Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing models into UT2004

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by StaffSgt View Post
    im happy , but can we get more powerarmor? i like the fallout 3 ones, enclave fallout2? is that what it is? and could we get hellfire from fallout 3?
    p.s. your first model is great its just there are lots like it.
    also sorry for all the reqeusts, i see ur talent and im just useing it lol......
    Actually, if we're gonna be technical about it

    there are only very few nice looking female models out there...most of them are like simple edits of existing ut2k4 models or whatnot

    and isn't that the enclave powerarmor? I could be wrong though as I only played fallout 3 and haven't finished the game yet

    Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    I am not really surprised anymore about some people's dreamy view on the life. It is NOT ok to just take stuff as long as you mention where it comes from.

    Most of the IP holders don't like the idea of free advertising (that they never agreed to) at all and are more than likely to give you a cease and desist or worse.
    "What if people would rather not buy the advertised stuff because they already got something of it out here for free?" That is only one reason that IP holders could have for disallowing it.


    I don't know about the UT2k4 EULA, but the UDK terms strictly forbid the use of any third-party IP without explicit permission, even if the game is distributed without revenue. I don't see a reason why Epic should be less worried about this stuff happening in UT2k4.
    yeah this was my real concern actually, legal issues and the like

    which is why for the menace model I emailed the authors( it was a mix of several models) if they were ok about me using it. But like I said, if said author is japanese, it's kinda hard to get them to answer :/

    Originally posted by arbee View Post
    It doesn't get much more than Hide's Eris series and those Fallen Angles. Xenoaisam's are creepy ugly.


    There are more than enough catgirls though. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.
    the eris series is actually good for it's time, lookwise anyway

    of course, if you compare something made with like 700-1k polygons as to 4-5k polygons(the menace model), it's kinda of a mismatch

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
      [...]
      Most of the IP holders don't like the idea of free advertising (that they never agreed to) at all and are more than likely to give you a cease and desist or worse.
      "What if people would rather not buy the advertised stuff because they already got something of it out here for free?" That is only one reason that IP holders could have for disallowing it.
      [...]
      I get your point. But is there a way to definitely prove if a model is remade or just taken from somewhere? I mean, the authors from "Blue Vixen" and "Angry Man" never got into trouble.
      Besides, I think there is a Fallout Powersuit model already. I think it was for UT2003.

      Comment


        #18
        someone beat me to it?

        boo

        >=(

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Barionyx View Post
          I get your point. But is there a way to definitely prove if a model is remade or just taken from somewhere? I mean, the authors from "Blue Vixen" and "Angry Man" never got into trouble.
          Besides, I think there is a Fallout Powersuit model already. I think it was for UT2003.
          It's not about if you remade a model or not, it's about if it's a clearly recognizable intellectual property you are making. No one can blame you if you just model some mech gear that resembles a mech in some mech game.

          But if you remodel stuff like Super Mario or Lara Croft, then that's a clearly recognizable IP that an unbiased expert witness could identify as such and you could be sued.
          A bunch of modders also made a Halo mod for C&C Generals called Halogen where they remodeled the recognizable vehicles and units of the Halo universe. When they were almost ready to release it, they got a nice letter from Electronic Arts with a cease and desist. They were lucky that they just lost the work of some months and didn't need to pay any compensation.

          Of course it's a rare case and a kind of gray zone, but I wouldn't do such stuff anyway because I, as a game developer myself, would not want other people to steal the results of my work either.
          All given that you in fact remodeled it, because a ripped model is even worse in my eyes, not only from a legal point of view but also from conscience and honor.
          And "others did it already and they didn't get any problems" is never a good excuse. If they'd jump from a bridge… you know the idiom.


          Using stuff from other parts of the UT series is fine because Epic allowed that in their EULA, but anything else would be taboo for me without explicit permission.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
            A bunch of modders also made a Halo mod for C&C Generals called Halogen where they remodeled the recognizable vehicles and units of the Halo universe. When they were almost ready to release it, they got a nice letter from Electronic Arts with a cease and desist. They were lucky that they just lost the work of some months and didn't need to pay any compensation.
            o yeah? well guess what? its ok, because theres a new one out, and they have rights to do so :P lol, because bungie lifted a copyright oreder, but still,lol.


            and budboy, yes thats an enclave powerarmor, but its a remake from fallout 1or2

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by StaffSgt View Post
              o yeah? well guess what? its ok, because theres a new one out, and they have rights to do so :P lol, because bungie lifted a copyright oreder, but still,lol.
              Do you have any link to show that or wanna continue embarrassing yourself with loling? Because all I found on Google was that Bungie stopped the mod and that it was never continued. Later they renamed it to Asylum, converted it to C&C 3 but also changed the setting a lot to not get any more problems with Bungie. So the only reason it was "ok" is that it wasn't using the Halo IP anymore.

              Comment


                #22
                The only time i've ever seen a cease & desist on anything player model related was Marvel Sims skins.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
                  Do you have any link to show that or wanna continue embarrassing yourself with loling? Because all I found on Google was that Bungie stopped the mod and that it was never continued. Later they renamed it to Asylum, converted it to C&C 3 but also changed the setting a lot to not get any more problems with Bungie. So the only reason it was "ok" is that it wasn't using the Halo IP anymore.
                  look it up on moddb there bro ham, theres a new one out, ll find it and edit this later. exact same stuff but new team and mod. dont tell me what i do know. there bud just cus you cant find it in google (noob) doesnt mean its not there. do some browsing and maybe you will find something!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    so any news here? any more models?

                    Comment


                      #25
                      CUrrently I do not have the time to do more importing at the moment due to work, unfortunately

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Mmmk take your time there bro, we got all the time in the world.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by StaffSgt View Post
                          [...] we got all the time in the world.
                          No, actually we only got a maximum of 95 years to do what we want.
                          (Taking 110 as the maximum, with 10 years to grow up and 5 that you keep lying in bed at the very end)

                          Comment


                            #28
                            lol ok, you make a solid point, and im at a random time, Army deploy date sometme this summer lol.....

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X