this:

1) Gives the flag runner xx seconds of invulnerability once the flag is grabbed.
              2) While invulnerability is granted, making it so that the player cannot be boosted (perhaps just by enemy shots?).
              3) Invulnerability is nulled out if shot by a flag carrier.

I think those 3 guidelines could help keep this fair. There will always be some level of "working the system" so to speak, but a simple mod that gave more of these options to be configured in the .ini would be perfect.

Comment

That sounds nice Mistergin!

Comment

I like to see a Mod like that. Sounds like good rules and if it did not work or go well with players on the server. The Server admin can always delete the INI line and poof its gone and back to normal. Sounds easy and would be worth a try.

Comment

This is a great idea Gin! I think this would get rid of alot of frustration that a game of PIG or ZARK can give.. and games aren't ment to make you frustrated.. Latley I've only seen ppl nagging at eachother and starting threads that are offending. The fun of the game seems to dissapear because of it.. Alot of my clan members don't even play UT anymore and maybe this is one of the reasons..

The only thing that would make it perfect is to get rid of the boosting that other spawn protections come with.. But i see that Gin's already on that! ^^

all support from {FsZ} clan

vonno :noob:

Comment

Would it only happen when they took the flag off the flag base? Or when they picked it up where ever...?

Because if the latter, a skilled person could take the flag, run for the time they're invulnerable, drop it, and pick it up again getting invulnerable again.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowWrâth
                        Would it only happen when they took the flag off the flag base? Or when they picked it up where ever...?

Because if the latter, a skilled person could take the flag, run for the time they're invulnerable, drop it, and pick it up again getting invulnerable again.

someone else brought up an equally good idea if not better

Just simply set a number in the .ini for the amount of times a player can shoot at the flag "area" (area could also be defined in the .ini) before he himself is killed.

Set this to a low threshhold and you suddenly have a LOT of dying campers :P

Comment

make ém die lol

Comment

So... who's almost done with it?

Comment

As far as I've heard, though I'm sure Gin can give a more reliable answer - no one has started working on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X