Gametype idea: Every Man For Himself CTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gametype idea: Every Man For Himself CTF

Please link me if this has been done already, but I had an idea for a CTF gametype just now after playing "me vs the world" (4 on 4 CTF offline, but I treated it like a Deathmatch and just shot up everybody, whether they were on the red team or... not. lol.)

It would use stock CTF and VCTF maps, so hopefully it would be small and easy to do, like Defend the Leader.

Basically, you are not on a team, and you all start in one of the flag bases, and you all try to cap the flag from the other base, but the caps only count for you and not a team.

So let's use FaceClassic (Face) as an example.

You'd all start at whichever base you feel like coding it to be (lets say red.) Then you all try to make a scramble for the blue flag. Whoever caps it gets the point. Pretty easy, it's CTF with DM rules more or less.

Anybody interested in making this a reality?

What's wrong with random spawning in both bases, as long as the flag is on its base?

But more importantly, how would you do the scoring rules? Regular scoring for kills, medium score for picking up flag and killing flag carrier, big score for capping it? Possibly some minor score for carrying the flag part of the way? So many things to consider. You'll have to flesh this out more thoroughly.

Comment

And how will you survive spawning, if it's like DM? Long invincibility period?

Comment

Depending on how many players there are, it will just be a large meatgrinding at the spawning area without anyone ever getting the flag a notable distance away I think.

On the other hand, if you play this with few players and a map which has a large spawning area or far scattered spawnpoints, this could be interesting.

There is also a gametype that is somewhat similar but rewards players for holding a flag as long as possible.

Comment

Some points to pick or dismiss:

- Include all maps and have the game pick opposite locations for starting and ending positions.
          - Spawn with all weapons (LMS, TAM).
          - Leave ammo pickups.
          - Reset level between flag scores.
          - Handle camping at the base.
          - Spawning issues: Killfest with no pause--how to handle.
          - Spawn in front of destination base, from starting base, or behind destination base.
          - Give the carrier some advantage. Like mutant.

Comment

Originally posted by Baryonyx View Post
            scattered spawnpoints
            Maybe that would work better at the start. Could start off like invasion; give players some moments to get started before the flag is spawned somewhere.

Maybe a flag destination could appear somewhere random after holding the flag a while. Of course, an objective pointer would be helpful, but maybe it would only show for the carrier?

Comment

How about putting players on team-like groups, with players from the red group having to capture the blue flag and vice versa. Everyone is on their own when it comes to capturing the enemy flag. However, when it comes to defend the own flag, the entire group could be forced to cooperate to prevent a heavy score penalty resulting from someone on the other team capturing the flag. For example, if a red player makes a capture, every blue player has their score reduced by 10 points. To make frag fests at the spawn points less useful, killing players from the own group could be made a zero score event, unless they or you carry the enemy flag. In fact, in certain cases a "group kill" could be scored negatively, like team kills in TDM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                What's wrong with random spawning in both bases, as long as the flag is on its base?

But more importantly, how would you do the scoring rules? Regular scoring for kills, medium score for picking up flag and killing flag carrier, big score for capping it? Possibly some minor score for carrying the flag part of the way? So many things to consider. You'll have to flesh this out more thoroughly.
                Very well, that's what we're here for, isn't it? Let's brainstorm.

I kind of like the idea of not counting kills/score, and just having captures count. You can always F3 for your "score" if you really want to.

I'm not sure about the spawning in the flag base. It would be a large advantage to those who spawn there over those who have to traverse the whole thing.

I was thinking you spawned at one base, and have to go to the other to get the flag and then bring it back to where you started to get the capture. It's a good point about the "meat grinding" though. Maybe something like a 10 second invulnerability when you spawn, or something.

edit: I like the idea of no round resets too, just a continuing game.

Comment

In 1on1 Joust 10 seconds of invulnerability might be a problem

Comment

Damned exceptions to the rules! Fine, you could make it so the invulnerability wears off as soon as you fire or grab a flag, in the rare event that you're on crack and play on Joust. Which you must be, Sly, for mentioning it. Jeez.

Comment

Anyone remember that CTF on any map mutator? That would work well for this idea.

Comment

Map Converter. I have that one, I like it. Some maps work pretty well for CTF you wouldn't think would. I'm not sure that's quite what I want to go for or not though...

Comment

Hehehehehe...
                          Joust can be fun, Nemephosis!

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be better to have everyone start in the flag base with the flag you're trying to cap. Otherwise you're having to run all the way there, get the flag, and run all the way back. I like that idea better than my original.

Comment

Map Converter CTF (1.08)
                              http://unrealtournament2004.filefron...rter_CTF;46451

http://membres.multimania.fr/unrealm...nverterCTF.php
                              This mutator tries to convert any map to CTF map.
                              Tries to add CTF flags/bases in any map.
                              Hides or removes JB, BR, ONS and DOM goals, lights, etc.
                              Changes each playerstart team number if required.
                              Changes team number for vehicles, deco flag and other team related stuff.
                              Changes the AI for bots to be able to play in any map.
                              Adds a maplist configuration for all maps in the mutator menu.

Comment

Working...
                              X