how to edit ut characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to edit ut characters

im trying to edit xan kriegor by taking away those pipes and giving him a new colour scheme anyone know how to do that?

Hey, gultron.

You need Blender, Milkshape, Max or any other 3D program that can import or export UT files. I edit characters in Blender but had no time to rig my first character. Also some textures are missing or misplaced yet. The easiest way to "export" the mesh without any special add-on is to convert it into a static mesh (like I did with Dante). Just set a pawn into a new map and open its properties window. Then search for "Display" and set the Mesh to the current one you have selected. Go to the animation browser and search for the Xan mesh (note: it's not called Xan and iIrc it's not in the package where you can find all the other robots). Then just use it and change the skin (should be in the Display options as well).
    Now right-click on "Xan" in this map and a menu will pop up. Go to: Convert to -> Static Mesh. As a package you set "myLevel" (without "s) and as a group whatever you want. Then give the static mesh a name and set it into your map. Now select it and delete the rest of the map and now you can export your map file. Now you can open it with Blender and edit it. Seems difficult but it isn't.
    The rigging can be very confusing and difficult but the editing isn't.
    It's quite a lot of work though and you will need to do various other things to make it a playable character.
    My first character I want to make is Dante. He's my favorite Unreal 1 character that's why I made him
    I also thought about remaking Xan mk1 after this one.

Comment

does unreal editor v3.0 count as one of them?

Comment

Sadly no. It's better to do it in such a program like Max or Blender. Btw, Blender is freeware. You should give it a try The use is very easy as if you would use the terrain tool in UEd3 just that you do it on a whole 3D model not just a shape. Long live Blender's "Sculpt Mode"

Comment

If that's all you want to change, just taking those pipes off, that can be done with texture editing... you'd just make an alpha layer where it's 100% transparent on those pipes.

Here's a tutorial to get you started:
          http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=190160

Comment

But wouldn't these "invisible parts" throw a shadow on the mesh?
            I'd like to know this. Then I can remove a few unnecessary armor parts on Dante this way without a lot of work

Comment

I did a quick test to see how it would look with the pipes removed using transparency:

There are a few spots where the transparency isn't perfect, I'll try to clean those up, and I'll upload the texture so you can try making a skin with it, Gultron. @Sly I dunno if the mesh will cast a shadow or not. It would only cast a shadow on the ground, not on the mesh itself. You can try it out when I upload the texture.

Regarding the other character and whether you can remove parts, it just depends on how the mesh is put together. I've seen a few other models done like this, with parts removed/added with transparency. In this case, the model was put together where it worked, and there were underlying textured areas. If you try this with your Dante, it might leave visible holes in the mesh.

Comment

thanks jefe that was usefull and ive downloaded a xan reskin iron guard pipes were gone but i could still see bits of its outline

Comment

right i got the skin still has those pipes but 25% is cloured blue such as the shoulder pads and legs

Comment

or i could us that skin and change eye colour and armor

Comment

heres what im trying to remake if you noticed ive edited the name and bio

Comment

Quick fix for the bio then based on what I see:
                        Altro is known to be great friend with former champion Xan. This cybernetic being is a powerful opponent...

Based on my knowledge of English, I'd also rather suggest: "be a (very) good friend of former".
                        Help from a native speaker welcome I guess.

Comment

ok i never thought about that ill see what i can do

Comment

I'm not a native English speaker but I'd suggest this:
                            "Altro is known to be a great friend of the former Tournament champion Xan Kriegor. This cybernetic being is a powerful opponent..."

Comment

good thats the name and bio sorted now its just the model and skin

Comment

Working...
                              X