Community Patch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Community Patch??

I was thinking how about alot of talented people around here make a community patch for ut2004 and present it to epic games and try to make it official.
    A some kind of todo list i was thinking: HD textures, Realtime shadows, Redisigned HUD and HD weapons, community maps!, redisigned Main Menu, full dx9 and 64bit support etc.

I know its alot of todo list, but if all programmers around here get together and work as team i think its possible to realise this and present it too epic games and devs, as 10 years of ut2004 community patch, they could release it and it can become some kind of official community patch!

Tell me what you think guys!

My 2 cents: as much as I like the idea of updating UT2004 (maybe some new code features like components and even better skeletal animation blending tools, or in-editor staticmesh lightmap generation support), I think that if any "artwork" effort was going to be applied (new textures, HD player and weapon models), it should go to UT4 instead. The nice thing about UT2k4 is that it runs, in general, reasonably well on older machines. There are already tons of custom maps, mods etc. so I don't really see a need to add anything else to this engine version to support the newer rendering code. If people want a prettier version of the game my opinion is they should go to UT3 or UT4 instead.

Comment

I agree. Bugfixes and compatibility updates are definitely welcome, but new content is above and beyond the scope of a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
        I agree. Bugfixes and compatibility updates are definitely welcome, but new content is above and beyond the scope of a patch.
        Yeah exactly what i was thinking, but there is no need for new content maybe just to include some community maps, new hud, HQ weapons and Models, we could make a todo list and have people start working on it.
        I have read posts about HD Textures and as I saw it would be possible to have them if server has them. And we already have a mutator for realtime shadows that could be included into patch without needing mutator, we could write here, or pm flak or someone to get access to source code of ut2004 engine and work on patch without breaking eula and any laws! I am sure they would be glad to help us out!

As for meowcats idea, its not bad, but there is problem already. UT4 is not nearly even finished and scaling the characters and rest would cause problems and importing all stuff from ut2004 to make a mod would take alot more time then just fixing the current problems in ut2004. I think ut2004 still has potential even so its old game it still runs smoother then ut4 on any todays rig.

Comment

@ bass3: maybe I misunderstood what you were suggesting. What do you think needs patching? What problems exist in UT2004 (aside from widescreen support)? What benefit would full 64-bit support provide?

What I mean about UT4 is, if a community member is going to spend (unpaid) time working on a new high-definition weapon models or textures (which I assume is what you are talking about when you said "...HD textures,..., Redisigned HUD and HD weapons..") why should they do it for a 10 year old game, when they can apply their time and effort to making content for the new game? I love UT2004 and will be modding for it and playing it for many years to come, but free-time is a very precious resource. While I can see making content (weapon & player models) for UT4 that could be "back-ported" to UT2004 (maybe created some slightly lower-detailed versions, uses slightly lower-res textures etc., which is something I am strongly considering doing), planning on making it only for UT2k4 seems like a poor use of resources given the audience (especially if there is nothing overly broken....). The being said, I think it would be cool to see and incorporate some fixes like being able to adjust for widescreen monitors (without stretching) since that seems to be the way most monitors are going now...

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
            Yeah exactly what i was thinking, but there is no need for new content maybe just to include some community maps, new hud, HQ weapons and Models, we could make a todo list and have people start working on it.
            The thing is that we already have HQ weapons in the form of the UT3 weapons mod plus tons of higher res character models from other games,etc....There is the UT2k3 hud but none other that I know of.I would like to be still playing UT2k4 in the next 9\10 years because there is just so much content for it....Just need to fix and finish my maps though.

Comment

Originally posted by meowcat View Post
              What benefit would full 64-bit support provide?
              My UT2004 is crashing with "run out of memory" error from time to time when I play with Ballistic Weapons online. According to win7 task manager at the time of crash it only uses 1.5 gigs of ram (I have 16). Several other people reported the same issue on LDG forums. Most of them have modern PCs, but since UT2004 is a 32-bit app, it doesn't really help.

Comment

I am sure that difference btw, 64 bit and 32 bit benefits is a joke question, you as programmer should know this! Every todays modern pc has 64 bit processor in it, and using more then 3.5 gb of RAM.

Some videos of what could patch look like:

Combine 2 videos together, and imagine new HD resolution weapons and characters in it!

hud:

Revision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PAWaBN0EdY

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                  My UT2004 is crashing with "run out of memory" error from time to time when I play with Ballistic Weapons online. According to win7 task manager at the time of crash it only uses 1.5 gigs of ram (I have 16). Several other people reported the same issue on LDG forums. Most of them have modern PCs, but since UT2004 is a 32-bit app, it doesn't really help.
                  That's a problem with the mod itself, not UT2004.

