help making a better grenade launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help making a better grenade launcher

throwing this out there to ask if anyone would like to assist in making a new weapon for a custom map(s)?

The weapon I have in mind is a grenade launcher that functions like grenades in other games do: throw a grenade it bounces a bit and explodes causing major damage, or maybe kill, anyone within radius (this would be a non sticky grenade). I am unsure on the radius but I do know that it should be a bigger damage radius than the stock grenade launcher and grenades from the assault rifle.

The idea I have would be to tweak the assault rifle grenades but the stock trajectory of these grenades wouldnt work for what I'm looking for. There needs to be more of the ability to throw grenades farther and higher distances. How you can throw flak balls and spider mines might be comparable. The map I am working on has multiple levels at different heights of Z axis, I want to be able to throw grenades into sniper perches or flush out players shooting from behind stuff

Ammo limit of grenades would be 3, maybe.

I could and will work on this myself but I'm not the best at scripting. Plus if someone wanted to help with this I could focus more on the map itself. The map will be an Onslaught map with no vehicles that is designed more like a DM map with alot of possibilities for trick jumps: lift jumps, wall dodges to get to some areas, jump pad trickery Current map progress: 30-40% complete.

The new weapon would be embedded in the map and full credit would be given to the creator

Maybe you should ask Angel Mapper. She made the (un)holy handgranade which acts like what you want to have (but there is no weapon model, just the granade and it's as mighty as the Redeemer).

Comment

Are either of these close to what you're hoping to achieve?

ArkonWeapons: combat mortar
      http://unrealtournament2004.filefron...rkon2004;26848
      has a hokey "shock ball" report that you'll prob want to change
      but uses stock flakGun staticMesh and has a nice flat trajectory
      (I can't recall whether it has a chargebar to adjust the throwing distance)

ArmyWeapons: frag grenade
      http://unrealtournament2004.filefron..._Weapons;18181
      this gives a VERY nice report (and ground shake)
      has a fairly long (well, it seems long) timed delay until explosion.
      I'm guessing you might like this one just like it is (without further modification).

Comment

Sounds similar to the UC2 grenade launcher. Look up "UC2 GDC " on YouTube and you should find a "tech demo" (or something) where they show how all the UC2 weapons worked. I think you'll like it.

Comment

Or the grenade in the Ballistic Weapons.. it's not like nobody would have done a grenade before, so you can simply take a look at those codes (or take the thing as a whole to be used in the map, though Ballistic Weapons probably requires the whole mod due to different fire mode support and so on ).

Comment

Unreal II also has a nice grenade launcher.

Comment

Unreal 1 as well. Think of the Terran Granade Launcher. You can shoot regular granades (which bounce and explode after I think 3 seconds) or you shoot a granade with the AltFire and make it explode with AltFire.

Comment

Ballistics mod has beautiful grenades, but its codebase is a pig to sift through. I wouldn't wish that chore on anyone.
                Okay, well maybe that would be a good chore for Crusha, since he mentioned Ballistics...

Comment

IMO the RTNP Grenade Launcher was pretty useless. Well, as useless as the GL in UT2004. It worked, but only occasionally, and usually like a mine layer, or by spamming alt fire to make them explode as soon as possible. And primary fire never worked, since who in their right mind would stay in the same spot for three seconds after being shot at?..

Comment

When you touched it it exploded. It was useful for escapes (if a Skaarj has been hunting you). And it is also useful when you get used to it. You just have to know when to make them explode or when you have to shoot them to hit someone. Just timing.

Oh and UT2k4 GL useless? I had a Double Kill in the Community Tournament I spammed my Manta with granades at the front, flew to the node, jumped out of it when the node was under attack and have been fighting two of you. Then I switched to the GL and make them explode. The result was that the Manta flew right into my direction and roadkilled both. I just had to doublejump. (I hope you can see this in the Torlan demo..)

That was awesome...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      It worked, but only occasionally
                      You missed this part It does work, but only under certain circumstances.

Comment

thanks to all for the suggestions Unfortunately I bot pathed the map I was working on today and while the layout seems interesting enough it doesnt work so well with the gameplay I was after. It is utterly spamtastic with 32 bots (online play is the aim) and would be 10X more spammy with custom grenades Progress on this map bumped down to 10%..

It plays like a Team Fortress 2 Control Point map as it is now. I pretty much cant stand anything about TF2....

Comment

Originally posted by Sanch3z View Post
                          I pretty much cant stand anything about TF2....
                          That makes it two, then

Comment

Adjust airspeed to make projectiles fly faster (and thus further).
                            Adjust tossZ to make projectiles aim higher.
                            DamageRadius=220 is default splash radius for rockets (and a lot of other stuff).

Comment

Working...
                            X