No announcement yet.

how to edit ut characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He looks almost like Xan Mk2. You could simply edit the skin a bit and put two pipes on his back. He already has two but they were on the same height and spread a bit and then you'd have Xan Mk2

Comment

Xan has friends? Doesn't matter how you phrase it, it sounds silly. I'd go with something saying Xan has a modular design, and removing the pipes changes his combat abilities.. Like he has less endurance (over heats without the exhaust ports) but can sprint faster because he's lighter or something, and change his bot attributes accordingly.

Comment

well i guess your right ill try and think of a better bio

Comment

out of courieosity whats the status on the modified xan?

Comment

also whats a good program that can open a utx file

Comment

What's the status of the edit button? (Hint: Don't reply to yourself, edit your posts)

I'll upload that texture for you sometime today, probably.
              UnrealEd opens utx files. A utx is a package that contains textures, not unlike a zip file. If you mean editing the textures in a utx file, you export the textures using unrealed and use an editor like photoshop or gimp. Some textures export in the dds (direct draw surface) format, there's a photoshop plugin for that.

Comment

Open UEd, export the texture from the utx package (or take a screenshot while the textures are not scaled - set texture scale to 100% in the texture browser) and edit it in Photoshop or Paint.Net. (I'd rather recommend PS)

Comment

yeah sorry i keep forgeting to do that i also understand that this type of stuff may be tricky you can take your time

its been a long time how hard is this stuff anyway? do you have to open the model file then erase those pipes or is it like a material file?

Comment

Originally posted by gultron View Post
                    yeah sorry i keep forgeting to do that i also understand that this type of stuff may be tricky you can take your time

its been a long time how hard is this stuff anyway? do you have to open the model file then erase those pipes or is it like a material file?
                    Sorry i forgot about it, i'll upload for you in a bit. And it's a "material" file, pretty easy to edit.

EDIT:
                    http://www.filefront.com/17589701/XanKriegorNoPipes.zip

Includes basic pipeless Xan and Axon skins, as well as a dds file with alpha transparency. I wasn't able to get the opacity perfect, but it's pretty close.

Comment

thanks jefe ill see if i can try and make the skin now but who knows how long it'll take.

oooh this gimp tool and plugin works but im not used to it how do i change colour of certien bits and can it be done by copying and pasting another dds such as the thing im i got my inspartion of

Comment

I've never used gimp, I use photoshop. I assume they have similar capabilities though. There are several techniques I use to selectively change color on parts of skins:

1: Create a new layer. Carefully paint over the parts you want to change with a basic color. You can use this new layer to adjust the color or saturation of the painted parts.

2: Use the adjust color/hue/saturation/selective color tools. These are easy to do, but rarely provide adequate results on their own. Usually i duplicate the base layer and adjust color on several layers (each layer having partial opacity) when using this technique.

3: Use the extraction tool to extract the parts you want to edit. Sometimes extracting the parts you want can be time consuming, but the results usually look great. You can then use technique 1 or 2 on the extracted bit.

4: If you're having trouble understanding the layout of a skin, use Upaint to paint over the parts you want to change. I mainly use this technique when a skin is confusingly uvwrapped. You'll need a psk file for custom models. (See my posts here.) You can also load the animation file (.ukx) in unreal ed, and apply your skin to get a good view.

In all cases you want to use multiple layers, and it's always a good idea to keep an unmodified base layer to go back to.

Comment

right its simple as it looks the reskin has parts rubbed out what seems to be the problem is i cant get it on another skin

Comment

What do you mean by getting it on another skin? Doing the same thing ("deleting" parts of the skin to get rid of them) with other skins?

Comment

Originally posted by gultron View Post
                              right its simple as it looks the reskin has parts rubbed out what seems to be the problem is i cant get it on another skin
                              Try the readme I wrote for you. I wrote instructions on how to use it.

Comment

oh right now i understand not sure how long this will take though

Comment

Working...
                                X