gravity gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gravity gun

i don't know if this has been made yet... but if it's made already could someone give me the link?

i dont have a link but i know Unreal 4Ever has a gravity gun of sorts, you should check it out.

Comment

Of course the bigger issue here is that there are not any 'moveable' objects/decorations in standard UT2kx maps so a gravity gun does not do much good.

Comment

i have the Industrial Anti-Gravity Moverrifle (not the U4E one, another 1)
        It can throw stuff around... dunno if that helps.

Comment

already got that one... but thanks anyway... and i wanted the hl2 one

Comment

It would be so cool if a configurable mutator could be made to spawn stuff like the movable boxes etc from Exion mod, and maybe Rumple's fire & goop barrels, and maybe some round saw blades that go k-thunk and stick in the wall, sort of like the stakes from Stake Out mod,.... and all this stuff could be moved/tossed by the U4E IAM or another grav gun... oh man...

Comment

It would be so cool if a configurable mutator could be made to spawn stuff like the movable boxes etc from Exion mod
              I've been tinkering with an actor class which is descended from
              GoodKarma::NetKactor
              but had I envisioned the actors would be compiled into a map, not fired from a weapon (ala constructor gun).

These can be spawned with whatever mesh you wish, to serve as movable (and destroyable) boxes, balls, barrels, surfboards... as long as the assigned mesh has a corresponding collision mesh. Some of the other features exposed via the defaultproperties of the class:
              * settable damage threshhold
              * settable 'reset' duration (disappear and respawn at starting location)
              * can setup a given actor to spawn 'goodies' (health, shield, redeemer pickup, etc) when its destroyed
              * can assign a different mesh to display when in damaged state
              * can assign custom explosions/fx bound to the destroyed event
              * the actor senses the difference between being 'punted' (bumped by a player) vs weaponfire
              * can set differing event sounds for bump, for punt, for destroyed
              * can assign custom mesh, skin, mass, to each actor instance
              * (also bouyancy, friction, etc)

From memory, I think you can also specify a hurt radius and amount bound to the destroyed event.

Examples of the actors are embedded into a sample map which the dev, wrench, told me had been successfully trialed online... but playing the map has often crashed my game. Either the game engine or my tired ol' PC can't seem to handle managing the physics of too many free-moving objects zooming around at high velocities. Like, explode a redeemer warhead in the lobby... and you may see 2 or 5 seconds worth of chairs and and tables and potted plants bouncing all over the place, then CRASH, back to the desktop staring at a game error dialog. It must work online, maybe not handling ridiculously high velocities though, because a derivative of the NKactor class was used in the KillingFloor mod.

The surfboard idea is pretty cool. Stand (crouch is better, so you don't fall off) on a NKactor whose mesh resembles a door off its hinges, or a piece of plywood... and shoot the end opposite where you're standing, shoot it with LinkGun alt fire... and its a hell of a wild ride across uneven terrain. But I discovered the physics is wonky when the NKactor crosses a BSP intersection. Sometimes it gets stuck at the BSP joint, like kick a crate and it sometimes scoots across the roof, but sticks out past the edge (instead of falling off) and gets stuck. Moving too fast (how fast is TOO fast? Idunno) the NKactor may slice clean through thin solid walls, or may get stuck (sticking half outside the wall and you walk around and see the other end protruding from the opposite side of the wall). Log shows lots of "fell out of world" warnings, but I guess a 'stuck' NKactor doesn't disappear (get destroyed) unless its origin(?) vertex passes out of world.

Here's a better picture of what I mean by 'stuck'. I edited the map and subtracted an octagonal tube. The plan was to kick around a NKactor ball, kicking it into the hole would score the player a point and the xKicker at the bottom of the pit would autoeject the ball. Nope. Half the time, the ball would roll over the hole and get stuck at the BSP edge insead of falling into the pit... and I mean STUCK! Kicking it, shooting it, nothing could dislodge it once it was stuck. So, I made the ball destroyable (and another copy would respawn back at the starting location).

and all this stuff could be moved/tossed by the U4E IAM or another grav gun...
              I tried the gravgun concept, and it didn't work well. Nobody "owns" a NKactor, so if you shoot one across the room and it plows into a player and kills her... the game chalks up the kill to environmental damage or something. Killer == None. I tried to figure out how to track LastHit (like getting credit when your shock ball pushes someone off a cliff) but ran into wierdness. The player hit by the flying NKactor can be stored, but that doesn't help. I guess figuring out how to have an NKactor store 'player whose weaponfire last added Kimpulse to me' would be the ticket.

