Ports from UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ports from UT3?

Has anyone tried and port anything from UT3 to UT2004 yet? Anything works?
    If not, anyone would be interested in things like that? Would be nice to see UT3 Hellbender/Scorpion in UT2004. Actually, I think I could remake the vehicle behaviour quite easily (for the start, Hellbender could have 2 seats with driver having skymines, Scorpion could shoot flak shells and have a boost option), but porting the meshes is the main downside...

Also, for the real UT3 vehicle feel, make the vehicles almost totally immune to knockback.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Has anyone tried and port anything from UT3 to UT2004 yet? Anything works?
      If not, anyone would be interested in things like that? Would be nice to see UT3 Hellbender/Scorpion in UT2004. Actually, I think I could remake the vehicle behaviour quite easily (for the start, Hellbender could have 2 seats with driver having skymines, Scorpion could shoot flak shells and have a boost option), but porting the meshes is the main downside...
      I have already recreated the UT3 vehicle behavior for the Hellbender and the Scorpion. These vehicles are featured in ONS-2Tricky-DW (running on the Clan Death Warrant Spam Vikings 32p Onslaught server).

The EONS Hellbender driver controls the skymines. Secondary seat controls the twin beams (traditional UT2004 style twin beams behavior was retained since I like it better). The EONS Hellbender also retains the third seat, but this is purely for player ferrying purposes (no weapon assigned).

The EONS Scorpion shoots plasma bolts that behave much like the flaming tires the UT3 Scorpion shoots. However, instead of defying the laws of physics and totally changing course if nearby to a hovering or flying vehicle, the plasma bolts shoot out a jolt of energy that damages these vehicles. The secondary fire of the Scorpion activates the boost functionality. Pressing the secondary fire again while boosting primes the detonation device - If the EONS Scorpion strikes anything while the explosive device is primed, the EONS Scorpion will eject the driver and explode.

Feel free to check these vehicles out on Spam Vikings. I do have one request though, and that is, do not use these vehicles yet in any custom maps. I am working on a new version of this map which cleans up a few small errors for custom items contained therein. The new version is also going to feature an EMP Mine deployable (ala UT3). I am most likely going to make the new map version available on these forums, so keep an eye out.

Comment

Hmm... I don't like the sound of that, it's not UT3ish enough... And it should be in a usual .U file instead of MyLeveling it. Yet that's a start, I could make it more to the UT3 side once you're finished, of course, if you don't mind

Basically, to port over the whole UT3, we need:
        1. Vehicle behaviour: already discussed and possible
        2. Vehicle, weapon and ammo meshes: anyone tried extracting those?
        3. The "distort" effect: probably not possible, and UT2004 is good without it
        4. The particles: Anyone tried extracting those and how do they work anyway?
        5. The movement: UT2004 is cool with UT2004 movement!
        6. Special gametypes: Well, that basically means Warfare, and it should be ported over. Yet that would need some coding.
        7. Maps: There already are a few converted maps, so we won't even need to worry about that
        8. Powerups: Adrenaline is better, there's no reason to be bothered with these.
        9. Weapons: UT2004 weapons are good enough too, although porting the functionality from UT3 would be nice. And especially the meshes!
        10. HUD and UI: I'm 100% sure that no one wants that.
        11. AI: Would be good to remake it for UT2004, but as with Gametypes, that would need quite a lot of coding.
        12. Sounds: Anyone tried extracting them too? That would be very nice! Personally I like some of UT3 sounds more, like Hellbender's skymines', yet some are awful, like Goliaths', maybe we could make the sounds selectable?

Anything else that's missing? Going to try out UT3 maps for UT2004, and possibly post the results

By the way, if anyone know the exact names of UT3 converted maps, post it here! It seems that VCTF-Suspense is currently called VCTF-Suspense2K4-Beta6.

Comment

That would be a nice idea, yet I do have a few notes to say.

5. Modifiying the movement is simply creating a new pawn, but why modify since most maps are made for the aerobic movement.
          9. It will be simple to change the UT2004's weapon values to be similar to UT3, but the dual weapons system used in the [weak] assault rifle, lacks the actual feeling of "dual welding".
          10. XD
          11. Wish that is nice, since UT2004's AI is, in my opinion, subpar.
          12. Extracting the sounds from UT3 is difficult, because the game's packages are "cooked". It is possible to get the sounds by an audio recorder, but it is annoying for me that it takes two minutes to load the editor, which is where I can get the resources.

