Small request: Keep bots from using adrenaline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Not only does it not check, there is actually a setting you can check to attempt to force adrenaline into modes that don't use it.

Okay, well I very much appreciate you taking your time to look at this. Thanks very much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In UT1 you had full control over the mutator order, in UT2004 you have to deal with alphabetical order. But mutator order doesn't necessarily create the problem you have. There are other places than initialization to (re)enable adrenaline.
    In fact, it seems bots can activate combos even if adrenaline is disabled. All that's required is a full adrenaline counter. I suspect your other mutator simply increments adrenaline without checking whether the player is actually allowed to have it. No chance for me in that case.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    huh, is there a specific order they're loaded in? Alphabetically, perhaps? (lol, wouldn't it be something if the only fix needed was to make it come before the "AD" in "Advanced"? )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nemephosis View Post
    Yeah, I totally knew it mattered and deliberately withheld it, cause I'm just supercoder and all, and knew that and thought it would be good for a laugh. What a **** move.

Obviously I screwed up. I do apologize, I didn't know there were different ways to go about it.

The mutator I am using is Advanced Regeneration. I think I still have the zip file if anybody needs that.

Sorry again, Wormbo. Clearly I don't know this stuff.
    Was not supposed to come off condescending, just a hint that it's better to tell the full circumstances under which you plan to run a Mutator when you already know it.

Could be hard to cause the other Mutator not to change the stuff as you barely have any control about the order in which Mutators are loaded. So Wormbo's Mutator would have to make sure that it's loaded after the custom one, which is quite hard and maybe even barely possible (or just not worth the effort, dunno).

Alternatively he could maybe set the bots adrenaline back to 0 whenever the bot receives adrenaline, if such a hook is offered in script.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    It's always fun to restrict such potentially vital information until the stuff was coded and doesn't work.
    Yeah, I totally knew it mattered and deliberately withheld it, cause I'm just supercoder and all, and knew that and thought it would be good for a laugh. What a **** move.

Obviously I screwed up. I do apologize, I didn't know there were different ways to go about it.

The mutator I am using is Advanced Regeneration. I think I still have the zip file if anybody needs that.

Sorry again, Wormbo. Clearly I don't know this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Obviously my mutator has no chance if another mutator turns adrenaline back on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's always fun to restrict such potentially vital information until the stuff was coded and doesn't work.

Maybe your Mutator uses the same GroupName as Wormbo's ("Adrenaline"), though I rather doubt that.

This is Wormbo's:
    Code:
    class MutNoBotAdrenaline extends MutNoAdrenaline;

function bool IsRelevant(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant)
    {
    	if (AIController(Other) != None)
    		AIController(Other).bAdrenalineEnabled = false;
    	return Super(Mutator).IsRelevant(Other, bSuperRelevant);
    }
    And this is the parent class:
    Code:
    class MutNoAdrenaline extends Mutator;

function bool IsRelevant(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant)
    {
        if ( Other.IsA('AdrenalinePickup') )
        {
            bSuperRelevant = 0;
            return false;
        }
        if ( Controller(Other) != None )
            Controller(Other).bAdrenalineEnabled = false;
        return Super.IsRelevant(Other, bSuperRelevant);
    }
    Not much that could go wrong there, I guess. Though I have no idea what the IsRelevant() and bSuperRelevant is all about.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Wormbo! Very much appreciated. Must go test right now

edit: Hmm, nbope, it doesn't work, at least with the mutators I use...

I requested this because I have an ammo regeneration mutator, that also handles shields, health and adrenaline, if you want. I use that as my "infinite ammo" mutator because it's programmed properly and not by a stupid moron. I used the "regenerate adrenaline" option in order to pretty much have adrenaline on demand, but the downside it works for the bots too. Hence every time I see them, they've got that stupid invisible combo on. This mutator does not seem to curb that, like I had hoped it would. There must be different code for earning adrenaline and being given it or something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe because you knew how simple that mutator would be?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
    Why did I expect that?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    Are you sure? I remember that the Pawn class has a Visibility property and that the AI does not recognize something if it has Visibility of 0. Though I have no idea if the Invisibility combo actually does that.
    Maybe the bots don't see you but see you shooting or hear you running?
    They do know I am there if I shoot, but I've played online with my brother before, and have had to use the invisibility combo myself to get into their base (we play something like us two vs 6 bots. It's harder than you'd think.)

I'd always get picked apart by the snipers but when I use the invis combo, I'm fine as long as I don't fire, or else it's cover = blown.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sure whether this may be my imagination or not but I'm sure they have a worse accuracy when you use the invisibilty combo. On higher difficulties it's not as noticable as on lower ones I guess and I doubt anybody still plays on novice unless he is really a newcomer to the series or has no time to improve at all (or unless he plays just for fun and slaughters these novice bots).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Turbo K View Post
    Yeah the invisibility thing is annoying when playing bots since they can see you but you can't see them. Especially on TAM/Freon.
    Are you sure? I remember that the Pawn class has a Visibility property and that the AI does not recognize something if it has Visibility of 0. Though I have no idea if the Invisibility combo actually does that.
    Maybe the bots don't see you but see you shooting or hear you running?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, it does actually work on them in this game, at least that's what I find. But it is still annoying when they do it all the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X