Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Shootmania's Elite gametype in UT2004

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shootmania's Elite gametype in UT2004

EDIT:

teh.m3nt0r is making the gametype! Read posts below.
    For more information (videos, images) and download, when possible, visit Elite mod page on ModDB.

A long time ago, far far away on the Internet, I wrote:

I would love to see the Elite gametype from Shootmania Storm for Unreal Tournament 2004. Here's a description:

A 3 vs 3 mode. On the field there is an offender equipped with a laser gun (can eliminate an opponent in one hit) with 3 armor points, must survive 45 seconds against 3 defenders equipped with rocket launchers (one armor damage per rocket). Once the time expires, he has 15 seconds to capture the pole or eliminate the 3 defenders (he can also do it the 45 first seconds) to win the round.
    Lightning gun for the offender acting as an instagib weapon and rocket launchers for defenders doing 1/3 damage per hit. No pickups.
    Or... I don't know, maybe spice things up with something Unrealish so that it wouldn't be just a straight port of the gametype.

What do you think?

how is it 3vs3 if there's only one offender?
    anyway, it doesn't sound too hard to create, except the part about capturing things, this probably requires new maps (or capture the DD or something =)
    EDIT: watched a video, now i get how it is 3vs3
    btw, game looks really nice

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to write that.

It's a round game. Every round there's 1 vs 3. The other 2 are watching. After the round (offender kills defenders or captures the pole, or the defenders defend the pole or kill the offender), the teams switch roles. So everyone gets a change to capture or defend.

I think at least 2 or 3 maps made specifically for the mode would be a better choice.

Comment

So is anyone interested in making this gametype mod? Because I know nothing about modding.

Comment

i don't know enough to do it

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Hi, i just found this thread while looking for SM which i got to play two days ago. I love UT, know bit of scripting and mapping and i really like your idea of porting that game mode.

I will start to write some code now to see if i can make it happen. Will post in WIP if i get anywhere.

Comment

As there are mods like "CTF everywhere" which create flag bases even on DM maps, I don't think that you would need extra maps.
                It does sound like a fun gametype though.

Comment

Just got the rocket launcher close to whats in SM (4 rounds, quick firing for spamming, no splash damage, 1 second recharge per round). Feels very much like shootmania already.

As for maps: yeah, i guess we would need maps for it. An alternative "hack" would be to just hide the opposite game objective in an existing gametype like DOM or CTF, so that if blue is defending, red flag is hidden, while blue flagstand is empty until it can be captured.

But i think it is better to just take a graphic element from ONS and just script around it (a node, for example). Mappers just need to place the modded object in a map.

EDIT: also the player swapping and attack/defense switch will be tricky.. I am not sure if i can do it all by myself. Lots of research ahead.
                  EDIT2: Just brought the Laser-Gun to the game (complete with charging bar like in SM). Yay.

Comment

Okay.. its getting somewhere, but i am stuck with the player swapping / sit-out thing.

I used UT2004 Assault as the base and it works very good (hud and everything). Proper weapons are given out based on attack or defend role. Game objective is a custom scripted Onslaught node with active/inactive state.

What i now need is to figure out how i can set the Attacking Team to only have 1 player while the rest are forced to spectate. This has to be decided on round change, without level restart or anything.

In a nutshell:
                    Defending Team may play with up to 3 players at a time (rest has to sit in spec)
                    Attacking Team may play with 1 player (chosen randomly at beginning of the round, rest is spec)

Anyone got an idea?
                    There was a rocket/sniper arena total conversion back in the days that had a lobby/hotseat system built-in, but i cant remember the name. I don't know where to look. Maybe it would help if i knew how to send someone into spectator to begin with. Then there must also be some sort of check that denies them from joining the active round, but the hardest part is currently to get the "1 vs all" ...

Comment

Figured it out. I already got pretty far so i made a demo video.

There is no commentary, so whats to note:

- Check the player health of attacker and defender.
                      - 4 points means you can be hit 4 times. Attackers have that much. Defenders die instantly if hit by attackers lightning.
                      - At the beginning it looks like the bot dies instantly but he just sat in a corner and 4 rockets got him.
                      - Rocket Launcher is capped at 4 rounds and recharges slowly, but in exchange the firerate is higher (quick spam, at a cost).
                      - Lightning Gun is a bit slower and displays 100, which means it is ready to shoot (as in 100%).
                      - Attacker is always lonely and picked randomly by the mod. Who is attacking is decided each round.
                      - The other team members have to "sit out" and cheer, wait, watch.
                      - When defending always all 3 players spawn and get a rocket launcher.
                      - A round is just 60 seconds and it can be over in less. It of course depends on the map and playstyle how fast the game is.

http://beta.xfire.com/videos/5ca93b

Next up is getting the gameobjective to work.

Comment

Originally posted by teh.m3nt0r View Post
                        Figured it out. I already got pretty far so i made a demo video.

There is no commentary, so whats to note:

- Check the player health of attacker and defender.
                        - 4 points means you can be hit 4 times. Attackers have that much. Defenders die instantly if hit by attackers lightning.
                        - At the beginning it looks like the bot dies instantly but he just sat in a corner and 4 rockets got him.
                        - Rocket Launcher is capped at 4 rounds and recharges slowly, but in exchange the firerate is higher (quick spam, at a cost).
                        - Lightning Gun is a bit slower and displays 100, which means it is ready to shoot (as in 100%).
                        - Attacker is always lonely and picked randomly by the mod. Who is attacking is decided each round.
                        - The other team members have to "sit out" and cheer, wait, watch.
                        - When defending always all 3 players spawn and get a rocket launcher.
                        - A round is just 60 seconds and it can be over in less. It of course depends on the map and playstyle how fast the game is.

http://beta.xfire.com/videos/5ca93b

Next up is getting the gameobjective to work.
                        This is awesome! I thought nobody would try and do this gametype. Looking forward to the final version!

Comment

Hi dojmin,

I have news again!

The game objective (pole to capture) has just been completed. It has 3 states: inactive, red and blue.

Example:
                          If blue is defending, the pole starts grey (inactive) and in the final seconds becomes the team color, blue, which means that the pole is active. If the attacker then jumps on it to capture, it will take on his color, which is red, so defenders can see and hear if the pole is under attack.

I made a short video showing it from 3rd person, 1st person and birds eye. If the size is good enough for UT movement is something we need to find out.. i will stick with shootmania measures until beta.

http://beta.xfire.com/video/5cb3ca

enjoy!

btw.. i think i will make a youtube channel for this, or playlist. the quality on xfire is horrible, but at least the ingame recording is for free

Comment

Very nice!

Youtube, yes! And you should definately create a page on www.moddb.com

Comment

Good idea. I've created a ModDB entry, now waiting for approval from admins. I've posted images and videos so i hope they will accept it quickly.

Here is a new video with a full 6-round match on youtube. Please activate the youtube Annotations feature because i added some text to the screen explaining whats going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCsN4tR3Pg

I will post the Mod Page as soon as it gets online.

Comment

Working...
                              X