Anyhow, if you care to suggest an interesting gameplay concept based around the kickable, shootable, destroyable NKactors, I might be interested in building it. Really the only thing I've considered trying was a Crash Bandicoot type of level where you run (timed) and avoid hazards and creatures while smashing crates to collect 'goodies'... and I'm stuck not knowing how to code something "persistent" (like DBestTimes for Assault trials) so that the server tracks whether you were faster than last run, and which player has been the fastest so far, for each map in the rotation.

Comment

Although this was a fairly old thread I just wanted to toss out the idea of also using "dumb" base unreal physics for some objects that fit the collision cylinder, vice more processor intensive karma. I also seem to remember reading over on the UDN that there is a limit (~250) on the number of karma objects permitted to be active in a level at once.

I coded a decoration actor based on the one in the original Unreal (with a little bit of the Deus Ex behavior) and it worked reasonably well for simple objects (phys_falling and phys_walking worked pretty well, the only uscript needed to run was imparting velocity based on contact or taking damage and adding damping factors). The network load was not quite as much either.

In any case, the network load (even in modern game engines) is always going to be a problem with more interactive map objects (compare the physics objects in the multiplayer mode for HL2 versus singleplayer). If the maps being player are optimized (zoned) properly then hopefully each client would only have a few interactive objects relevant to them at any time...

Comment

Originally posted by melissa_jo View Post
                  [...]These can be spawned with whatever mesh you wish, to serve as movable (and destroyable) boxes, balls, barrels, surfboards... as long as the assigned mesh has a corresponding collision mesh.[...]
                  That sounds like some kind of "JunkWar", only with bigger stuff and the exeption that you don't throw it on your own but with a gravgun. If the whole map was filled with this junk and everyone only gets that gravgun, this sounds like a lot of fun.
                  But I understand that without the killcount this would be just like a sandbox thing. I hope you will find a solution for that.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all that thought melissa_jo.
                    I just thought it would be fun to whack invasion zombies ala Gordon Freeman. But other players too, sure. Can you change the objects properties to be like projectiles once picked up?
                    I like Meowcat's keep it as simple as possible idea; The effect I was thinking of wouldn't require tons of stuff everywhere, "hopefully each client would only have a few interactive objects relevant to them at any time..." ... basically Barionyx hit it on the head. As for other ideas... need to ruminate....

Comment

Oops, we're not on the same page.
                      JunkWars is way different.

Players never actually pick up and hold the movable NKactors, they just interact by kicking/bumping or shooting at them. The movable actors may be set to spawn goodies when destroyed, and players can scoop those legitimate pickups but that's different from JunkWars.

Even if we (WE, because you're gonna help, right?) can't solve the LastHitBy issue, scoring could be setup like LMS. Elimination -- lose xx lives and the player is OUT. Another scoring possibility would be from destroying the movable actors or rolling/pushing them into a goal.

The GoodKarma demo level included a soccer (knocker) ball and showed that score could be incremented via placed volumes. Event code for the volumes called scoreevent() and destroyed/reset the ball. The detail I got excited about (and I don't know whether the "dumb" physics applied to a bStatic=False sMesh would allow the same 'finesse') was seeing that the engine considered WHERE, on the surface of the ball, the impulse was applied, in addition to the weaponfire vector. You're able to strategize by adding english (spin) to the ball when you take a shot -- majorly significant. It's hard to describe here in text, but it's immediately noticeable when you're playing. Except for that spin element, BomgingRun and Deathball already cover ball-based gameplay very well.

@meowcat
                      The positions of GoodKarma NKactors only get replicated when netDirty, and I seem to recall that the code even checks CanPlayerSeeMe() before executing some of the state/event routines, so I trust it's been thoroughly optimized. My logs and crash dumps typically showed "Tick" and "out of world" and that's why I suspected my problem was due to the engine struggling to calculate positions for objects traveling at high velocities. The GoodKarma author did, I think, mention in his notes that "bouyancy greater than 0... can be a performance killer. If NKactors are constantly bobbling on a fluid surface, they are continually netDirty..."

Comment

I guess there is a misunderstanding :P
                        Originally posted by Barionyx View Post
                        [...]kind of "JunkWar", only with bigger stuff and the exeption that you don't throw it on your own but with a gravgun[...]
                        I understand that you would not possess the throwable stuff as you do in Junkwar.
                        Which results in the scoring problem. But I like your idea to avoid that by using the LMS system.

Originally posted by melissa_jo
                        Even if we (WE, because you're gonna help, right?) [...]
                        Do you mean me with that? If yes, well I barely have any knowledge of coding...

Comment

Working...
                        X