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                  I have read posts about HD Textures and as I saw it would be possible to have them if server has them. And we already have a mutator for realtime shadows that could be included into patch without needing mutator, we could write here, or pm flak or someone to get access to source code of ut2004 engine and work on patch without breaking eula and any laws! I am sure they would be glad to help us out!

As for meowcats idea, its not bad, but there is problem already. UT4 is not nearly even finished and scaling the characters and rest would cause problems and importing all stuff from ut2004 to make a mod would take alot more time then just fixing the current problems in ut2004. I think ut2004 still has potential even so its old game it still runs smoother then ut4 on any todays rig.
                  That is NOT what I was thinking at all, Bass3. A patch makes minimal changes. New models and new assets take a LOT of time, effort, and testing, and what you are talking about is more akin to a bonus pack or even a new game than a patch. Hundreds of man-hours of unpaid work at minimum. Even adding existing mods means they need to be tested thoroughly, and likely redone to pass muster. (This is what happened to the BP2 maps.) As meowcat said, that effort is better put towards UT4. On top of that, any changes made to UT2004 will likely break compatibility with existing mods, which are unlikely to be updated by their authors, making the game LESS fun to play.

Originally posted by maxdamage View Post
                  The thing is that we already have HQ weapons in the form of the UT3 weapons mod plus tons of higher res character models from other games,etc....There is the UT2k3 hud but none other that I know of.I would like to be still playing UT2k4 in the next 9\10 years because there is just so much content for it....Just need to fix and finish my maps though.
                  While existing mods might be usable in a patch, using assets from other games in a patch without explicit permission is a terrible idea. Even though Epic allows reuse of assets from other Unreal series games, I don't think UT3 assets belong in an official patch either. Just because UT3 weapons are newer doesn't mean they are better, or that people would prefer them (I don't.)

A patch should include basic bugfixes, better widescreen support, fixes for newer operating systems and little else. No major redesign of the HUD, new weapon models or anything. The more changes you try to make, the more likely it is that it will break compatibility with existing mods. So just basic updates and minimal changes.

Comment

That's a problem with the mod itself but it makes it quite obvious that if you want better quality content you need 64 bit support. Though I'm not a big fan of the "HQ weapons and models" idea as well, I was just answering meowcat's question.

Comment

Can you prove that? Ballistic Weapons has horrific asset load given the number of weapons present, and I'm not sure if that can be classed as a "problem with the mod" if it's hitting a limit imposed by 32-bit UT2004. Otherwise, I would love to know how to fix it.

I'd also like to add that I don't get this issue after having used some kind of patch on UT2004 a while ago (think I got it from a thread on Runestorm's boards).

Agreed. If a community patch were possible, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Azarael View Post
                        Can you prove that? Ballistic Weapons has horrific asset load given the number of weapons present, and I'm not sure if that can be classed as a "problem with the mod" if it's hitting a limit imposed by 32-bit UT2004. Otherwise, I would love to know how to fix it.

I'd also like to add that I don't get this issue after having used some kind of patch on UT2004 a while ago (think I got it from a thread on Runestorm's boards).

Agreed. If a community patch were possible, that would be great.
                        "horrific asset load given the number of weapons present"

I believe that's your answer. I don't think we need to patch the main game just to fix a mod.

Comment

I believe that's your answer. I don't think we need to patch the main game just to fix a mod.
                          This game is all about mods, isn't it?
                          Make 15 characters in UT3 res (2048x body + 2048x head each), 10 weapons of the same quality and a couple of new environment assets and UT2004 will be unplayable. Given how popular HD monitors are these days and that some people are still making stuff for this game (not to mention numerous HD character and weapon ports from later games), I think 64 bit support would be really useful.

Comment

There is a 64-bit patch for the game already. It's not perfect (has some bugs) but it's out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                              This game is all about mods, isn't it?
                              Make 15 characters in UT3 res (2048x body + 2048x head each), 10 weapons of the same quality and a couple of new environment assets and UT2004 will be unplayable. Given how popular HD monitors are these days and that some people are still making stuff for this game (not to mention numerous HD character and weapon ports from later games), I think 64 bit support would be really useful.
                              Why new assets and HQ models and weapons?There are tons of custom content for UT2k4 so why the need to go and waste to create when we can just port HQ content ourselves over from other games,etc..?Having better 64-bit support will possibly encourage me to leave win xp pro and my #%^#$% up pc and go over to win 7 pro 64-bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X