(For the fun note, my weapons and vehicles used UT3 sounds instead of the weak UT2k4. )

[Yes I did insult the assault rifle ]

Comment

Hmm, if there's a tool for extracting music, there must be a tool for extracting sounds as well! Have to ask the almighty Google

Tested VCTF-Suspense2K4-Beta6. PERFECT!! Well, almost. Just change the music, a few minor glitches in rendering and sound, add EAX support, remove the strange vehicles and add the UT3 ones, add a Minigun pickup instead of the Shock Rifle in bases, add a Rocket Launchers instead of Shock Rifles in the middle and then it will be EXCELLENT!!! Anyone know the creator? Jeffrey?

By the way, are there any ways to tell what packages I need for a map if I can't run it? It crashes faster than displays what's missing, the "runtime error".

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Hmm... I don't like the sound of that, it's not UT3ish enough... And it should be in a usual .U file instead of MyLeveling it. Yet that's a start, I could make it more to the UT3 side once you're finished, of course, if you don't mind

Well, you're free to think it's not UT3ish enough. My goal in creating those vehicles was not to absolutely recreate the UT3 vehicles from scratch (exact recreation is impossible given that UT3 uses PhysX and UT2004 uses Karma), but rather to bring the good features extant in UT3 versions of these vehicles to UT2004. Things like UT3's Scorpion quad-barrel turret shooting out a single basketball-sized projectile are clearly nonsense and deserve to be left in the trash bin.

And, yes, at this time I would mind if you made any modifications to the vehicles.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald
              Basically, to port over the whole UT3, we need:
              2. Vehicle, weapon and ammo meshes: anyone tried extracting those?
              I made a thread about this a few weeks ago. I have them, but in order to bring them into UT2004 as anything other than static meshes they need to have bones added to them, and necessary animations (if any) need to be created. No one here seems to have the knowledge to do this, and I don't have the time.

Comment

Well, you're free to think it's not UT3ish enough. My goal in creating those vehicles was not to absolutely recreate the UT3 vehicles from scratch (exact recreation is impossible given that UT3 uses PhysX and UT2004 uses Karma), but rather to bring the good features extant in UT3 versions of these vehicles to UT2004. Things like UT3's Scorpion quad-barrel turret shooting out a single basketball-sized projectile are clearly nonsense and deserve to be left in the trash bin.
                Well, I want them as close to the UT3 vehicles as possible in the terms of behaviour. It doesn't matter if those things are logical or not - what, the quad barrel can emit energy that condensates just as it leaves the barrel and then fly away as soon as the energy supply stops - quite a logical explanation. And as it's energy, it is attracted by electricity, that's why it flies towards mantas.

And, yes, at this time I would mind if you made any modifications to the vehicles.
                Sure, you missed the part "once you're finished"

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago. I have them, but in order to bring them into UT2004 as anything other than static meshes they need to have bones added to them, and necessary animations (if any) need to be created. No one here seems to have the knowledge to do this, and I don't have the time.
                Static meshes are fine for the start. With them, we could already get weapon and ammo pickup display. As for bones, well I did watch a few tutorials on adding bones so I guess I could try and do something. Care to share the meshes?

Comment

Hmm, I can't say I like the manta... And the super adrenaline is an original thought, actually I could make a real Berserk powerup, but it will use up all the adrenaline.
                  And no, I don't know about other maps, but ones with familiar names are CTF-Shangri-La (no idea why CTF, doesn't run), WAR-Torlan (doesn't run too, why does it have WAR in front of it anyway?), CTF-FacingWorlds (doesn't run as well, probably coincidence), VCTF-Sandstorm (from the names I can't seem to find if it's converted or not, but the VCTF-Sandstorm-NEW is not the one you need).

Comment

Perhaps you guys could start off small? I would like to see the UT3 pickups into UT2004, things like health, shield(the separate body parts), double damage etc... and the other new things in UT3 such as the jump boots, slow field generator etc...

Comment

Sure, that's what I'm aiming for. Static meshes would be a brilliant start that would give us the new pickup designs. Then sounds to complete it, and then look into vehicles and other things. My aim would be to port the most enjoyable factors of UT3 to UT2004 without the need of a TC mod and with full configuration, because different people prefer different things.

Comment

Sorry for a double post, but wow, just looked at the 3D Ripper, it looks powerful! With that we could recreate maps with ease! Too bad it doesn't work on the UT3 Demo.
                        Also, I might get all of the sounds in UT3, so I might be able to create voice packs and pickup sounds!

Comment

Sounds can be easly extracted with some UT3 sound extraction tool, however they are in Ogg format. Aswell as some sounds are combined with others.
                          But with correct tools it is totally possible.

Comment

Yes, even Nero can convert sounds from OGG to WAV. The problem is, I only have the demo.

Comment

When Epic Released some of the models for UT3 for animators I put Harlin into UT2004:

Look his left eye works in UT2004 unlike UT3 where it is black

One model two versions with mask and without.

He really need his voicepack "F-YEAH!"

Comment

Working...
                              X