Death Animation mutators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Animation mutators

Could one of you guys make a mutator that makes a character's death 50% of the unused death animations and 50% ragdolls?

Also, could a mutator that makes your view stick to your character's head in first-person instead of third person when you die?

The only thing I know of is the mod Jurassic rage (which sadly died as it seems) which had a first person death cam.

Comment

I have a "sortof" firstperson death cam view in my YARM mod, but it required a custom playercontroller. Since the camera calculation functions are all in either PlayerController class or the pawn, you'd have a hard time doing this without creating custom one of those...but there may be another way.

(this is just an untested suggestion that should be able to prevent any compatibility issues with other mods) You could spawn two dummy actors, one would be a ragdoll/pawn dummy actor. It would either play a death animation or go ragdoll based on a quick check upon spawning (all it would need is a quick reference to the original player's pawn in order to collect all of the correct skins, mesh, and animation info). Then spawn another invisible dummy actor that would be attached to the headbone of the dummy pawn/ragdoll and you would set this actor as the PlayerController's viewtarget (see the playerCalcView function, specifically follow the code as if the viewtarget was NOT a pawn, the playercontroller itself, or a projectile) using the SetViewTarget (its up to you to figure out how to swap back...)

Comment

I think the Soul's Fury mod uses some of the old death animations. It's a pretty big mod, though, so you might want to ask the author instead of downloading it.

Comment

Honestly, I was always dreaming of a mutator that plays the death animation to 50% and since that point it becomes a ragdoll but I'm not really into demanding things from others without "giving something back"... Would give you that kind of classic UT feel with the player camera in 1st person. All these things I always wanted to have but was too ashamed to ask for

Comment

UT3 has that "half animation / half ragdoll" thing aswell right? Maybe some time in the future somebody can look into the code which does that and port it.

Comment

UT3 have half-ragdoll animation only for stinger- and headshot-deaths

Comment

Yeah, but I meant that one could take the base code of that to make it possible with normal deaths aswell.

Comment

HellDragon is also interested in a mod like this (as am I, actually) and gave me an idea about how it could be done. Honestly, it should be easy to do: create a mutator that hooks up with PreventDeath, then prevent it long enough to play the death animation (if there is one) and then make the pawn die normally. The only downside of this is that bots could get confused and you have to change the players' collision and probably physics to make sure they don't interact with the environment as normal players do. Since I am too busy to do that, it would be nice if one of you guys could take that request for everyone in this thread.

Comment

The code for UT3-style animated ragdoll deaths is incredibly simple: Play the animation on death, wait a bit, then switch to ragdoll mode. Since "Dead" is a separate Pawn state, that shouldn't be much work, provided you actually replace the Pawn class, which in turn is problematic and won't be compatible to popular mods like UTComp and 3SPN (TAM/Freon).

Comment

Again, you can hook on to PreventDeath() so you don't have to use custom pawns. You can do a Pawn.PlayAnim() from there easily.

Comment

Except that the Pawn technically is still alive during PreventDeath(), and may continue to live on for a long time even after that. It's called PreventDeath for a reason.

Comment

...and that's why I said that you need to do things like disable its collision and physics. It's still better than making a custom pawn, and that's how a few mods did that in UT2003.

Comment

Additionally, PreventDeath happens on the server, ragdoll and death animations would have to happen on the client. In other words, server-side logic would rely on replication. The Pawn, however, "tears off" replication when it dies. On the dedicated server it will exist for 2 seconds and then disappear, on the client it will do the ragdoll stuff. I doubt there's a reasonable way to implement UT3-style deaths without replacing the Pawn.

Comment

The server could call a client function. Of course, that would mean delays online, but it would work perfectly well offline.

Comment

Working...
                              X