Controlled Random Weapon Swapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlled Random Weapon Swapping

I know of quite a few mutators that swap weapons (a few I haven't used for a long time, so i may have forgotten some features) and there's the random weapon swapper that can switch any weapon in a map for any other in a list of weapons. The problem with the normal random swapper is that it can destroy gameplay balance and make some levels nearly unplayable, since every weapon on the list is considered.

What I have in mind is a Controlled random weapon swapper. What it would do is allow you (or a server admin) to configure a set of potential weapons for each slot. For example, for the RL slot, sometimes you'd have the normal rocket launcher, or a replacement, like the mercury launcher. This would allow for some variety in weapon choices, but not completely break gameplay. It would also be nice if you could assign a likelihood to each weapon, either by listing it multiple times (RL, RL, RL, Mercury for RL 75% of the time and 25% mercury) or by assigning a priority or percentage value.

Another way to go about it would be random weapon "sets" (like the old-school Perfect Dark.) So randomly you'd get different configured sets of weapons that are balanced together (or random arena weapons) that might not work well with other sets.

But I'm not much of a coder. Does anyone know of something like this or might be willing to attempt this, even in a simple form?

I am already using it in the form of MapMixer. It allows you to select random mutators on every match depending on the percentage you input. Since most weapon packs come with a dedicated mutator, it makes every match balanced and unified in style yet provide enough randomness to keep the game fresh.

Comment

Well that would sort of do it, I've used mapmixer before offline, but I don't know how it would behave online. For my purposes (Invasion) I'd really need the more subtle changes of the first mode I mentioned. Still thanks for the reply.

Comment

From what I know, it works online just as well. Hence "Admin menu".

Comment

Ballistic weapons uses a quite similar system, you could even make it use other custom weapons and the original ones instead of the ballistic ones (If I remember right).

Comment

Don't the Chaotic Weapons also use a similar system?

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo K View Post
              Don't the Chaotic Weapons also use a similar system?

Chaos warps between chaos and normal weapons during the course of a map. Won't work well for an RPG server though. What I'm looking for change the weapons just once during a map.

Ballistic weapons uses a quite similar system, you could even make it use other custom weapons and the original ones instead of the ballistic ones (If I remember right).
              I haven't tried that one. So it *does* allow random weapon variation?

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                [...] So it *does* allow random weapon variation?
                Pretty random I guess. At least I was never able to find a specific pattern or something like that.
                You can specify what weapons you want to have in the rotation and of course which "weapon slot" they will replace. That's what you wanted, right?

Comment

Working...
                X