Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone create a (user configurable) match ladder, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone create a (user configurable) match ladder, please?

I've been looking for a way to define my own 'single player' campaign for UT2004 - by which I mean a way to create a whole new match ladder for the game. You know how the single player game is a serious of bot matches in preset configurations (the map, the number of bots, etc), well I'd love to be able to create a new tournament using the levels and bots and whatever of my own choosing. So if it is possible, please could someone create a mod that allows this.

It doesn't have to be fancy or full of options, just able to allow the user to define which maps and settings to use, and preferably be able to store several different tournament ladders and their gamesaves, all for offline play for a single player. Oh, and please don't force the user to use any particular mode, i.e. in my case I won't be adding any Bombing Run matches as I don't like it! Please allow the user to select only the modes that (s)he chooses.

Thanks for reading, and for any answers.

Well, this is pretty abstract. The implementation of this idea can range from a simple maplist to the UT2004 SP campaign.
    One thing to note is that the SP campaign itself is hardcoded and you can't do anything with it. You could create a total conversion mod and do some GUI tricks to create something akin to that (as you can use the resources themselves). Of course that would be pretty tricky to do.
    A way simpler thing more towards the maplist side is to have a small mutator that restarts the same map if you lose it, until you beat it (upon which the maplist then progresses forward). That shouldn't be very hard to do I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Well, this is pretty abstract. The implementation of this idea can range from a simple maplist to the UT2004 SP campaign.
      One thing to note is that the SP campaign itself is hardcoded and you can't do anything with it. You could create a total conversion mod and do some GUI tricks to create something akin to that (as you can use the resources themselves). Of course that would be pretty tricky to do.
      Yes, that does sound like a large undertaking.

A way simpler thing more towards the maplist side is to have a small mutator that restarts the same map if you lose it, until you beat it (upon which the maplist then progresses forward). That shouldn't be very hard to do I believe.
      That's a great idea, but still beyond my skills, I'm afraid.

To add to my first post above, it doesn't matter so much if the mod isn't too friendly, i.e. if you have to use a text file (instead of options from within UT2004) to specify the ladder matches' details, as long as the parameters the user needs to enter are clear documented (level name, game type, number of bots, team set up, points needed to win match, etc). It would also be great if multiple ladders could be used, so that if a text file were used then the player could add the player ladder with, say, the command line parameter -customladder [name]

UT2004.exe -customladder new1.txt

c:\games\UT2004\system\UT2004.exe -customladder c:\games\UT2004\Mike\dm_only.txt

or with an option inside the UT2004 menus.

Come to think of it, whatever format such a mod would take, it would ideally have a way for the user to play any of the matches at will, so (s)he can play any match in the ladder to test the settings, when the user is creating the ladder.

Comment

That's implementable through .ini files, and any changes would take effect when an INI file is swapped out with another one. Though you're listing quite a few configuration options and this would be slightly more difficult to achieve. The whole level switching is merely a console command, the difficulty is making parts of it configurable and parsing those parts into a command line string. Not too difficult overall, actually.

Comment

This sounds like a good idea, it would be nice to devise your own tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Parkis G View Post
            This sounds like a good idea, it would be nice to devise your own tournament.
            Yes, you could even make your own theme'd tournaments, such as using only science-fiction style maps, or only medieval maps, or have tournaments using only assault maps, or whatever else you choose.

It does seem surprising that no one has made a mod for this already, as surely lots of people would want to make their own tournament ladders.

Comment

I admit, some sort of sandbox to create all kinds of tournaments and let them run would be fun, but then again you could do that on your own with just having to write down the results and the ladder.

Comment

I was thinking of this again today.
                Maybe something like this, even though it sounds pretty extreme.

Setup Tournament Config before Start:

Level 1 - Weapons, Bots, Map, Optional Monsters, Vehicles, Score Limit, Optional Mutators
                Level 2 - ""
                Level 3 - ""
                Level 4 - Championship Round

(maybe change gametype every round, or whenever)

I also liked in some games, Coop, where you could play against the bots with other players, or you could have a couple bots on each team in some cases.
                Sort of a versatile Super Unreal Tournament.
                It would seem a good idea to make the Tournaments either small or large, depending how long you want them to be.

Comment

Sorry to bump an old post, but I've never found a mod or mutator to do this (either in UT2004 or UT99), so I'm hoping that this time around someone will either post a link to such a mod/mutator, or maybe someone will be encouraged to create one. I do think that it would be quite popular amongst us fans.

Comment

Working...
                  X