Unreal Keyboard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Keyboard!

Hey Guys, I'm working on a MIDI-Keyboard-Mod-Thing for UT2k4 where you use your keyboard as... well.. a keyboard!

This is the Idea:

I already got it running with crappy edited samples sounding like an icehockey-stadium-organ. You know, that thing that does this DU-DU-DU-DAAAADADA!

I think it would be cool to have this running on a server with 16 people or so making music online. MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER JAM_SESSIONS!

Whatever. Might aswell turn it into some kind of Battle-system. Any ideas?

Haha, would be funny

Comment

Ooooh, for teh battle system have teh high notes send out fast low damage energy blasts and the low notes big high damage slow energy blasts, and you can play your favorite song while killing your enemies :up: :up:

Comment

There should be a game mode where the point of the game is to type the notes that are displayed on screen at the right tempo/the fastest, and if you're too slow you get fragged or something.

It'd be like DDR with flak cannons.

... *shrug*

Comment

This idea is unique. Wow! I, for one, am surprised and impressed.

Comment

Ok so here's the plan: the music is a piece with both a melody and a harmony. hell you can have mroe than 2 players with just various instruments, be they a metal band, from electric guitars, bass, to an orchestra, complete with a brass and woodwond section. each side must play a certain part of the song. blue team gets harmony, red team gets melody, or whatever. various notes in the music count for either dodging or firing. if you miss a note, you might miss a shot, or worse you might get shot. basically in order for the music to sound good, both sides must play their piece well. As it requires hitting all the notes at the right time, effectively if both sides were to play the piece perfectly, then watching the ensuing battle would result in a really awesome battle.

Further, since most of the actual playing would mean you're paying more attention to the notes than the action, have a replay at the end, so the computer plays the proper music in time to the resulting match, which the players would then be able to watch without worrying about "OMGWTF i missed a note!"

Another idea would be to have both sides play the same piece, and whoever plays ebtter wins. maybe have teams of two, and each team gets one player with melody, one with harmony.

For you unmusicy types, the "melody" is the main "tune" of the music, the foremost thing you hear, the harmony is the "background" tune, in a way. For example, generally the guitar(for metal) and trumpets/brass(for traditional orchestral/band) are melody. The elec. bass(once again, for metal), and woodwinds (IE: Flutes, clarinets, saxaphones, for traditional) play the harmony. I'm kinda bad at explaining it, any musicy types care to try and explain it better? hell maybe I don't need to, maybe everyone already knows what the hell a melody and harmony is, although I try not to make assumptions of "well duh, everyone knows that!"

Comment

Originally posted by S.N.E.D.
              For you unmusicy types, the "melody" is the main "tune" of the music, the foremost thing you hear, the harmony is the "background" tune, in a way. For example, generally the guitar(for metal) and trumpets/brass(for traditional orchestral/band) are melody. The elec. bass(once again, for metal), and woodwinds (IE: Flutes, clarinets, saxaphones, for traditional) play the harmony. I'm kinda bad at explaining it, any musicy types care to try and explain it better? hell maybe I don't need to, maybe everyone already knows what the hell a melody and harmony is, although I try not to make assumptions of "well duh, everyone knows that!"
              WTF? elec. bass doesn't play harmonies! they just play tones, just like every other instrument. Harmony comes from the mix of all the 'voices', where every instrument is a voice. Would you only hear the bass, it would sound like a melody, because the melody comes from the most dominant voice, which is in general the highest one (there are exceptions, though, where the melody is played in the bass).

making this with the battle-thing is certainly not impossible to code, but I won't do it, coz it involves UGLY AI-programming. Instead, I would say that the harmonies make particle-emitters likes sparkles and traces and such things, where the color and the type comes from the different harmonies you play, so the major-accords make brighter particles and the minor-accords make darker ones. And if we involve some jazz-accords or old keys (like phrygian or dorian) we get very crazy combinations.

btw, you can even play harmonies alone, since you can press 3 keys the same time!

Including some piano-samples atm.

Comment

Well, I stand corrected. Forgive me my ignorance. Public school music system wasn't exactly, uhm... educational. But I seem to remember there being something "behind" the melody. Maybe it wasn't harmony, but, hell, maybe my bad memory is just confusing me.

Comment

Ph34r teh Interface of DOOM! :haha:

Comment

Working...
                  X