Assault map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assault map

I am currently working on an assault map. The general theme is planned out but I am having trouble thinking up creative objectives. Is there anything someone would like to see in an assault map that would be unique?

Depends on what kind of a map that is.

Comment

The first part of it is inside of a spaceship, the rest of it takes place in a jungle/forest. It would be all non vehicle objectives.

Comment

There's a lot that can be done in a jungle... lowering a bridge (or even create a brigde by cutting a tree next to a chasm), getting to a temple, moving a magical crystal from that temple to somewhere else, establishing an outpost,... the list is nearly endless.
        It also depends on if you want the story to be epic or maybe funny (transport the sacred rice cookie!) or a mixture.

Comment

There's also a lot you can do on a spaceship.
          Personally I'd like to see a spaceship in the style of the Gateway map in Unreal 1 (I hope you know it) where you could see these cool portals. Maybe you should make such a spaceship with one big portal in the centre which leads to the jungle. The portal would be closed and you have to go to 4 consoles and open all 4 parts of the gateway to be able to enter the portal (after the 4 locks of the gate are opened the gate will open and the portal will be revealed) and then you can see a fluid surface with an image of the jungle on it (a shader with an image of silver with a cubemap of the jungle maybe?).

Comment

As if there are no other possiblities for portals than stargate-like ones...
            But you are right, those are always cool-looking

As always in space-ships, you can let the players activate switches, turn on/off certain engines/power supplies, open doors, destroy something important, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Barionyx View Post
              As if there are no other possiblities for portals than stargate-like ones...
              It's not like you could map a Star Trek transporter effect :P

Comment

You really inspired me to make a similar map with a strong reference to Unreal (since you inspired me a lot to do one I'll put you in the credits) lol
                Thanks! I really ran out of inspiration in the last time and I also wanted to make an Assault map with 2 different locations
                When did I work on maps for UT2k4 for the last time? I think this was 6 months ago... wow.. Time to do that again!

@Barionyx: That's true This Star Gate effect looks always nice

@GreatEmerald: Star Trek transporter effect sounds very familiar to me as well
                *hint*ISV-Kran Deck 1 -> Spire Village*hint*

Unreal was inspired by so many movies and series...

Comment

The jungle bridge objective sounds good. Maybe I can figure out a way to make it so you have to cut down trees to construct a bridge to cross a river.

The spaceship part of it is going to be somewhat like a cross between AS-Mothership and OSM-UseofWeapons with a Skaarj and human ships colliding with each other and you having to fight your way to the escape pods.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                    *hint*ISV-Kran Deck 1 -> Spire Village*hint*
                    Yes, that was the closest it could get, but if you want a real transporter effect, then you have to change the user's skin and add some particles. Might be an interesting mod/utility though.

Comment

Would fit well into the ONSspecials imo. The skin which could be used for that could be this green, strange looking texture you can see when a corpse dissapears. Maybe instead of just a normal character with a texture change, why not a ragdoll with the same model that starts floating and dissapears shortly after? This in combination with a green beam emitter could look cool. But I guess it would be a pretty difficult task for a scripter...

But now back on topic:
                      Originally posted by Turbo K
                      [...]a Skaarj and human ships colliding with each other and you having to fight your way to the escape pods.
                      You have no idea how familiar this sounded to me
                      Somehow I had the strange feeling that you were going to choose such a "story"
                      You have the same idea for your AS-map as I had for the beginning of my SP Framework storyline lol
                      You're part of the crew on a spaceship of the Inuit corporation and you're supposed to find the wreck of the ISV-Kran (just a few months after they found the Vortex Rikers on the planet) and because of the Tarydium's strong megnethic field the spaceship's technology acts up and they don't notice that a Skaarj patrol is coming closer. The Skaarj notice the human ship and attack it and finally enter it to kill the whole crew (some of them could escape in escape capsules). When you saw that they were way superior you could hide and survive. The ship is greatly damaged, hallways "explode" and the ship is going to crash on Na Pali because it got too close to the planet (like every other ship before). You have to reach the capsules to get out of it. Then you land on one of the jungle areas of Na Pali, proceed to a Nali Castle, reach a small village.. well, I won't tell more You'll see what I mean when it's done.

However, I couldn't add all my ideas into this storyline (since they just wouldn't fit) and you somehow inspired me to make an AS-map with these unfitting ideas and even a few new ones

@the tree-bridge: Just make it a shoot objective with let's say 2000hp. When you destroy it it falls and creates a bridge.

Comment

My storyline isn't that complex.

For the tree bridge objective I have two clumps of trees that fly down to create the bridge when you stand next to each one. The destroyable tree one sounds good though. I will have to incorporate it somehow.

Comment

Working...
                        X